• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's Dirt Grow-Almost done..

Weekend March 2-3:
I’ve been working on the garden for years; it was dormant for a few years (like 10) while I changed careers. The base soil if you want to call it that is sand. I added heavy black dirt to the upper 2/3 years ago; I’ve since added heavy red dirt (clay ) to half of the lower 1/3. For two years straight I’ve added 4”s of compost to the upper 2/3 and this year 4”s to the bottom 1/3. I clean horse pens for the free manure; kitchen waste is added to the compost. Our property is on a slope and heavy rains cause erosion problems. Above the garden the land is heavily terraced to divert water runoff.
Finished concreting the base of the fence, used 22 80lb bags, the Waskily Wabbits should be done, until they find another way in. They have been a real menace! I tried a hot wire system, it was not too effective and killed birds and squirrels; I didn’t like that.

5.jpg

Planted the Onions January 15th, Garlic was planted September 15th. They took a beating with the 30mph winds, 55 mph gusts last Monday.

6.jpg

Tilled and my wife planted corn, cukes, watermelons, bush beans and cantelope.

17.jpg

Bush Beans above

11.jpg

Cukes, and Melons behind the Rosemary above.

Corn below.

14.jpg

I started these the first week of January; I think I got carried away.

1.jpg

The Potatoes, planted February 15th are coming up. I planted then 8”s deep and I keep covering them up, and will do so until the ground is level where planted.

7.jpg

Never ending mulch pile.

9.jpg

Hmmm.. too many images...

GA Growhead said:
That's a pretty substantial winter harvest! The cut back plants look good.
Thanks Jay,
Sad to end like this, at least the new gals are already in the wings. I can't remember a cold front lasting more than 3 or 4 days, this has got to be slamming the whole country.

capsidadburn said:
Looking good Scott!  No worries on the cut back overwinters.  Great late harvests you have. 

There is supposed to be sleet and some talk of possible snow here.

Take care
Mike
Thanks Mike!

The weather is crazy for this early. Every time I look the numbers go down..
981.jpg

You may just get that snow!

WalkGood said:
Woot awesome pull, pictures and band saw :D

Looks like you made a great call on the cut back, you got me thinking about it as well and it’ll give me a break for a while, lol

Hab a great Sunday brethren!
Thanks Ramon!

The cutting back will make the winter easier for sure. Those 20gal bags are mas pesado, it's hard on me and them to move them around. And then the grubs...nasty thangs.

That bandsaw is a blessing, it easily rips 10.5" logs into boards. That's how I ripped all the Mesquite I used for furniture. I quickly learned ripping on a table saw is super dangerous, dang thing throws your work back atcha!

stickman said:
Freakin' awesome last pull Scott! No love for the beetle grubs, but at least you found the bastiges and I presume sent them to their reward...?

It only hurts to prune back the plants the first time... trust me on this... when you see them pushing out new growth in a week or so you'll see how hard they are to kill. Good luck with your OW project, and keep us posted!
Thanks Rick!

Still have more to pick today, it's 38° and raining, we always accept the rain here! At least the wind died down today, we're on the north side of a ridge and there's plenty of room for it to get ripping through here.

All those grubs are in a bucket, don't know what to do with the nasty critters. I will say this they made the soil like perfect compost, looks like coffee. They can have the trade off.

I'm sure the OW's will do fine, still looking to see when it's going to get warm again, so they can get some sun.

Thanks for stopping by!

Devv said:
Thanks Jay,
Sad to end like this, at least the new gals are already in the wings. I can't remember a cold front lasting more than 3 or 4 days, this has got to be slamming the whole country.

Thanks Mike!

The weather is crazy for this early. Every time I look the numbers go down..
981.jpg

You may just get that snow!

Still have more to pick today, it's 38° and raining, we always accept the rain here! At least the wind died down today, we're on the north side of a ridge and there's plenty of room for it to get ripping through here.

