• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

The holyhotpepper shack

Finally I have managed to wrap up my new hoophouse build. I was able to build a 12ft wide x 24ft long x 8.5ft tall hoophouse for between $500-$600. All parts where purchased either at HD or online for greenhouse specific parts (i.e. poly film, wiggle wire channel).

The hoops are constructed of 1 3/8" chainlink fence top rail and bent to form the hoop. The hoops are anchored into 4ft ground stakes made from 1 5/8 chainlink fence posts.

I still have to work on the end walls and build some doors etc. Both sides can be rolled up for venting during our FL summer extreme heat. Here are some photos of the build start to finish.

The Plot
zPSDnwp.jpg

Ground Stakes
2EgD1Jg.jpg

The Hoops
b3Q1wgp.jpg

AEHNoT7.jpg

The Endwalls
zyTz3Ny.jpg

UYpxjBd.jpg

Near Completed (for perspective that is a 7 gallon pot with a 3 ft lemon tree in it.
HmAHrcG.jpg

4gGNaLE.jpg

Looks amazing! I would love to build something like that even on a smaller scale for myself.

Did you bend the arches yourself (if so how did you do it?) or can you buy them pre-bent?

NICE! would it be easy to remove the cover if say a cat 1 was 3 days away?

Why would I remove the cover? Damage would definitely ensue if I did that. The cover is tied down with 550 para cord and the ends are latched in via wiggle wire channel. The anchor stakes are 2 ft in the ground and attached to the hoops via tek screws.

Looks amazing! I would love to build something like that even on a smaller scale for myself.

Did you bend the arches yourself (if so how did you do it?) or can you buy them pre-bent?

Yes I bent the hoops myself. Each hoop is comprised of 2 10'6" 1 3/8" chainlink fence top rail. I bought a hoop bender from hoopbenders.net

Why would I remove the cover? Damage would definitely ensue if I did that. The cover is tied down with 550 para cord and the ends are latched in via wiggle wire channel. The anchor stakes are 2 ft in the ground and attached to the hoops via tek screws.

Because that thing becomes a sail in hurricane force winds? Because even if its all tied down well enough everything else wont be and youll have holes in it? Even the bottom will catch wind.

Nice job though. That looks awesome.

Because that thing becomes a sail in hurricane force winds? Because even if its all tied down well enough everything else wont be and youll have holes in it? Even the bottom will catch wind.

Nice job though. That looks awesome.

My plan is to build doors to seal it up if need be.

I guess you must take a risk when you have a structure this size. If the plastic gets ripped due to strong winds, $100 to replace is not bad if it gives my crops protection.

I still need to run some bracing from back to front, midway down each side of the hoops.

I was just curious, been through a bunch of hurricanes its not your tie downs, its the debris from your neighbors place that would punch holes then tear the shit out of the plastic. I always flipped our trampolines over then strapped em down with rebar and Truck Rope I watched the neighbors Trampoline travel 400 yards then take out another neighbors screened in porch collect that then wrap around some Slash Pines. he tied it down without flipping it over.......DUH!

I was just curious, been through a bunch of hurricanes its not your tie downs, its the debris from your neighbors place that would punch holes then tear the shit out of the plastic. I always flipped our trampolines over then strapped em down with rebar and Truck Rope I watched the neighbors Trampoline travel 400 yards then take out another neighbors screened in porch collect that then wrap around some Slash Pines. he tied it down without flipping it over.......DUH!

Im a native and grew up in miami. I guess I dont worry about that stuff since ive been around it all my life.

I figure if debris is flying not much out there that will protect a crop that can be replaced for so cheap.

The location of the hoophouse is where I grew up since I moved from miami 24 years ago and it has yet to have any hurricane damage (knock on wood). It seems like the seasons these days are getting more drastic each year.

Its definitely a good piece of work, Its been almost 8 years since the 2004-05 seasons that tore us up here in Palm Beach County, 5+ storms that got close enough for shutters, 3 that where direct hits. I wish that on nobody!

Great build! Book marking this page for future reference ...When you put on doors can you please show the updated pics ,cheers

About Mulch said:
Great build! Book marking this page for future reference ...When you put on doors can you please show the updated pics ,cheers

Thanks man!  I will definitely upload pics once I get some doors built..  It will be some time as the mrs. and I are expecting our 3rd here any day now.

Back