• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

How many of you like your Coffee BLACK???

How do you take your coffee?

• Black

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • Cream Only

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Sugar Only

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Cream and Sugar

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Other

Votes: 6 17.1%

• Total voters

Flamecycle

Extreme Member
I had never thought about it before but recently stumbled onto a thread on another site for people claiming to like "spicy" foods. It was suggested that there may be a link between liking spicy foods and liking black coffee.

There also seemed to be some support for a link between affinity for spice, and affinity for dark and bitter beers, as well as whiskey. I would find it quite interesting if these correlations are statistically relevant.

Anyways, I like my coffee black. How do you take yours?

Is it odd that i just dont drink it all, I think i have had 2 cups in my entire 37 year life.

Nah.

My parents drank lots of coffee when I grew up and would give it to us occasionally as a treat mixed heavily with cream and sugar - so I learned to like the taste when I was younger. Then there was college - I moved on to the direct IV injection of espresso method...

I think your background is a big determinant of whether you ever start drinking coffee.

I'm good for 2-3 pots a day. First is regular and beyond that is either decaf or half caf. In fact, I've got a mug right now :-)..Eight O'Clock coffee (whole bean) is my brand of choice...

Voted other as I like it many different ways but must be good, strong and with fresh ground beans. By different ways I mean with milk or without, with or without sugar, with ice cream, with or without fresh ground cinnamon, Café Espresso con Espuma FTW! I drink 2 cups in the morning and sometimes an espresso after lunch but not every day.

Coffee is always black and the darker the better. Espresso is a bit bitter and can benefit from some sugar and cream...and now it is cappuccino which is fine by me.

Coffee with cream ONLY, but cream and sugar in iced coffee. Sounds strange but it makes a difference to me. The iced is more like a dessert.

Drink many cups of coffee per day. Iced, occasionally. Oh, and has to be turbinado or agave syrup. ;)

I put enough cream/suagr just to take the edge off. There are some coffees I drink black. ice coffee? yuck..that just seems unnatural to me :shame: hahaha

Never heard of iced coffee sounding unnatural. You walk down a city street in summer when it's 98, what do you get? Iced coffee da bomb in summer. You can have your sodas and lemonades.

I dink many many hot cups per day, also in summer. :)

Never heard of iced coffee sounding unnatural. You walk down a city street in summer when it's 98, what do you get?

I get regular coffee. Remember, sweating helps you feel cooler. Coffee icecream though is a different matter entirely. That is much better cold than hot. :D

Coffee with cream ONLY, but cream and sugar in iced coffee. Sounds strange but it makes a difference to me. The iced is more like a dessert.

Drink many cups of coffee per day. Iced, occasionally. Oh, and has to be turbinado or agave syrup. ;)

Me too! iced coffee in the heat of the summer is great....i like cream and vanilla syrup in it.
Something about the sweet part makes it better.

I'm good for 2-3 pots a day. First is regular and beyond that is either decaf or half caf. In fact, I've got a mug right now :-)..Eight O'Clock coffee (whole bean) is my brand of choice...

Same here....3 pots of coffee...2 people...drinkimg so,e right now ;)
but it is caffinated and strong... :)

We get whole beans at cosco, kirkland brand roasted by starbucks...green bag...
2 lbs for $13 and has good flavor :)

I drink black coffee. Love my bourbon straight and neat. Beers? Sammy Adams bud.. sorry.

I love coffee. I want it black and dark roasted. Couple of things. If you put creamer and sugar in your cofee that is cool but don't you think my vote on cofee should count twice yours? The other thing, if you don't drink cofee or if you put creamer and sugar in your coffe don't claim that people with preferences are being fooled by marketing

I don't talk about coffee at work but others will talk to me about it.

How do yo drink the coffee at work? It tastes like piss. I like good coffeee I like bad cofee. Its free, its there. I'll have to take your word on the piss thing. I don't really know.
Can you really tell the difference? Yes, and you can too it is not that subtle in many cases.
Paying $5 for a cup of starbucks is ridiculous, your're just paying for an image not coffee. A cup of coffee doesn't cost $5. Do you drink coffee? no

Paying $5 for a cup of starbucks is ridiculous, your're just paying for an image not coffee. A cup of coffee doesn't cost $5. Do you drink coffee? no

We look at Starbucks as an occassional treat, when we go into town to run errands etc... I just get coffee w/cream $2.25....with the rewards card, after 12 drinks you get a free one of your choice, so when that time comes I order a white chocolate mocha with 4 extra espresso shots :) and that would normally be $7.50 or so..... gotta love that free drink!!

I had never thought about it before but recently stumbled onto a thread on another site for people claiming to like "spicy" foods. It was suggested that there may be a link between liking spicy foods and liking black coffee.

There also seemed to be some support for a link between affinity for spice, and affinity for dark and bitter beers, as well as whiskey. I would find it quite interesting if these correlations are statistically relevant.

Anyways, I like my coffee black. How do you take yours?

There is a link between black coffee preference and alcohol preference, such that if a human possesses the proper combination of taste buds that predispose the human to prefer bitter-tasting foods (brussels sprouts, black coffee, etc.), they may be at a higher rate of predisposition for alcoholism. Alcohol is bitter. That is why we sweeten it prior to consuming it. If a person prefers the bitter taste of alcohol, they may tend to consume larger quantities, upregulating dopamine and forming an addictive pathway. Of course, liking black coffee doesn't mean you are guaranteed to become a drunkard, it is just one possible predictor. I despise black coffee. I can't stand my coffee tasting like actual coffee. I like a beer every once in a while, but still think it tastes somewhat aversive. Peppers on the other hand are quite tasty. I can not think of a possible third variable or link between black coffee and peppers. Was it related to the feeling more than the taste? Maybe the dopamine/endorphin rush? Peppers cause pain and discomfort, prompting endorphins to relieve the pain but caffeine doesn't cause pain. I am curious now, gonna have to give this more thought when I have time.

Back