Yup, got our first snow to stick last night. Only half an inch or less, but the first time this season it hasn't melted on contact with the ground. It's cold and windy enough that the ice crystals are blowing across the ground too. The birds at the feeders are going nuts this morning.
SANY0519_zpsf4cc1880.jpg

SANY0520_zps1a7b354f.jpg

Since you were talking about it, I thought you might enjoy a pic from the old stomping grounds... sorry for the hijack... now back to your regular program... ;)

First snow...ehh... If we can believe the weather forecast, we are going to have some next week, too. I have the feeling that winter is coming :-)

HabaneroHead said:
First snow...ehh... If we can believe the weather forecast, we are going to have some next week, too. I have the feeling that winter is coming :-)
Oh winter is here in Tejas, never seen this long of a cold front blow in.

It's an 8 day cold event, could go longer.

So I had a bright idea, make puree out of the Reaper's, Primo's, Red Bhuts, and a few Hab's. Wound up with 2lbs, 1.5 or so of it supers.

982.jpg

John (Sawyer) warned me about clean up, I left the seeds in the pods and ran them through a sieve, no problem cooking or pushing them through the sieve. Now when I had scraped the sieve and then used the sink sprayer to rinse the sieve...that was an eye opening experience, or should I say a sinus trauma. Though I was gonna die!

Finished product, got some woozy's en-route. Gonna stick it in the fridge to marinate until then..
987.jpg

I started some seeds for next year:

Jigsaw-Dale 4/7
Manzano-Rick via Shane 0/8
TSMB-Annie 1/2
Peach Bhut-Annie 1/2
Giant Yellow 7-Annie 1/2
White Bhut-Ramon 4/5
MOA-Ramon 5/9 was 6/9 poor gal
Bishops Crown-store 0/2
Devils tongue-store 1/2
White Hab-store 3/3 lost one
BOC-Mike 2/3 lost one
Sepia Serpent-Mike via Jason 2/3 lost one
Goat pepper-Mike 0/2
Giant Yellow Brains-Annie 2/3
TS Moruga X Bhut-Spicegeist 1/2
Trin perfume-Annie 1/2
Fatalli-store 1/2
Yellow Fatalli-Annie 4/6 lost one
Bhut x Y7 x Choc Bhut Douglah-Spicegeist 2/2
Yellow Cardi-Jamie 2/2
[Douglah x Butch T] x Superhot-Spicegeist 0/2
Bhut x Y7 F2-SPiceGeist 2/2
Choc Scorp-Ramon 2/2 lost one
Trin Choc Bonnet-Mike via Jason 2/2
Red Recotto-store 1/7 lost-helmet, ones hooking
Trin Scorp-Ramon 0/1
Barrackpore-Jamie 2/2
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorp-Mike via Jason 0/2
Bonda-Annie 2/2
Douglah-Rick 1/2
Aji Crystal-store 1/2
Jays Red gost scorp-Mike via Jason 2/2
Cumari do para-Mike 1/2
choco bhut-douglah-Spicegeist 2/2
Scotch Bonnet-store 1/2
Brainstrain-Jamie 1/2
Red Bhut-Ramon 2/2
Mystery Red-Jamie 1/2
Black Congo-store 0/2
JA Hab-Ramon 1/3
Yellow 7-Matt 1/2
BubbleGum 7- Mike via Jason 1/2

Edited list 11-25

Annuum's to be planted next week.

A few progress shots:

988.jpg

As you can see already too many..glad I made the grow station though with it being a high of 38° today.
989.jpg

Using a spread sheet and numbering system until they get larger.
990.jpg

991.jpg

992.jpg

Helmet head working it out on its own..
993.jpg

Cooked a spiral ham on the pit today, 1.5 hours of Mesquite smoke, then painted with apple butter between the slices, wrapped in foil for another 4-5 hours @ 275°
996.jpg

Is good!
997.jpg

Lots of seedlings, congrats Mon!!! But you are a glutton for punishment … as it looks like you’ll be super busy for another big season ;) I noticed the cardboard boxes for dem, I did the same till the rains stated a few days back and ruined my boxes, it’s a great cheap idea. Now I’ll probably check the dollar store for a few cheap plastic trays …

Beautiful looking spiral ham, dam me so hungry now … a few slices with eggs at this time in da morning for me would go well \o/ Awesome plating shot, is dat pineapple from the garden? BTW the last one I harvested now has 3 slips coming out the main stalk, no matter how hard I try to stop growing dem, the ladies find a way to pull me back in, lol.

