• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Growing in Smart pot's

Growing some plants in Smart pot's this season and want to see the results from growing in them. Still growing others in reg 5 gal pots/buckets and in ground. What's your opinion on the Smart pot growing. :)

Put a pice of wood or something under them or the roots will grow into the ground. Growing in them next to my in ground monsters they were dwarfed, but I have seen some guys get amazing results from them (read Rich's 7 foot Fatalii...).

Took a bit to get the watering figured out, but it wasnt tough.

Happy Growing!

Put a pice of wood or something under them or the roots will grow into the ground. Growing in them next to my in ground monsters they were dwarfed, but I have seen some guys get amazing results from them (read Rich's 7 foot Fatalii...).

Took a bit to get the watering figured out, but it wasnt tough.

Happy Growing!

What up Matt!?
\

OP I personally like them a lot. I had just the opposite results than Matt. His soil is probably a lot nicer than what I was growin in.

I see a lot of people who grow in smaller smart type pots have great success.

But a lot treat the plants somewhat like hydroponics.
Water often with weak nutes etc.
It lets the plants get big with smaller roots.
Water until the plant washes out for a little while each time to avoid buildup.

I've seen plants when taken out of the pot that looked like there wasn't any soil left in the pot,just roots.
Works great if you do it right.

I guess the smart pots are supposed to control root growth and if used as I said above(semi hydroponic) they can grow some really cool plants in smaller pots.
Supposed to be more efficient or whatever...

EDIT:

Before today I had only seen the biggest ones being about 7Gal.

At the nursery they grew corn in one that was about 3 1/2-4ft. ft in dia.
The pot/whatever was hidden behind stuff before so I didn't see what the Corn was growing in.
Whatever a pallet size is,the pot covered it easily.Any bigger and it would have not fit on it.
Most people I know that used the smaller ones treat them like a semi Hydro thing because they dry out faster than plastic pots etc.
It's hot here so in cooler places I guess you might not need a watering system or?

The corn was really stuffed in there and was easily 6+ ft tall and full of ears.

I've only used smart pots/root pouches since ive started growing (working on year 3 now) It is the only pot I will ever grow in again. I wouldn't call my plants monsters by any means but I had a yellow brain strain get up to 4ft 8inches last year. I love them

. . . but I had a yellow brain strain get up to 4ft 8inches last year. I love them

Just curious, what size pots are you using? I have some habs in 1 gal smart pots doing a soilless flood & drain system and I'm wondering how big they might get. They're only about 10" tall right now but are not too old.

I also have one in a 7 gal with potting soil.

The brain Strain was in a 5 gallon root pouch. This year I have mostly 5 gallons but I have 10 7 gallons, a 25 and a 45 gallon.

Here's my yellow Brain Strain from last year in a 5 gallon root pouch

100_0486_zpse6ebf1ac.jpg

I am also going to be growing with some fabric pots this year, except I will use the geopots which seem a little thicker than the smart pots but are pretty much the same products. Hopefully this pans out! You should post some pics once you get things going :)

I go as big as I can, but so long as you're air pruning, you're going to get great results. Circling roots in plasic containers trigger the plant to begin taking in nutrients differently and therefore grow at a slower rate (root bound). The plants go into an automated "bonsai" mode if you will. With air pruning the tips of the root shoots are pruned, creating side shoots that branch out into a fibrous mass. Fibrous root systems take in exponentially more nutrients as time goes on.

Back