Pepper origins

How do super hots come about; is the trinidad scorpion found growing naturally in trinidad or has it been selectively grown? Likewise is the naga a result of selective growing or just naturally occurring in Naga land?

Seeing how all chilli peppers originated from the Americas could the naga and trinidad share a common superhot parent.

Interesting questions, I don't think any of the superhots are found in the wild. I'm pretty sure all were developed by humans. So the scorpion may originate from Trinidad but was probably selectively breed for the heat. I am not a authority on this subject by any means so don't write what I say in stone.

Its an interesting subject... im no expert, but it seems like I have read that, yes, they all originated in south america  (where they variegated into all of the different species based on their microclimate...)  They branched out as they moved up the cointinent.  In the age of exploration, the spice trade from the americas to europe and europe to asia and vise versa also involved the propogation of the different sub species of chilis that were brought over to europe.  As these different types of peppers began to spread all over the world through the influence of european trade... the gene pools were subjected to new climates.... which drove the evolution fo those species into further subspecies as natural selection met genetic drift in this new climate...(and of course humans helped in the process through breeding for specific traits.)  So that all peppers share a common ancestor in south america.  This was the prevailing theory at the time i read about all that... 

Straightforward and while not altogether up to date, it is a decent review. Hot peppers have been grown as a crop by humans for more than 7000 years. That`s quite a bit of time to select characteristics!

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/proceedings1993/v2-132.html

Oh, and on a related topic, have you ever wondered what Italian cuisine was like before Tomatoes were brought back from the new world? I`d say that it would be 100+ years after Columbus brought them back to Europe before they were a crop the masses could afford. 

Great topic!
I found some references to a book called "The Pepper Trail" by Jean Andrews that apparently covers some of this.
I haven't read it yet, but do plan to do so soon.

The subject,depending on who is doing the research is interesting.

Most stuff I've read ends up boiling down to the trade routes at any given time.
A LOT of stuff was spread around from different places by the different routes of discovery all over the earth.

Then different uses were discovered for their uses by different cultures (slave trade etc.).
At times Salt and pepper/spices were more valuable than gold.

Food stuffs could be preserved with salt and bad tasting stuff could be masked with spices(some spices preserved meats and fish too).

In general,I don't think there is only 1 continent that actually originated the chile.
That is like saying,crab grass originated on MY lawn.

I'm sure different peppers were in more or lessor amounts in different places in different forms at one time.
Yes,some are pretty specific to different places but that isn't because that is the only place they grow.

Maybe it will take genetic testing to see what came from where and crossed with what or whatever.

In general I think Chiles are too wide spread now to even consider the point of origin.
You'd have to test every chile for specific genes and then follow them until hell freezes over to find the ones that had the genes that were no where else in the world at this time.

I see where you are coming from, Smokemaster, but it is very clear that the genus Capsicum originated in South America, was passed up through Central America and into Mexico. At one point in history there was likely to be a single prototypical species that others evolved from. It`s a bit like saying Humans originated in Africa. They did, but they colonized the rest of the world and developed different characteristics through adaptation to different climates over many thousands of years. 

Capsicum species probably spread and evolved over a very long time, probably 100,000 years or more. Archaeologists have found Capsicum seeds with human remains that are around 7500BC. Once they became a cultivated then the hands of humans selected for particular traits. 9500+ years of selecting and sharing seeds. 

DNA testing has been done a lot on chills, for more than 20 years, both wild species and domesticated varieties. There was a lot of discussion as whether C.annuum, C.chinense and C.frutescens were distinct species or not. DNA analysis says they are distinct, but a number of Landraces have genes from more than one species, e.g. Bhut jolokia. 

Here is a papper on the genetic diversity in C.annuum,

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0056200

The widely cultivated pepper, Capsicum spp., important as a vegetable and spice crop world-wide, is one of the most diverse crops. To enhance breeding programs, a detailed characterization of Capsicum diversity including morphological, geographical and molecular data is required. Currently, molecular data characterizing Capsicum genetic diversity is limited. The development and application of high-throughput genome-wide markers in Capsicum will facilitate more detailed molecular characterization of germplasm collections, genetic relationships, and the generation of ultra-high density maps. We have developed the Pepper GeneChip® array from Affymetrix for polymorphism detection and expression analysis inCapsicum. Probes on the array were designed from 30,815 unigenes assembled from expressed sequence tags (ESTs). Our array design provides a maximum redundancy of 13 probes per base pair position allowing integration of multiple hybridization values per position to detect single position polymorphism (SPP). Hybridization of genomic DNA from 40 diverse C. annuum lines, used in breeding and research programs, and a representative from three additional cultivated species (C. frutescens, C. chinense and C. pubescens) detected 33,401 SPP markers within 13,323 unigenes. Among the C. annuum lines, 6,426 SPPs covering 3,818 unigenes were identified. An estimated three-fold reduction in diversity was detected in non-pungent compared with pungent lines, however, we were able to detect 251 highly informative markers across these C. annuum lines. In addition, an 8.7 cM region without polymorphism was detected around Pun1 in non-pungent C. annuum. An analysis of genetic relatedness and diversity using the software Structure revealed clustering of the germplasm which was confirmed with statistical support by principle components analysis (PCA) and phylogenetic analysis. This research demonstrates the effectiveness of parallel high-throughput discovery and application of genome-wide transcript-based markers to assess genetic and genomic features among Capsicum annuum.

