• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Interesting calcium article

Over the last few weeks or more I've been chasing what I think is a calcium deficiency where the new growth and growth tips are shriveling up. Similar to this chart, the old growth looks great, but the new growth is shriveled and stunted.
523991_419933484743579_741175820_n.jpg

In doing some research, I came across the article below which I thought was very interesting. Especially this excerpt:
[background=rgb(54, 148, 209)]Higher EC levels in the nutrient solution reduce the uptake of calcium, unlike nitrogen and potassium which increase in concentration in leaf tissue with higher EC levels. Reducing the EC of the nutrient enhances water uptake and with this, more calcium can be taken up and transported within the plant to developing tissue.[/background]

Since all my nutes are all full strength, according to this article, just adding Cal-mag isn't going to help. I need to lower the EC to increase calcium uptake. Interesting.

So my new experiment is to run the nute reservoir at about 50% strength with some added Cal-mag. I'll give it 10 days or so and respond to this thread with an update...maybe even pics if the plants don't look like shit.

Here was the whole article. http://www.simplyhydro.com/calcium.htm

What's EC? From one who never grew hydro.

Electrical Conductivity. It measures the amount of total dissolved solids in the water. It is measured with an EC meter. I don't have one of those yet (someday), have been just following the label on the nute bottles.

Electrical Conductivity. It measures the amount of total dissolved solids in the water. It is measured with an EC meter. I don't have one of those yet (someday), have been just following the label on the nute bottles.
I thought it was someting along that line.

It makes sense that you would need more water for Ca since it's less soluble.

This is great, thanks!

I've read that fixing a Ca deficiency will leave already affected leaves stunted. Is this true for all deficiencies or does it depend on whether the growth is old or new?

Back