• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Charcoal grilled pepper sauce

Hey kids, new to this place (don't know what took me so long to find you guys/gals) and already enjoying what I see. Since I'm freeloading so many cool recipes and ideas, I figured I'd share something with the community just so you don't think I'm a bad guy... I am, but I just don't want it getting around!

Here's my favorite sauce, basically its a collection of peppers I've grown or purchased, onion, garlic, some spices, etc. I grilled all the vegetable matter in my Kamado Joe to char it up and to add some smoke to the flavor profile. Enough yapping, lets put the "picture is worth 1,000 words" thing to the test, shall we?

Here's some sweet bell peppers, hot hungarian, habaneros, cherries, bird's eyes, hot fingers, and cubanelle peppers, along with an onion and a bulb of garlic:

Here's everyone assembled on the grill or in the veggie basket:

The ingredients after some charcoal lovin' along with the spices, cider vinegar, and water... even a little bourbon!

Coarsely chopped and about to simmer for a while:

Spent some time in the blender, than back to the pot to finish up:

The finished product, nice color, texture, great flavor and heat... good times!

Due to popular demand, here's the recipe:

Charcoal Grilled Hot Sauce

Ingredients:

5 ghost peppers
2 dozen thai peppers
1 dozen hot finger peppers
1 dozen scotch bonnet peppers
3 cubanelles (sweet)
2 hot hungarian peppers
half dozen cherry peppers
1 orange bell pepper (seed after grilling)
1 yellow bell pepper (seed after grilling)
1 med. onion thick sliced
1 bulb garlic
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground coriander seeds
1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp tex-mex
1 cup pepper infused cider vinegar
1 cup water

Directions:

-Grill peppers, onion, and garlic over charcoal to char, then cut up, add to pot with remaining ingredients.
-Bring all to a boil then simmer for 30 minutes, transfer to blender in small batches and purée. Return to pot and simmer for another hour.  Stir in another cup of apple cider vinegar (1/3 cup at a time) remove from heat and allow to cool.
-Store in repurposed hot sauce bottles or small mason jars.

That looks great!  I want to try a fire roasted sauce for my next.  I'd take a look at the recipe if it's convenient.  The veggies are obvious, but I assume the liquids are water and maybe applecider vinegar?  And spices - but what'd you use?

j

I gave this recipe a try but i didn't have all the right ingredients it still turned out and tastes good.

12 jalapenos
9 scotch bonnets
6 seven pots? (not sure i got them at a local market they are nice and bumpy)
2 small onions
2 small garlic bulbs
2 bell peppers one yellow and one green (they didn't have orange at the store)
3 drops of pure evil

I followed the rest of the recipe as to spices and vinegar etc.

I also added a good handfull of woodchips and closed the lid and got that nice smoke flavor.

Here is dinner for last night :D

Anyways thanks for the recipe like i said before i wish i could have followed it better but it still turned out really nice. I hope the pictures are big enough for ya guys. :D

I have tried to make a few hot sauces recipes from this website and i have to say this one turned out to be the best yet.

looking good, Hophead!  A red version and a green version from the same basic recipe. 

and them cheezy-dawgs.....MMmmm... I'm getting hungry~

Looks a lot like the kinds of sauces I played with at home prior to going commercial. I love char-roasting everything. Unfortunately for my commercial sauces I'm a bit more limited and only get the roasted peppers & garlic - hard to find roasted onions. I find the sauce tastes pretty much the same with fresh vs charred onion though. 

A suggestion for you: try roasting some of the peppers and keeping others fresh to "feature" a specific pepper flavor. Say, for example, you'd like to have a more habanero dominant sauce...you can char-roast everything but the habs, and you'll find that the notes of the habanero layer on top of the other roasted peppers.  It's a great way to add a little extra depth to the sauce (though I'm sure it's plenty flavorful already) 
:cheers:

I just made a batch of fire roasted hot sauce and it's amazing!  Will definitely do again!

1 SFRB from Romy6 - Red brains, Choc Habs, Choc 7 pots, Barrackpores, Jonahs, etc
1 bulb garlic
2 medium onions
Tequila
Salt
Pepper
Lime Juice
Cumin
Distilled Vinegar
Water

Roasting:

Roasted veggies soaking in tequila overnight:

Final product:

This sauce has gotten tastier as it ages too.  YUMMY!

This thread is worth the price of admission! Great starting point for me!

@Lucky Dog Hot Sauce, have you considered or is it appropriate to grill off your own onions, dehydrate them and add them to your sauce?  Would it be worth it as a commercial grower? I mean doing them yourself? And while I am asking, is there a difference between fresh and dried ingridients when it comes to sauces? Thanks.

schweddypods said:
This thread is worth the price of admission! Great starting point for me!

@Lucky Dog Hot Sauce, have you considered or is it appropriate to grill off your own onions, dehydrate them and add them to your sauce?  Would it be worth it as a commercial grower? I mean doing them yourself? And while I am asking, is there a difference between fresh and dried ingridients when it comes to sauces? Thanks.

If I could grill all of my own ingredients it would be fantastic. Unfortunately I cannot. The commercial kitchen I use won't process any ingredient that they don't have a spec sheet for, or that did not come from a commercial source. 

My backyard grill is not considered a commercial source, so no dice on grilling myself. If I want to use grilled onions in a commercial product, I will source grilled onions. There may come a time that I choose to do so - my 1st 4 recipes have not needed them. 

That all said, I have another copacker I may be working with soon - who has a slightly more robust commercial kitchen where I could potentially go and roast my own onions - that would be totally fine. Location, location, location. 
;)
To the second question, absolutely - fresh pods vs dried, fresh fruit vs dried, fresh spices, herbs, etc - all make a huge difference. 

Ahh, I didn't know, so I asked. I do not know commercial guidlines. Spec sheets, huh? Holy cows. I only asked because grilled onions were in the recipe here, and in your post you wrote: "Unfortunately for my commercial sauces I'm a bit more limited and only get the roasted peppers & garlic - hard to find roasted onions."

Which brings the other question. Why are they so hard to find commercially? Please keep in mind that I am a noob, not commercial, have never considered commercial, but I buy commercially produced stuff. The ultimate bottom line will be an appreciation for the price of a product with harder to produce/procure ingredients! I hope to support your business soon, as you seem very honest, open, and fair from what I have read. If I was out of line asking, please accept my apologies.

For example, HERE we should have fresh tuna fish, diver (in the shell) scallops, and HALIBUT. I live near Cape Cod, close to New Bedford, and an hour or so away from Gloucester. THE fishing capitals of New England, yet getting these products fresh? Ha ha ha. Good luck. Our damn shrimp are from Indonesia! Is it cheaper to ship it in from a foreign country? I'd rather buy frozen Gulf shrimp whole and get waxed on the price!

That is another reason why I asked. I meant no insult. Best wishes for that new copacker... I will have to read up on what the hell that is!

No insult taken whatsoever. It is what it is. For the sauces I've released so far i've used roasted peppers & roasted garlic. I looked around for roasted onions for another recipe and it wasn't a product I could source for a reasonable cost. My sauces are already expensive to make - I source locally whenever possible, and support small growers when possible. It all adds up...
;)

Back