• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense My first ripe Carolina Reaper (ever)

I know others have had earlier harvests, but since this was my first carolina reaper ever (I'm new to growing peppers anyway), I thought I'd share the photo.
Please note, none of the other pods on the plant share this picture perfection (in my view).  Most of the others seem a little "boxy" and lack the well defined tail this one does.

By the way, it was *hot*, with an instant burn that actually resolved a lot faster than I would have thought.  Growing conditions probably played a big role in it, but I think my ghost peppers this year are a bit hotter than my CR was, but that's subjective - and not meant to stir controversy, I'm just making an observation.

The seeds I used came directly from puckerbutt pepper company.

CR_1_8-9-2013.JPG

Bruce said:
I know others have had earlier harvests, but since this was my first carolina reaper ever (I'm new to growing peppers anyway), I thought I'd share the photo.
Please note, none of the other pods on the plant share this picture perfection (in my view).  Most of the others seem a little "boxy" and lack the well defined tail this one does.

By the way, it was *hot*, with an instant burn that actually resolved a lot faster than I would have thought.  Growing conditions probably played a big role in it, but I think my ghost peppers this year are a bit hotter than my CR was, but that's subjective - and not meant to stir controversy, I'm just making an observation.

The seeds I used came directly from puckerbutt pepper company.

That is a very nice Reaper that you have Bruce. This is also my first  year growing superhot peppers.
Where are you located in Kentucky? I live in northern KY in Covington.
My first couple Reapers seemed like they weren't as hot as I hoped they would be. I had actually ate a few ghost peppers that were hotter. The third pepper I picked was like a piece of the sun. I used a few tiny pieces in some eggs that I was eating. It was the hottest thing that I have ever eaten.

Jamison said:
Congrats on your first pod! Mine aren't turning out so pretty.

Like I said, this was the only 'picture perfect' one so far, the rest are kinda cuboid/boxy and with minimal tail, although that may change, I just don't have the experience to know.

KingChile said:
WOW that looks delicious!!

It was pretty good!

Ocho Cinco said:
That is a very nice Reaper that you have Bruce. This is also my first  year growing superhot peppers.
Where are you located in Kentucky? I live in northern KY in Covington.
My first couple Reapers seemed like they weren't as hot as I hoped they would be. I had actually ate a few ghost peppers that were hotter. The third pepper I picked was like a piece of the sun. I used a few tiny pieces in some eggs that I was eating. It was the hottest thing that I have ever eaten.

I'm in lexington, near the UK campus.  I'm hoping that my next reapers get hotter, but I have to admit, the ghost peppers really have a great flavor and it'll be hard for me to find something better.

Noah Yates said:
Sweet deal man!!!  my first reapers are coming in too... pretty gnarly... and i do mean pretty XD

VERY nice peppers!

jerrymart said:
nice looking pod

Nigel said:
Congrats, that`s a fantastic looking Reaper!

Tinben said:
Nice pod and congrats on first year with super hots.

Thanks guys! I was honestly pretty darn stoked about it  =D

Just noticed we Kentuckians own this thread XD

Kentucky Reapers
  :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
                    :party:
                   :hell:

Go Big Blue!!!!!!

I used to live in Taylorsville, KY. Does that count?
Nice stingery pod, by the way. I have those and habby reapers. I might grow them out next year and call them "super habs". :)

For those of you who have grown and consumed Carolina Reapers... what is the general taste like?

I've gotten into growing hot peppers the other year and just got into the super hots (for the aesthetic) and after putting some thought into it I'd prefer to grow super hots that have a lovely aesthetic AND a pleasing flavor underneath all of that heat.

I have yet to try one of mine... but as far as aesthetics go.... the reapers are hard to beat...  I would say the reapers, yellow scorpions, Butch Ts, and primos are the most aesthetically pleasing peppers I am currently growing. (well... i have a hard time leaving my tennis ball-sized mustard habs out of that list)  But I have yet to try any of them except for the Butch T, which i grew last year.  They have a strawberry/cherry aroma and a similar taste accompanied by a slight bitterness.  They do well in a sweet sauce to bring out that strawberry/cherry essence, while masking the bitter undertones.  great in sweet beans!!!! Mmmmm

"Beans! Beans! They're good for the heart... the more you eat the more you fart... the more you fart the better you feel... So eat beans for every meal!!!!!!"

Hammerfall said:
now eat the whole pods and film it !     

pepperhog said:
Yeah ^^^^^^^^^^^ eat em on video

Me and a buddy are going to have a Reaper challenge - I've just got to find time when I don't work the next day...
But fine, I'll video it if I can... it'll be bad.  :fireball: :rolleyes:

SaintSteven said:
I've gotten into growing hot peppers the other year and just got into the super hots (for the aesthetic) and after putting some thought into it I'd prefer to grow super hots that have a lovely aesthetic AND a pleasing flavor underneath all of that heat.

My ghost peppers last year did GREAT as part of a steak marinade.  They had a kind-of smokey flavor under the heat.  I only used one-half to one per steak and removed them before grilling (by the way, if you actually have ghost peppers on a grill, it'll gas you when you open that top up... trust me, I learned the hard way.)

Pepperhead said:
I used to live in Taylorsville, KY. Does that count?

Yes.

Back