• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Let's talk about your older plants.

I have a plant of dubious identity which has gotten significantly more shrub-like in its second year.  This has led me to wonder how different species of pepper progress as they get older.  There's an old topic on this, but I'd love to see an updated discussion on the subject.  How old have you gotten your plants and under what conditions?  Any tips on getting older plants to produce?  Is the 'wood' of mature plants similar to that of bushes and trees?  Do you notice any change in the character of peppers as a plant ages?  As always, pictures are appreciated!  :cool:

I have many plants that are two or more years of age. I have not noticed any difference in production. If the weather is right, proper lighting and nutrients plants can last for many years. I have heard of some growers having plants for over a decade. 

from my experience, my plants just are bigger and bushier and produce like crazy much earlier (duh) the 2nd year. i have one plant that's on it's 3rd year. looks better than ever after i cut it back to about nothing. bounced back amazingly, now looks like a small bush, and it's producing fairly well, but not as good as some of the 2nd year ones. maybe it's tired of it's old soil maybe it needs it's roots pruned? shit i don't know about that. i'm just gonna keep feeding it and watering. my 2nd year plants are producing like crazy right now i have more peppers than i know what to do with and that is a good problem to have.

My mothers I let go last year were on their 8th year. The pruning is important when it comes to how they grow the following season. They set fruit very quickly and put out as well as they did the previous seasons.  

Guru, how much pruning or cutting back is necessary? I planned on cutting back a little and keeping the plants active with supplemental light through the winter. Is it a better idea to cut waaaay back and let them go dormant?

No. You don't want to hack them down too far. Especially when they get older and the woody bark starts establishing itself further up the stalk and branches. I prefer keeping them active if I have the available light. Symetry while pruning also helps with the following years structure.

I too am careful not to prune heavily since I've killed some plants. However, I live in a zone and have the space where I don't have to. If you are in a colder climate and dont have space, you may not have a choice. Some make it, some don't.

I have 2 plants on their 3rd season now. This winter we did very aggressive pruning and managed to kill several plants and set the survivors back by a few weeks in their spring growth. Less is more if you are in a mild winter climate and can protect them from frost. I think the mistake was to cut into parts of the plant that were woody. This exposed the "guts" of the plant to the outside world and had serious negative effects. The first sets of leaves had severe interveinal chlorosis and some were misshapen. Later growth was much healthier and now the Tabasco plant has some robust new growth coming up from the base. Today I harvested (and devoured) the first full-red pod from the Goat's Weed and several more are starting to color up, first pods were setting in early April.

So short version: if you can protect from frost, don't cut into any woody stems. Trim back weak or damaged green stems in late winter, feed the soil in early spring and enjoy a huge head start on pod production. 

The biggest difference I notice is how quickly they get into full production once the weather warms and they sprout back from the pruning as opposed to the first year plants that tend to take a little longer to ramp up.

Trippa said:
The biggest difference I notice is how quickly they get into full production once the weather warms and they sprout back from the pruning as opposed to the first year plants that tend to take a little longer to ramp up.

Because of the mature root structure below. First year plants don't have that advantage.

Thank you all!  These are great responses!

Does anybody have any info on the nature of the woody parts?  Would you compare it to something like, say, a holly bush?

Shot some pics today that are relevant.

1) Early leaves on the Goat's Weed showing nutrient transport issues, these are actually better than the first set.
2) Later leaves on same plant are robust
3) Recent growth on the Tabasco, looking great. First leaves on this plant made me almost rip it up they were so bad, tiny and pale yellow.

BL9ObvDCMAA2wFg.jpg

BL9OmWACAAAQEMc.jpg

BL9NL2-CUAIOcDg.jpg

Back