• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Trying to find a 36" grow bulb for office

So here's my story, I've shared it with a few THP members already that I've been talking to, but I figured I'd get the public involved:

I don't have room for a grow setup at home, I can't get 4' T8 lights and such, BUT, what I do have is a decent space on my desk at work, and the desk has a 36" 30w Sylvania cool white light bulb in the fixture. I know that's worked in the past for plants, but then once I bring them out of the basement (no windows in my office) they tend to get shocked going into natural sunlight. I had the great idea of looking around for a 30w 36" bulb that's more natural or full spectrum, but it seems that finding them in a 36" bulb is near impossible. I found one for a good price, but it supposedly says it's 18000k as far as color goes, yet they advertise it as good for both fish and plants (supposed to be for a fish tank primarily I'm guessing:

http://www.amazon.com/Glo-Aqua-Glo-Fluorescent-Aquarium-30-Watt/dp/B0002AQLS8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363878967&sr=8-1&keywords=36%22+t8+bulb

I know this isn't the best option, but as I said, finding a near 5000k bulb in Lowes or Home Depot seems like slim chances, since their web sites don't have much in the full/natural color spectrum.

I believe it's also a T8 bulb, I'm not too sure on all the bulb formats, but my office light is a 36" long tube fluorescent bulb, 2 prongs on each end, about 1" diameter, and to hook it up, you kinda put it in with the prongs vertical and then twist the bulb to lock it in and have it make a connection. From what I've seen it looks like the T8 bulbs have the same format, but this is coming from a shop-light novice.

Any ideas or leads for a bulb that might work for me? As I said, the cool white does work, but it's not full spectrum and I want to try to do it right. Short of getting a few desk lamps with full spectrum incandescent bulbs, I'm not sure if there are any fluorescents that fit my critera.

Thanks in advance for any leads.

Are you handy at wiring? You can get a vanity light and mount on a board or a few light sockets and use flouro's or mix flouro's and incandescent for heat if you are starting in a cool area as an alternative. Walmart has the smaller aquarium/ grow lights as well http://tinyurl.com/buep3mu Dimensions: 21 in. long x 1.875 in. deep x 2.25 in. high

Thanks for that, but Walmart is just showing it for some other retailer, so it's not available in walmart stores, plus didn't really mention a kelvin value so I'm not sure how close to full spectrum it is. My ideal situation would be to just get a replacement bulb just something that's the appropriate light so it would just fit in the shop light I already have on my desk, not trying to have an apparatus hanging from it. If that's the case I may just end up getting the 24" hydrofarm starter lamp, but I'm trying to avoid that since it would take up that much more room on my desk in the office.

I have bought one in Walmart before. Its a Standard F15T8 grow light bulb

Light Output: 700 Lumens Energy Used: 15 Watts Rated Life: 7,500 Hours Base: G13 Medium Bipin Length: 18 Inches Diameter: 1 Inch Color Temperature: 6500 CRI: 60 Bulb Type: T8
GE.gif

6500.png

Ah ok, and it's decent for seed starting/keeping the plants going? I'll look around, Maybe I can find something similar on Amazon. I have prime on my account so I prefer to just get the free shipping, lol.

Does that bulb in the link I posted at the top make any sense though? It seems the details are generic since they put the same features on 3 different bulbs they sell, but 18000k seemed a bit out of range. I figured if the specs are wrong on it, that one may work well as far as fitting in my light.

Also, I think I may have stumbled on something. I started looking for direct replacements of my bulb (Turns out I found that it said F30T8/CW), and I did find one F30T8, but the temperature shows 4200k. Is that too low for plants? I know around 5000-6500 is acceptable. Wasn't sure how well 4200 would work.

you should keep the spectrum in the 6500 lumens (blue) for growth primarily and the lower range 3000 (red) is more in the blooming spectrum. You can mix the blue/red spectrums if you have multiple fixtures.
I have a couple of shop lights that have 6500 lumens till I can get the plants into the ground in early May (Mothers Day) I have had good luck in doing so. If you are going to grow entirely indoors there are other lighting ideas in numerous threads here and A LOT about the color spectrums.

Thanks, nah I'm only starting the seeds indoors. You're nearby so you know it's still crap weather out (snow flakes still falling around me in LI today). So I just wanted to get a head start on sprouting until it's warm enough to bring them outdoors.

Back