GA Growhead said:
Serious list!
Haha! You know how it goes...this season will be the weeding out season, for at least these varieties. I'll decide which to toss and which to keep. I just looked at your list from this past season...that's like calling the kettle black ;)

WalkGood said:
Lots of seedlings, congrats Mon!!! But you are a glutton for punishment … as it looks like you’ll be super busy for another big season ;) I noticed the cardboard boxes for dem, I did the same till the rains stated a few days back and ruined my boxes, it’s a great cheap idea. Now I’ll probably check the dollar store for a few cheap plastic trays …

Beautiful looking spiral ham, dam me so hungry now … a few slices with eggs at this time in da morning for me would go well \o/ Awesome plating shot, is dat pineapple from the garden? BTW the last one I harvested now has 3 slips coming out the main stalk, no matter how hard I try to stop growing dem, the ladies find a way to pull me back in, lol.

Thanks Ramon!

Once they get older and I know they're safe I'll be gifting some to buddies. Always easier to start more and thin the group back. Dell boxes I got, brought home 20 or so to add to the 15 in the shops attic. AND we don't get the rain you do,  I bring them out of the rain to control the water they get when they're little gals.

That particular Pineapple was store bought, the one we harvested this year was the tastiest one we've ever eaten. We let it turn golden before harvesting it, so sweet! We have 6 going now, can't beat them, they require very little care.

The ham when cooked down like that makes for fantastic sandwiches!

Enjoy the week it's a short one!

That puree must have been a wicked one......I know the feeling when cleaning a foodmill......ha, or even rinsing seeds before planting...It's a hell coughing adventure.

That's a vast variety of seed selection, you have all levels of spice for any dish. The Ham looks delish, the added smoke must have real brought out the flavor. The Apple/Butter layering sounds like a WINNER.

The seedlings look healthy, Scott you're off to a great start for next season..

Have a Happy Thanksgiving !

Great job as usual Scott!  Lots of seedlings that will be much more mature come March and April.  Those Bahama Goat seeds were pretty old and so few.  If they don't pop hopefully somebody else has some fresher cause its worth a taste and grow.

I can taste that Ham in my mind, Yum!

Bundle up and have a good one!

Mike

PIC 1 said:
That puree must have been a wicked one......I know the feeling when cleaning a foodmill......ha, or even rinsing seeds before planting...It's a hell coughing adventure.

That's a vast variety of seed selection, you have all levels of spice for any dish. The Ham looks delish, the added smoke must have real brought out the flavor. The Apple/Butter layering sounds like a WINNER.

The seedlings look healthy, Scott you're off to a great start for next season..

Have a Happy Thanksgiving !
Thanks Greg!
Oh that puree is deadly, mainly we made it because the freezers are full and this can be canned. And I learned yet another lesson, aren't we always learning?
Cooking the ham on the pit is a great way to make fantastic sandwich meat, definitely worth a try.
My goal with the early start is to NOT have to wait until Nov. for the supers to be ready for harvest. A lot of things didn't get done because the garden ran so late, gonna use what I learned and get a hopefully nice June harvest so we can travel.

Back atcha on the Happy Thanksgiving!
capsidadburn said:
Great job as usual Scott!  Lots of seedlings that will be much more mature come March and April.  Those Bahama Goat seeds were pretty old and so few.  If they don't pop hopefully somebody else has some fresher cause its worth a taste and grow.

I can taste that Ham in my mind, Yum!

Bundle up and have a good one!

Mike
Thanks Mike!

Jason asked me if I wanted any seeds and I'm pretty sure those were on my list. Hoping to set them out, weather permitting March 15th, and have them set before the heat gets here. If they get to big I can trim them, I may be too early, but I'm thinking it's better than late like this year...

So did you get snow? It sure looked like it was close this AM. We burned quite a bit of wood this weekend...for sure.

Tomorrow the sun is supposed to shine, I'm ready for normal weather for sure!

Have a great Thanksgiving!

One good thing about your woodworking hobby is you have plenty of scraps to burn, eh Scott? ;)  Seedlings are looking great! They'll be ready to hit the ground running when you set them out fo' sho". :)

Hope you and yours have a great T-day!

I hear you on the puree cleanup. I did a batch of Butch Ts earlier this fall, and while I did cook it outside on the grill burner, the cleanup was rather tough on the lungs. 

