• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Separated my worm castings today

Just separated my worms from their castings. What a job. It took about 2-1/2 hrs and I got about 5 gallons of castings. Not going to wait that long the next time as it's too much work. :doh:

Im Curious I Want To Get A Worm Bin But The Question Since You Got 5gallons Of Castings, In How Long Did You get that Much??

Good Luck On Your Growing :dance:

It's been several months since I separated them Sick625 and this is the first time I did a full separation since I started the bin in July 2012.
chsy83, separating them is time consuming as I use a Rubber Maid plastic tote. I put them on a plastic sheet under lights and make mounds of the worm castings and wait a few minutes for the worms to go deeper into the piles as they don't like light. Then I scrape the castings off the top of the mounds lightly until I see worms. Then I wait a little more until they dive deeper and repeat the process.
It's time consuming and the shredded cardboard I use as bedding adds to the work as you have to separate it from the castings as well.

Hi PMD,  what were your results using worm castings? Was it of any added value to your grow or was it a bit of a dissapointment?

I'm looking into making a factory in my compost pile (it's mixed with dirt already). I'd rather not seperate the worms by scooping, just put a shovel in it and tap it (vibrations). The worms will think a predator is near and surface. We used to do that to go fishing, it works like a charm. I also don't mind if there are worms in the compost I'm using, but would like to keep some in the compost pile.

In other words, you spent several hours today playing 'tag' with your pet worms while frantically scooping and collecting their poop.

You Californee folks are an odd bunch!  :D

Did you take any pictures?  I've never seen a 'casting' before.  (Ya gotta love any euphemism for 'worm shit.')
Do the little beasties just stick their tail out and cut loose?  Are we talking ribbons, little piles, or ???  ;)

Well since worms don't have a digestive tract or a stomach it is not really poop. It is bacteria that passes through them and is converted to what we call castings. ;)
Pfeffer said:
Hi PMD,  what were your results using worm castings? Was it of any added value to your grow or was it a bit of a dissapointment?

I'm looking into making a factory in my compost pile (it's mixed with dirt already). I'd rather not seperate the worms by scooping, just put a shovel in it and tap it (vibrations). The worms will think a predator is near and surface. We used to do that to go fishing, it works like a charm. I also don't mind if there are worms in the compost I'm using, but would like to keep some in the compost pile.
I didn't have anything to compare it to so I can't say personally. I know enough people though that say there is nothing better organically than quality castings.

Proud Marine Dad said:
Well since worms don't have a digestive tract or a stomach it is not really poop. It is bacteria that passes through them and is converted to what we call castings. ;)

O......K......

;)

I started a worm farm and have harvested the castings a couple of times so far. After they are harvested, what is the best way to store them until next years grow?

I just store my separated castings in an open Rubbermaid storage container. There will most likely be coccoons in the material, so I periodically sprinkle a little water on the pile. When I use the material later, I often find quite a few worms that hatched from the coccoons. Do not put on too much water or you will be storing mud instead of castings!
Renais

Renais1 said:
I just store my separated castings in an open Rubbermaid storage container. There will most likely be coccoons in the material, so I periodically sprinkle a little water on the pile. When I use the material later, I often find quite a few worms that hatched from the coccoons. Do not put on too much water or you will be storing mud instead of castings!
Renais
Thank you. I have mine in a Rubbermaid container as well. They dried out and I was not sure if that effected the benefits of the castings.

Good info. I started up a worm bin about six months ago and lost majority of them died off during my last rain. I had a Rubbermaid unit myself and had drilled holes on the too to give them air. And all the rain fell thru. Opened it up one day and it was filled to the brim with water. I drain the tea that was at the bottom out and poured it into my garden, hedges that I'm currently trying to grow and several fruit tress I have on my property. As well as the remaining water. Like you stated left with pretty much mud. So I added a bunch of dry organic soil and save a few of the worms. Hopefully they can reproduce to a higher number. And since have moved them indoors. Couple question though.

First how do you properly use the compost tea? What part per part am I supposed to use? Full strength or diluted?
Second is coffee groups and expresso grounds good off either compost or soil alternative ? I work at a grocery store with a coffee /juice bar and have been bringing some home lately but they honestly produce or toss yo much away. I can only use so much. But thought that if it can be a soil alternative it would be good to store. Please feel free to add or pm me with any info. Thanks in advance.

Back