• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Root Pouch/Wally World Bag Alternative

http://www.discountmugs.com/product/tot90-non-woven-printed-shopper-tote-bags/

I've bought these bags from this vendor before for work.  They're about the same size as the Wally World bags (20"x13"x8") but you can buy these in bulk (65¢ ea./100, 55¢ ea./200), choose from different colors, and support a company that's not Walmart :party: Free shipping and no tax too (unless you live in Florida :confused: ) .

I could use about 10-15 so I need to find some local peeps who need a BUNCH of larger grow bags.  So who's with me?

I bought 20 Wal Mart bags for $.50 each.  I planted 2 of them as an experiment and am happy with them so far.  The bags use more soil than the black pots I'm using.  We'll see when harvest comes which ones I'll use next year.

catherinew said:
I bought 20 Wal Mart bags for $.50 each.  I planted 2 of them as an experiment and am happy with them so far.  The bags use more soil than the black pots I'm using.  We'll see when harvest comes which ones I'll use next year.
My tomatoes and a few pepper plants are doing amazing in them...mostly soil related but still amazing! 

Interesting no one in my area carries the black bags interested in how folks are doing with the Walmart bags may try a few. Are they the same thing material?

Jason

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I wonder how they rank on the safety chart...that was a deal closer on the Walmart bag believe it or not. 

Well the thing is, there's a bunch of companies that sell these bags for marketing purposes so I wonder who Walmart gets their bags from.  One vendor might have toxic bags and another has ok ones.  So if Walmart switches vendors, how would we know?  Another thing that's crossed my mind is how safe are root pouches?  After all, they're made from recycled plastic (like the WW bags) right?  So IF root pouches are made from materials spec'd from China, where all the toxic stuff is . . .

Edit:  The root pouch website says the fabric is made from recycled plastic and organic fibers.  Anybody know where it's actually made and if there's any testing for toxic stuff?

The ones I'm using from Loblaws in Canada say "Canadas greenest bag" The label basically says they're made of pop bottles and stuff like that. Are plastics not inert materials? I know left sitting long enough bottles can produce some nasties, but that's also when constantly used and wet.
The bags claim recycled and recyclable but have nothing on them that pertains to safety tests. However to be able to put fresh food in them they must be safe enough for that. Hell we put all our fresh veggies in plastic bags right away anyways.
Also, regular grow bags are just thick Polyester film anyways, shopping bags are the same, just woven

Back