One interesting thing I learned about the puree: That $hit is so damn hot that you can't hardly use it. It preserves the pepper flavor very nicely, but when you use all supers, it is rather warm. 

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Yes please stay away frost. Funny thing is I took a power nap before going to work and I dreamt I had a frost here in SoCal

Keep rocking Jason!!
Thanks Denniz!

I'm thinking tonight is the night, if not most definitely tomorrow night. Slated for 32° and 29° respectively as per the latest forecast. If that's the case I'm OK with that a 9 month growing season is plenty for warm season crops. Especially if the rains return to "normal", the closest lake is @ 4% capacity...not cool..

stickman said:
One good thing about your woodworking hobby is you have plenty of scraps to burn, eh Scott? ;)  Seedlings are looking great! They'll be ready to hit the ground running when you set them out fo' sho". :)

Hope you and yours have a great T-day!
Thanks Rick!

I have the scraps and this:
999.jpg

It's 4 rows thick, mostly from Ma nature trimming the trees with the drought. Usually when it rains the dry brittle trees load up on water and huge branches drop. Last year or the year before one large branch dropped, using a Husky 20" saw and the tractor with a bucket it took me 24 hours over two weekends just to bring them up to the shop front for splitting. Right now I have a tree that was hit by lightning and dies to cut up, and hopefully not this one:

1000.jpg

1001.jpg

It's got to be over 400 years old and much bigger around than a fridge. It started dropping leaves during the summer two years ago, they would come back after a rain, but not this year. I'm going to see what it does this spring. This tree was my first avatar taken after an ice storm, I would really hate to lose it.

Thanks for the T-day wishes, I hope yours is a tasty day!

Jeff H said:
I hear you on the puree cleanup. I did a batch of Butch Ts earlier this fall, and while I did cook it outside on the grill burner, the cleanup was rather tough on the lungs. 

One interesting thing I learned about the puree: That $hit is so damn hot that you can't hardly use it. It preserves the pepper flavor very nicely, but when you use all supers, it is rather warm. 
Oh it's deadly, LB needed room in the fridge for the turkey, she wanted to put the puree in a tupperware container. I was in the shower, and the dehydrator has been going, when I came into the kitchen it smelled like we had just added more. She was gagging, and coughing, just moving it cold tore her up! And me just walking by after she was finished. I know it's too hot to use directly, but once canned I can use it to make sauces. And store it on a shelf.

I'm thinking about bringing it to work :D

I received this from Jamison yesterday:
998.jpg

Gonna hit the soil in the morning.

Thanks buddy!

I think tomorrow is gonna be busy, driving out of town to my sons first T-Day gathering, they're baking and frying turkeys, cooking ham and all the fixin's. So I have the 4 G-kids around me with some more family, should be a good time.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great Thanksgiving! Enjoy the loved ones, this is a special time of year, we have so much to be thankful for!

Damn brotha, that list is insanely long. Sooo cool how most of them are from people on here. I hope them yellow brains germ for ya. Please, let me know if you are looking for anything else. Have tons of varieties.

Pinoy83 said:
thatssss a lot of woooodddd :fireball:
It wouldn't be there if I had to pay for it ;)

Jamison said:
Damn brotha, that list is insanely long. Sooo cool how most of them are from people on here. I hope them yellow brains germ for ya. Please, let me know if you are looking for anything else. Have tons of varieties.
Thanks again for the seeds Jamison!

I think I'm good on more seeds at the moment, hoping I didn't overload my tail end here....thanks for offering!

megahot said:
Everything is lookin awesome Devv! Great list ya got there from a lot of top notch growers:) Will be following
Thanks!

The people here are very generous and I appreciate them sending me the seeds and pods.

Yall have a great Thanksgiving!

Really glad I took the time to catch up on your glog Scott, you've still got so much great stuff going on! And I love your commitment - not content with pulling and processing hundreds of Autumn pods, you get right into starting an early (and massive) 2014 grow. Best of luck to your fave OW's too. I'm sure they'll come out the other side bigger and better.

Question - do you have a specific use for the orange habs you've got growing? It seems to my simple mind that you've got other superior habs growing, so I was curious as to whether they filled a particular niche. Are they an essential part of a fave recipe or something, or do you just simply have a soft spot for them?    

Back