Here`s another one,

Genome. 1995 Apr;38(2):224-31.

A survey of DNA polymorphism within the genus Capsicum and the fingerprinting of pepper cultivars.
Prince JPLackney VKAngeles CBlauth JRKyle MM.

Source
Department of Plant Breeding and Biometry, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA.

Abstract

Interspecific genetic variation was examined in the genus Capsicum based on shared restriction fragments in Southern analyses. Four distinct clusters were delineated among 21 accessions of cultivated and wild pepper (C. annuum, C. baccatum, C. chacoense, C. chinense, and C. frutescens). Three tight clusters comprised of accessions belonging to C. annuum, C. frutescens, and C. baccatum, respectively, were formed, along with a fourth cluster comprised of one accession each of C. chinense and C. chacoense. All accessions were differentiated by this technique, and the clusters corresponded closely to previous morphology-based classification. Sufficient DNA polymorphism exists among these accessions that segregating populations useful for restriction fragment length polymorphism (RFLP) mapping could be constructed using any two pepper accessions as parents. Regression analysis indicates that genetic distance is a good predictor (R2 = 0.872) of the level of mappable DNA polymorphism in Capsicum. Intraspecific variability was examined among four C. annuum cultivars (NuMex R Naky, Jupiter, Perennial, and Criollo de Morelos 334) using both RFLPs and randomly amplified polymorphic DNA (RAPDs), allowing a comparative evaluation of the two techniques. Seventeen percent of the clones used singly in RFLP analyses were sufficient for the differentiation of these varieties, as were 12.5% of the RAPD PCR amplifications. Dendrograms constructed from RFLP and RAPD analyses of the intraspecific data are similar but not identical. Southern analysis and RAPD PCR should be useful for DNA fingerprinting and the discrimination of closely related C. annuum genotypes.

Also... in passing I should mention a little tid-bit that i find very interesting.  Did you all know that, according to botanists, the nightshade family (which come form south america) represents the most highly evolved and "newest" order of plants in the phylogenetic tree?  So that all of these new pepper and tomato hybrids are quite literally the cutting edge.  The nightshade family is actually a subset of a higher order, which includes other types of plants that are also "the most highly evolved," but I will have to check that with my dad later to get the specifics... he is the botanist who told me that. Just looking at wiki... probably the Solanales.

Nigel said:
Straightforward and while not altogether up to date, it is a decent review. Hot peppers have been grown as a crop by humans for more than 7000 years. That`s quite a bit of time to select characteristics!

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/proceedings1993/v2-132.html

Oh, and on a related topic, have you ever wondered what Italian cuisine was like before Tomatoes were brought back from the new world? I`d say that it would be 100+ years after Columbus brought them back to Europe before they were a crop the masses could afford. 

haha or the indian or thai for that matter.

indian food uses a lot of potato and even more tomato.
Noah Yates said:

Also... in passing I should mention a little tid-bit that i find very interesting.  Did you all know that, according to botanists, the nightshade family (which come form south america) represents the most highly evolved and "newest" order of plants in the phylogenetic tree?  So that all of these new pepper and tomato hybrids are quite literally the cutting edge.  The nightshade family is actually a subset of a higher order, which includes other types of plants that are also "the most highly evolved," but I will have to check that with my dad later to get the specifics... he is the botanist who told me that. Just looking at wiki... probably the Solanales.

The nightshade family itself did not originate in south America however Central & south America have the most species of nightshades. Here in Europe/ Asia we also have native nightshades; two famous examples are Henbane & Deadly Nightshade. :)
Some interesting reads on here. :)

I did a little research last night and found information on wiki that says that the oldest cultivated examples of Habanero's date back 8500 years and the pepper originated around the amazon.

Also regards to wild supper hot's or at least hot's above 200,000 scoville, I think it would be reasonable to assume that within the vast expanses of south America that there are some very hot wild peppers.  

Food for thought, 12/13 year ago the official hottest pepper was the orange habanero - and we all know the naga has been round far longer then that. The testing for super hot's is still in its infancy I reckon and I believe there are many many more to be discovered in local villages. Like the Trinidad scorpion for example... growing locally for goodness how long in Moruga.

Back