A Fantastic pepper - Red Trinidad Congo

romy6 said:
 You are a pepper eating machine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I tried to sneak in a quick Chocolate Scorpion as well, but as you can tell, the light was crap once I recovered from trying to choke myself. Next time i`ll get the lights out.  

Robisburning said:
Another great review.  There are a few colors; Red, Organge, Yellow, Black at least.  I bought a combo from here:

http://pepperlover.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=121&category_id=43&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

I have yet to germinate them but they just got bumped to the top of my list. I wonder where Joemommas seeds originated?... or more specifcally I hope mine end up tasting half as good as those reviewed!
Wes go them from Pepperlover, I think. That`s an awesome combo deal!!!

I have never eaten hot peppers of the same variety but different colors.  With bell peppers, the only remotely analogous thing I have to go on, reds are slightly sweet, green are slightly grassy tasting and I would never be able to tell between orange and yellow in a blind test. Would you expect limited vatiation between the red, yellow, orange and brown?

I have to agree it is a great deal, I got more than 20 seeds of ea so am chuffed

Robisburning said:
I have never eaten hot peppers of the same variety but different colors.  With bell peppers, the only remotely analogous thing I have to go on, reds are slightly sweet, green are slightly grassy tasting and I would never be able to tell between orange and yellow in a blind test. Would you expect limited vatiation between the red, yellow, orange and brown?

I have to agree it is a great deal, I got more than 20 seeds of ea so am chuffed
You definitely get different flavours between different colours of the same variety ... 
Hey Nigel have you done a review on a Bahamian Goat Pepper yet??    If not try to get your hands on some as they are another great tasting mid-heat (although quite variable between pods) chilli and I would love to see your take on them

Trippa said:
You definitely get different flavours between different colours of the same variety ... 

Hey Nigel have you done a review on a Bahamian Goat Pepper yet??    If not try to get your hands on some as they are another great tasting mid-heat (although quite variable between pods) chilli and I would love to see your take on them
Agreed, the different colours do have a different set of overlapping flavors. 

Not eaten a Bahamian Goat pepper yet, but have heard good things. I have seeds, but they didn`t make the cut this year

The red Congo really is a terrific pepper.  I grew them last year just because they were a freebie from Peppermania, and they went straight onto my "always grow this in the future" list the first time I used one.

If I understand right, they're sort of the standard "plain" hot pepper in Trinidad, correct?  (Which only reinforces my existing desire to go take a culinary tour of Trinidad.)

-NT

ntenny said:
The red Congo really is a terrific pepper.  I grew them last year just because they were a freebie from Peppermania, and they went straight onto my "always grow this in the future" list the first time I used one.

If I understand right, they're sort of the standard "plain" hot pepper in Trinidad, correct?  (Which only reinforces my existing desire to go take a culinary tour of Trinidad.)

-NT
There is an episode of Bizarre Foods from Trinidad and Tobago. If you go, you HAVE to try Souse. And maybe Green Iguana curry! 

Nigel said:
There is an episode of Bizarre Foods from Trinidad and Tobago. If you go, you HAVE to try Souse. And maybe Green Iguana curry! 

I've never eaten lizard meat, but based on other reptiles I'd expect it to be pretty mild in flavor by itself, and need a bit of care to keep from being swamped in a curry by the spice flavors.  You wouldn't want to make iguana vindaloo, for instance.

Souse sounds downright good and I may insist on making something like it this weekend.  Doesn't seem especially bizarre, just a meat broth base for a cold soup.  Tragically none of my Congos are ripe yet, and it seems like a recipe that needs to be done with fresh peppers rather than pulling something from the freezer.  Plain ol' orange habanero, maybe?

-NT

All reptile meat I`ve had has been a little thin in flavour, including Iguana, so I`m sure you are right about the type of curry. The curries in Trinidad are more coconut milk-based than vinegar-based (like vindaloo), I think. Maybe someone can tell us for sure. Souse is interesting. It`s often made with cows feet, plus chunks of cow skin and is both chili-hot and extremely acidic, at least the types I`ve had in London were. 

I`m sure plain `ole orange Habs would work well. 

Back