• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

OZZZ's 2013 glog

Hey everyone,

This is the first time Im really making an attempt at growing peppers outdoors. I have grown some super hots and some others indoors under HID's with decent results but I want to start doing it annually outdoors and overwintering them inside. Ive had an indoor garden for years now..... and recycled my soil for quite some time.. usually it consists of 1/3 ewc's from my worm bin, 1/3 perilite, and 1/3 recycled promix ammended with tomato tone. Its worked fantastically for my indoor garden.. but now Im really getting caught by the pepper bug and want to focus on these guys.

Currently I have 3 trinidad scorpion moruga blend, 1 douglah, a volcano pepper (a hungarian wax type), and another plant that is either another TSMB, a yellow 7 pot, or possibly a Douglah I lost my labeling. I started these guys back in January sometime and neglected them quite a bit as I had a lot of other plants to attend to at the time. I have since transplanted them into 5 gallon buckets and have been hardening them off for over a week now.

I live in Flagstaff, AZ. It is arizona so our sun is intense, however we are at 7,000' elevation up in the mountains so during the peak of summer our highs are in the 80's occasionally getting into the low 90's at peak of summer. During winter our average temps seem to be around 10-30 degrees and very sunny with random heavy snowfalls...what I mean by that is that it could be cold, sunny and dry for three weeks straight... then we'll get 18" of snow... which is gone in three days due to the sun. Sometimes though in the coldest months we have snow on the ground for a month or so fairly steady. Occasionally it will get down into the -10/-15 for a week or two during the coldest time of year.

Our growing season is very short... rated at 100-110 days. For this reason I want to grow in containers. Plus I have a large amount of lighting equipment at my disposal. Currently I have 2 - 600w HID's sitting in a closet not being used, along with 3 - T5 units (2-4'x4 bulb, 1-4'x6 bulb) and 4 or 5 different grow tents of various sizes (4'x2', 3'x3', 4'x8'). So I have plenty of equipment to overwinter and start plants early, etc, etc..... I just need guidance to show me how!

Im hoping by sharing in this grow log you guys can help me with what Im doing wrong, while I have a great grasp on growing indoors in a controlled environment ... so far my outdoor run doesnt seem to be doing to well.

Thats a little background... and without further ado here are the plants I have currently. They have been out for about 10 days and have gotten a rough start. I overwatered the buckets upon transplanting, then theres been days where they got some sunburn because I thought they could take 7 hours of direct sun. I have left them out a few nights overnight and they seemed to handle it well. Our temps have been in the mid 70's with lows at night around 40-45. However, yesterday we ended up having 22 mph winds and that blew them a little silly so they are looking pretty rough.

Here they are...temps tonight are supposed to drop to 32 degrees so I brought them in under a 400w HID, I figured they could use the break from the wind:

img4312i.jpg

img4318z.jpg

img4313xq.jpg

img4316o.jpg

img4317h.jpg

img4315t.jpg

So ........ my question is... how should I proceed from here? They are taking a beating it seems and they are putting out new small leaves but not all that fast. I do have a spot on my back patio that gets only morning sun from sun up around 6:30 (right now) to around 11 -12 am or so and would shade them just as the sun got directly overhead. Should I put them there and leave them for a few weeks until they start throwing new foilage? Or do they need more sun then that?

I can set them out further in the yard to give them more sun. If I put them out about 4' into the yard from the patio that will extend their sun out until around 2:30 or so which would get them a full 8 hours with 2-3 hours of the sun directly overhead... but maybe thats to much at this point??

Advice is needed here please! :)

Also, I started quite a few more seeds, I figure with all the lighting I have available I can overwinter them if need be since Im starting them in so late, either that or prune and root prune and bring them inside under lights in the fall when it cools down.

I planted one each of chocolate bhut jolokia, 7 pot brain strain red, yellow fatalli, caribbean red, jalapeno, yellow 7 pot, and then a couple sweet types golden treasure and neoploan pepper.

Then I put about 12 seeds in a single pot of Aji lemon because they are so old I didnt think they will sprout. Guess what ... looks like all of them sprouted lol. So I have about 12 aji lemon seedlings as well. The 7 pot red brain strain, the caribbean red, and the jalapeno have all sprouted as of now but its only been about 6 days since I sowed them so I expect some of the others to pop up in the next week or two.

img4319qj.jpg

Heres the caribbean red and the jalapeno

img4320aa.jpg

.... then the 7 pot red brain strain

img4321t.jpg

...... and last but not least my army of aji lemons lol

img4323l.jpg

Looks good. The best advice I can give is learn from your mistakes. Treat them as a chance to learn instead of looking at it like you did something wrong. I will be following. Here's mine.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/38904-dp-and-rks-first-season-glog/

My advice is give them some more light. They should be getting 5-8 hrs of light a day. If the sun is to intense, use your grow light. If its to windy or rainy or hot bring them inside. Your off to a good start. You just have to think. What would they like the most? Babying them to death is not the way to go either as plant stress makes the peppers hotter. You have to find a happy middle spot. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the input guys. Mega ... by 5-8 hrs you mean 5-8 hours of direct Sun? Shade time not included?

I guess I could keep them just off the patio by a foot or two. That should get them direct sunlight form 6:30 am to around 12-1pm (5.5-6.5 hrs of direct Sun)... then they would be in the shade as the sun gets directly overhead. I get off work around 4 and could then move them out into the yard for another hour or two of low angle Sun as it sets. That would give them a 3 hour break as the Sun's straight overhead and 6.5-8.5 hrs per day total sun.

