New Guy From Jacksonville FL!

HELLO HELLO!

Hailing from Jacksonville, FL. This is my first time growing ANYTHING.

Backstory: About 1 1/2 months ago I was perusing the gardening section at my local wally-world and saw a Jiffy seed starting greenhouse kit. I decided why the hell not, I wanted to grow some peppers and onions, bought the kit, some seeds, and followed the instructions.

Almost nothing grew, maybe 1-3 Jalapenoes, and 1-3 green onion stalks. Furious, I delved into the horticultural resources online, researched growing techniques and pepper varieties, and bought a large set of seeds of various hot peppers (I'm a hot pepper fiend) and a few tomato seeds as well. Not a week later I had purchased an LED grow light, heating mat, and seedling starter tray. About 1 1/2 to 2 weeks later, after nearly giving up on my seeds, they started germinating.

Now, about 2 weeks later, I've run out of room, bought more grow lights (custom ordered LED panels) and have plans to expand more. No one warned me this would be this addictive.

So far I have (without really taking count):

4-5 Bhut Jolokia (Ghost Pepper)
4-7 Trinidad Scorpion
3-4 Red Savina
2 Jamaican Hot Chocolate
1 Fatali
2 Jalapeno
1 Green Onion
5-8 Cherokee Chocolate Tomato
4-5 Husky Cherry Red Tomato
3-4 Red Robin Tomato

Why did I decide on using grow lights instead of growing outdoors? I'm lazy, and as an engineer/scientist I'd prefer to have a controlled environment to grow my plants :) I also love spicy food and would like to have peppers year round, experimenting with different mixes for hot sauces and powders/marinades.

I intend fully on having a 50+ sq ft indoor grow area, and I am slowly expanding my varieties to include cucumbers etc.

Included in this picture (large pots) are the Red Savina pepper plants (about 3 weeks old), a Trinidad Scorpion (about 2 weeks old), a husky cherry red tomato plant (about 2 weeks old, picture was cut off, sorry I'll take more pics if wanted), and in the smaller pot, a very strange looking Bhut Jolokia pepper plant (I'll post in another thread if anyone can give me info on this plant).

Well if there is a character limit to a post I'm sure I'm pretty close on exceeding it, I think I'll like this community as I've lurked for the last month or so! :)

Again, Hello everyone!!

q0IfU0c.jpg

:welcome:  from sunny South Florida! :woohoo:

Hi!  Palatka area here. Just moved here from Julington Creek area. This is a great site; I've only been here for 2 days myself and have found this is a place of great "pepper-knowledge"!

Rattlesnake Blues
(John)

Welcome! From Tokyo!

Love the pic of Bob watchin over your plants.
Ifeel that's probably a common thing, but the plants you claim to be growing are infact legal ;)

georgej said:
Welcome! From Tokyo!

Love the pic of Bob watchin over your plants.
Ifeel that's probably a common thing, but the plants you claim to be growing are infact legal ;)
Ha! I dont partake in such activities lol that is my roommate's poster.

However, being a young guy no one believes me that my growlights are for peppers -.-

It can be frustrating at times :)

Back