• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review stc3248 Red Lantern Infused Salt Review

stc3248 Red Lantern Infused Salt Review

qyb88y.jpg

154gk1c.jpg

I finally got around to tasting one of the products that Shane sent me which he calls “Red Lantern Salt,” and let me tell you it is wonderful! If you have not had the opportunity to taste it, quick run out and buy some, steal some or just get your hands on some because Shane hits a home run with his concoction. His infused salt could easily beat any store purchased product and could sell at a premium price in my honest opinion.

I don’t think I need to quote the manufacturing instructions that Shane provided me with but if someone wants I could easily quote it in a subsequent post. But for now let me just quote what he said, “All that's in there are the dried smoked pods (hickory or apple? IDK), onion powder, garlic powder and sea salt.” These are the words of a master chef that eye balls all the ingredients because he can, hats off [SIZE=12pt]\o_[/SIZE]

Funny I had to contact him to verify if he had smoked the pods because I identified a sweet smoky flavor as I tested it out on a ham, turkey and salami sandwich. Then I began to think, could I possibly be wrong, did my wife buy smoked turkey … so I had to hail him for a confirmation as I was unable to talk to my wife during the trial as she was away. Although a smoky flavor should have been obvious to me if I had tested it unaccompanied, which I later did.

From the first crack of the seal one notes a spicy, heady sweet smoky habanero aroma that does not come across as abrasive or too strong but just right. Don’t let the aroma fool you; this infused salt has a definitive kick with an invigorating heat that pleases the senses. While I normally describe habaneros as sweet and fruity I’m guessing the smoke and salt mask any hint of fruitiness but that seems to poke its head out in the after taste for sure. I also note a floral tangy taste that is most likely a result of the Red Lantern pepper.

Shane painstakingly grinds once, twice and three times to achieve his finely ground seasoned salt. The work he puts behind his product shows as there are no clumps and the salt dispenses perfectly from the ordinary household salt shaker.

Ordinarily smoked pods darken up and loose most if not all of the pods color but as one can see from the pictures his infused salt has retained enough of the red which adds to the look appeal when stored in a see thru dispenser. I will normally score low on color as it’s not an easy task to achieve but let me tell you it’s even harder when one uses smoked pods, you have to have a knack or good feel and control of your smoker and hands down he achieved a beautiful result.

In all honesty I can not tell you if Shane used Apple or Hickory as the smoky flavor is mild or a bit masked by the other flavors of onion, garlic, habanero and salt. Yes I know that apple wood has a light, fruity, slightly sweet aroma and hickory has a strong flavor but there could even be some combined flavoring from a well seasoned smoker that has seen the use of a variety of fine woods. That said, his flavor combination works and works extremely well.

Rating: (1 to 5 in each category), (N/A means not applicable)
  • Name: Red Lantern Salt: 4.5
  • Label: N/A
  • Appearance: 5
  • Color: 5
  • Smell: 5
  • Taste: 5
  • Heat: 2.5
Conclusion:
A must try infused salt in my honest opinion which I score at 4.5 of 5 stars. His intricate mixture of infused salt is particularly delicious with your meal of choice and goes well with wine, beer or your favorite cocktail. Hope you get the chance to enjoy this fine product that can easily compete with any commercial brands. Extraordinary with any meal adding a nice custom savory zest that does not disappoint the palate. It looks and smells great, also works well on French Fries, Popcorn or other snacks. A must try that will tantalize your taste buds.

Product in use on a BLT sandwich
2hyi5jm.jpg

Thank you for reading, hope you enjoy!

Thanks Ramon...very well written. You got me blushing over here! :oops:   I guess even a blind squirrel finds that nut erry now and den!Those words coming from you make it all worth while buddy. Glad you enjoyed it...Unfortunately, I didn't grow any red habs this year, so I can't make any more! :doh: It's one of mamas favorites because its not "Melt your face off!" hot...just above her comfort level, but it tastes so good she can't help but keep eating it. 

stc3248 said:
Thanks Ramon...very well written. You got me blushing over here! :oops: I guess even a blind squirrel finds that nut erry now and den!Those words coming from you make it all worth while buddy. Glad you enjoyed it...Unfortunately, I didn't grow any red habs this year, so I can't make any more! :doh: It's one of mamas favorites because its not "Melt your face off!" hot...just above her comfort level, but it tastes so good she can't help but keep eating it.
Shane thank you for the kudos on the written review and thanks for thinking to send me some to try out, it really is a great infused salt that you should make every year, even just for mama. Keeping mama happy is important but I’m not telling you anything you don’t already know and I’ve taken some tips from you just reading your glog about how you do dat.

The way you grow, you could probably grow habs every other year and either have frozen pods for next years infused salt or make mas powder from those huge harvests I see you pull for mama's infused salt. Keep up your great work & grow mon! I hope to get to your other powders soon but IIRC all the labels are worn off so I'll ask as I get to each one as this one isn't going to last long at our house. BTW you got mama here asking for me to make some too, lolz ... Have a great one mon!

Wustenfuchs said:
Nice review, and it sounds really good!!
Thank you for reading and it does a great job enhancing any food I’ve tried it on so far ^_^

GnomeGrown said:
Nice review, Ramon

How do I get some of this salt?
Gnome thanks for the kudos mon and it’s not a commercial product, it was a gift from Shane (stc3248) and I’m not sure he sells it but I have seen other members sell their powders or salts. I have seen infused salt for sale at some local stores in my home town but I make all my own too. IIRC Shane did post instructions in his glog on this specific one but like I said in the review if you guys want I can post a quote here, just say da word.