Sound good? So I shouldn't worry that they are kinda scraggily right now?

Direct morning sun is fine and better than afternoon sun, since afternoon sun is more intense.
That being said, 3-5 hrs morning sun and around 2 hrs of pm sun. Of course when its really hot out 90F+ its best to shade them.

That's very doable. Our temps have only been mid 70's during the day so definately not to hot.

Ill just keep putting them outside then and wait for them to recover!

Update:

Im starting to suspect my soil is causing a majore issue. It was originally promix but I recycle it from my indoor grows. It has gone through about 4 grows now being re-ammended with 1/3 ewc, and 1/3 perilite plus organic granulars and lime but Im betting its getting pretty broken down by now and it acts like it.

I took 15 gallons of my old soil that had been ammended with rabbit poo and ewc and added to that about 10-12 gallons fresh peat moss and 3-5 gallons perilite. The mix feels MUCH better. Im guessing thats partly the reason why my large peppers pictured above in the 5 gallon containers are doing so poorly. Im sure its due to overwatering as well but the problem is the soil. Its been really, really tough trying to figure out when to water.

Anyway, All my seedlings have popped except for my chocolate bhut, yellow fatalli, and a golden treasure sweet pepper.

For this reason I planted two more chocolate bhuts, another yellow fatalli and another TSMB for the hell of it. I also put down about 8 peach hab seeds that are a good 5 years old or better. Not sure if any will break ground or not but we will see.

So far the little ones are doing ok but they are in the OLD soil mix so I may have a problem there with them as well. Im seriously considering taking the large plants out of the 5 gallon buckets and re-potting them (yet again!) in the new mix. Its structure is WAY better.

So far so good on the little ones, as of now anyway. Heres a 7 pot red brain strain, a yellow 7 pot, caribbean red, jalapeno, and a neopoleon sweet pepper:

img43241.jpg

I thinned out the Aji Lemon down to 5 seedlings and Ill let them do their thing until a bit later. I may thin out some more but for now Ill see who grows up the strongest.

img43251.jpg

.......... a three leafed red brain strain

img43291.jpg

... and my peach habs, chocolate bhuts, yellow fatalli and one TSMB. Not much to look at as of now.

img43301.jpg

If anyone's got any advice on what changes I should make or what I should do from here on out Im all ears. I was at Cal-Ranch today picking up some gypsum and crushed oyster shells and came across a 8'x10' greenhouse pretty cheap. It was $230 which isnt bad its a pretty sturdy greenhouse with a thick steel frame it seems very sturdy. The ones I were looking at previously were nicer polycarbonate ones but Im not sure were to locate a permanent greenhouse on my property just yet so I thought I could put this one in different places if need be until I figure out were to put a permenant one.

Anyway it should work well it definately seems to kick the heat up quite a bit.

I re-potted the peppers in new soil and am hoping they bounce back from the abuse. They look pretty bad with the Douglah being the worse off. Over the last few days Ive also foiler fed them with espom salt, then fish emulsion, then a fish emulsion/kelp foilar in an attempt to feed them a little and get them growing new roots into the better medium. There was a large rootball holding onto the other soil and I didnt want to disturb them so I put the whole root ball in the new pot and used the new medium around it. Im hoping they bounce back and get new roots into the new medium soon.

This is the greenhouse, Its sitting here temporarily until I can figure out where to put it. Most of my yard gets full sun from sun up to sun down and I think that may be too much light for the peppers... we are talking about a full 12 hours. Please correct me if Im wrong on this.

img4346ko.jpg

Here are my plants they arent looking so hot, Im really hoping the new medium will turn them around. They were way overwatered. The other medium was saturated so I took the wet root ball and put new, dry soil around it. I figure the dry medium will wick moisture out of the main saturated rootball and get them stabalized again.

The left and center plants Im not exactly sure what strain they are... I mixed up the labeling its either a TSMB, yellow 7 pot or a Douglah. The plant thats yellowing badly on the right is a Douglah.

img4340p.jpg

.. heres the Douglah and a TSMB on the right.

img4341k.jpg

... and two TSMB

img4342hh.jpg

... and finally the volcano pepper, its doing the best of the bunch even throwing out a few pods. It actually put out a fully mature, ripe red pod in the tent under the T5. No other peppers were flowering at that young age so I kept the seeds since I was reasonably sure they were pure. I picked off all the new pods that were forming now as well as all the bud sites in an attempt to make the plant grow more vegetatively for now.

img4343k.jpg

... and heres a beefsteak tomato plant I bought at cal ranch, I repotted it into a 7 gallon container with new soil, some tomato tone, and a cup of local volcanic sand.

img4345p.jpg

In the spot the greenhouse is in it will get a good 8-9 hours of sun tomorrow, the most the plants have gotten. However they will be in the greenhouse and the light is more diffuse in there as well as the UV protection factor, so they may be able to handle it. Previously they were getting a little sunburn at 7-8 hours of sun. I have a heater in there set on a thermostate but Its probably not needed. Night time lows here are high 30's and low to mid 40's with a single day hitting 50 deg. all week so Im sure they are fine. They have spent several nights out in mid 40's before and that was with no greenhouse.

Back