• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pickled Mezzetta "Cali pickled Hot Chili"

As a new guy to "heat" I'm trying to figure out the scale, I'm growing lots of different peppers, but Im trying to figure out on how hot is "hot". These peppers I mentioned in the title "Mezzetta "Cali pickled Hot Chili peppers". Are where in the scale. Im in ontario and I go to subway and ask for extra jalapeƱos and I feel no heat, but I pop a couple of these and I can feel the heat. So where am I, and has anyone tried these store bought chilis? What kind are they?

Mike

I think I know the ones you mean, yellow and small-ish, but I`m not sure what kind of chili pepper they are. The last time I had some in a burger joint in Glendale, I ate about 30 of them with my meal. They were really great. Good quality pickles, a little burn, but nothing too hot IMHO. I`d say they were about serrano hot, maybe a bit less, so around 10-15,000 Scoville units. I guess that puts them about 10 times lower than a store-bought habanero, which I believe run about 150,000 scoville units. If you see any Manzano peppers in your supermarket, try one of those. They are bigger and much heavier than orange habaneros, yellow-ish orange and the heat runs more like 50,000 SHU. They can weight as much as 50g, so don`t eat a whole one as that`s a lot of pepper.

From my experience, there is a big difference between a store bought hab. and one you grow yourself. It`s then a long long way to something like a Fatalii, which is usually a lot lower than a Bhut Jolokia.

Thanks!

6D00C2B7-09A3-4F72-A309-2DFE9F916F68-6850-000004EC8DCC6E02_zps14de1d69.jpg

These are the spicy little bastards I'm talking about. Being new to "hotness" these ones are perfect for my heat tolerence. I get the flavor, and the heat is about right, so what's next for me until my plants mature????

Btw. Yes, I am a heat pu55y, one day I will be eating ghosts like mutha fix3in breakfast pop tarts. Until then...... Baby steps....

Yep, those are the ones. Delicious!

No-one is a heat pu55y as far as I`m concerned. It doesn`t matter whether you think Jalapenos are hot or eat 3 Carolina Reapers with every meal. Just enjoy whatever it is you eat.

If you can get Serranos at the store, try those. Pickle some, too. Orange habaneros are usually available all over the place. Try them in small bits first, as the flavour is entirely different and they are quite warm!!! If there are Asian or Indian markets near you, you might find other types of fresh chili there. Also watch out on here for people selling fresh chili pods.

What varieties do you have planted?

Here is what I planted so far
Peperoncini--------------6/0
Black Hungarian--------6/0
Fish-----------------------6/0
Beaver Dam-------------6/0
Chervena Chushka----6/0
White Hab---------------3/0
Antoni Romanian-------3/0
Mirasol-------------------3/0
Cascabelle--------------3/0
Apache Red-------------3/0
Cayenetta F1-----------3/0
Cajun Belle--------------3/0
Zavory--------------------3/0

I just started then so I'm a little bit late. I am also waiting on a bunch of super hot seeds to come in. I've actually never looked at the grocery store for fresh chillis, but I'll check it out.

Nice selection, Mike. Be careful with any superhots.

I`ve been a chilihead for 30 +years, or I thought I was. You know, the idiot that goes into a Thai, Indian etc restaurant and says "make it as hot as you possibly can". I`ve been making Habanero poppers for many years from peppers I grew. Then about 3 years ago a friend grew some Bhut Jolokia. I`d never had a chili I didn`t like or that was too hot. So I put a whole one in my mouth, then a second. After about 2-3 minutes I honestly thought I would need to go to the ER. It was so incredibly painful I didn`t know what to do. Then I got some oil in my eye. Holy s**t, that was bad and I thought I`d be blind. And it went on and on and on. I freely admit to about 5 minutes of panic. I`ve eaten 10 whole Habs at once many times. Nothing AT ALL like this was. Now I know more about it, I`d say the heat was around as high as Bhuts get, given the growing conditions. Even so.

I`ve since eaten more Bhuts, Butch Ts, Morugas, 7-pots etc and now that I know what to expect, I enjoy the ride. That first one was scary as all hell, though.

Kempire:
I agree. Go to serranos, then look at the grocery store Orage Habaneros.
One word of advise, caution, whatever...
Once you get to Habanero and beyond, wear gloves when you cut them up and deseed or anything.
I routinely forget with Hab poppers, Bhut sliced salad, haha, you name it.
I get what feels like Icy Hot or sports cream tingles on both hands and fingers and it lasts for days every single time I forget to put on some gloves.
Gloves: the cheapy nitrile doctors kind that come in boxes of like 200.

With Jals, not really neded.
Habs, well youll feel a tingle.
Bhuts, your hands are gonna burn (oh and lets not forget that you rubbed your eye 3 hours after and you already washed your hands twice and wiped them off on a paper towell good..

Blindingly fun stuff there haha

In the mean time, I also highly recommend these. They are expensive, but I think they are so good they are worth the cost. I have nothing whatsoever to do with the company and don`t know the people there at all.

http://www.bhut-pepper.com/

Try the Spicy Watermelon Candy first. The Vertigo Candy is awesome in taste and is much, much hotter.

Just picked up some "habs" from the local grocery store. Took a small red one and sliced into it, removed seeds and a little bit of placenta, popped in good little slice... First thought, flavor was great, but the heat didn't hit me in the tongue, more in the throat. It came quick. And settle quick. After 10 minutes or so my chapped lips stopped stinging, but all in all I feel like a little more of a man today...

Habanero...... Check

Thanks for the support fellas

BD583087-6A17-4AAC-8DA2-720664E706CA-1303-000000B8CD94EAD8_zps0ea2ecf0.jpg

These are the ones I found at the store. Just reds and greens.

I'm not too sure. I think white. I can cut one open when I get home snd take some pics...why you ask? Do you think they are a different type of pepper, just sold as habs?

Monzanos kinda look like that and they have black seeds. They aren't as hot as a hab.

I think we were expecting to see the typical grocery store orange hab, not red and green.

Jeff H is right. That was what I was thinking. Manzanos and Rocotos have black seeds, as they are a different species of chili, C.pubescens. They can be pretty hot, but not quite Habanero hot, in general. They can also be quite large with thick juicy walls. I`ve grown Manzanos that weighed 50g each. Great peppers!

Did you just revoke my "man card" lol.... When I get home I'll cut it open and take some pictures, then I will pop it like candy and sweat my bag off.... I'm new to the heat, so I'm good with working my way up...

Nope, there`s no revoking of Man-Cards here ;)

I can honestly say I don`t know what those peppers are. I haven`t seen Habaneros with such thick walls, but I haven`t seen every Hab. by a long stretch. Maybe someone with more clue than me can chime in!

Looks pretty tasty, though!

Taste great! I tossed the seeds from that one, but I have 2 greens that I will let ripen on the sill... If you want the seeds to grow them out, send me your info, I'll send them out to you. They came from a local grocery store here in southern ontario, so who knows where they came from..

I grew something called "Extra Large Caribbean Red Habanero" last year that looked just like that. Real thick walls, square, 4-lobed pods, plenty of heat. My friends thought they were Baby Bell Peppers.

Seeds came to me from a THP member named Tim. Can't remember his screen name....

I'm pretty sure I saved seeds.

Back