Hmmmm, I just did dry a couple trays of hot paper lanterns last night. I coarsely chopped up about 1-1/2 cups of flakes. I might have another use for them other than the planned flakes for pizza now. Just need to get some onion and garlic in the dehydrator now. The hab heat level is just about perfect for these projects like flakes and seasoning salts. They pack a lot of punch, but don't melt your face off.

Now Shane, how about a report on your stupid hot salts. I do have a several gallon bags full of Brainstrains and Butch Ts just looking for a project. :D

Jeff H said:
Hmmmm, I just did dry a couple trays of hot paper lanterns last night. I coarsely chopped up about 1-1/2 cups of flakes. I might have another use for them other than the planned flakes for pizza now. Just need to get some onion and garlic in the dehydrator now. The hab heat level is just about perfect for these projects like flakes and seasoning salts. They pack a lot of punch, but don't melt your face off.

Now Shane, how about a report on your stupid hot salts. I do have a several gallon bags full of Brainstrains and Butch Ts just looking for a project. :D
Haha...there are a few folks out there with some of the "stupid" hot salts...I made some Devil's Tongue, Yellow Brain, Red Brain...they're all really good. I like all my powders seasoned a bit. I will have to shoot over some Brain to Ramon so maybe he can write something up with all his perdy words!!! If you need any info shoot me a PM and I'll hook you up with everything you need to make it tasty...just not quite as tasty as mine...Hey, I gotta keep a couple secrets!

westin said:
That sounds amazing.  Great review!  I might try my hand at making something similar this year.   ;)
Get after it!!!  Same thing about info...I'll be glad to help you out!

Jeff H said:
Hmmmm, I just did dry a couple trays of hot paper lanterns last night. I coarsely chopped up about 1-1/2 cups of flakes. I might have another use for them other than the planned flakes for pizza now. Just need to get some onion and garlic in the dehydrator now. The hab heat level is just about perfect for these projects like flakes and seasoning salts. They pack a lot of punch, but don't melt your face off. …
Not sure if you have a grinder but Shane’s salt is finely ground, might not look like it from the pictures I took so close up but it shakes out of a standard salt shaker just fine. I don't think coarsely chopped or flakes would work well for infused salt ... I could just be reading into your use of the work “coarse.”

What do you mean by "stupid hot salts?"

westin said:
That sounds amazing. Great review! I might try my hand at making something similar this year. ;)
Thanks for the kudos Westin, it really is a great tasting salt and seriously not too salty like some infused salts I’ve tried. I also make my own infused salts and it's fun sharing them with family & friends. If you have the gear I sure would recommend trying to make some, if not Shane might have something left to sell, just Click Here, but at the prices he’s charging he could be all out soon.

stc3248 said:
Haha...there are a few folks out there with some of the "stupid" hot salts...I made some Devil's Tongue, Yellow Brain, Red Brain...they're all really good. I like all my powders seasoned a bit. I will have to shoot over some Brain to Ramon so maybe he can write something up with all his perdy words!!! If you need any info shoot me a PM and I'll hook you up with everything you need to make it tasty...just not quite as tasty as mine...Hey, I gotta keep a couple secrets!
I know you didn’t use the term first but what is meant by “stupid” hot salts? Is this a reference to poorly made products? So far I’ve found the products you’ve made top notch and way underpriced.

I appreciate the offer for mas but I haven’t even gotten to your other stuff yet and I’m bogged down at work. I did get a chance to dip my index finger into the smoked Manzano pepper seasoning and it’s awesome, low heat but super tasty mon, great job!

Keep up da great work but got to tell you, your gifting da kitchen sink mon, the prices are ridiculously too low …

Haha...I think the reference "stupid" hot wasn't meant as an insult...more of referring to powders/salts made with superhot pods...at least that's what I took it as???  Especially since he referenced Butch T and Brain pods...they work very well and are somewhat tamed by using them in salts. Perfect way to use the Stupid-Hot pods!

stc3248 said:
Haha...I think the reference "stupid" hot wasn't meant as an insult...more of referring to powders/salts made with superhot pods...at least that's what I took it as???  Especially since he referenced Butch T and Brain pods...they work very well and are somewhat tamed by using them in salts. Perfect way to use the Stupid-Hot pods!
lol on me, I have to stop reading this stuff when I'm brain dead after work, hahaha ...

WalkGood said:
Not sure if you have a grinder but Shane’s salt is finely ground, might not look like it from the pictures I took so close up but it shakes out of a standard salt shaker just fine. I don't think coarsely chopped or flakes would work well for infused salt ... I could just be reading into your use of the work “coarse.”

What do you mean by "stupid hot salts?"

Sorry for the confusion Raymon, they are currently coarse from a food processor grind, but will be finely ground in a coffee grinder later. I grind them coarse first for two reasons 1) They take up less room than whole dried pods 2) you can use them as flakes in a shaker if you want. I make my powders from the flakes. 

I think stupid hot salts was a term I swiped from Shane's glog a couple of months ago when he did a write up on hot salts. He made mention of making some pretty hot salts and IIRC, coined them stupid hot. 
On or around May 10 or 11th. 

Back