• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Brainstrain or moruga

What type of pepper is this?

• Red BrainStrain

Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Moruga Scorpion

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • some weird cross since it looks like neither

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
So, who thinks they can tell the difference?

I know what I planted and although I didn't buy the seeds myself, I was told they came directly from the source and I have no real reason to believe they aren't. 

Let's get some votes to see if THPers can tell the difference on sight because I don't think I can. 

20130816_181127.jpg

LOL. I can't tell the two apart 90% of the time. One thing I know about my plants is that the occasional BS will grow a tail and I haven't seen a moruga with a tail. Given one 1lb bag of each, I could probably pick right 99% of the time. Given 2lbs mixed together I could probably pick them singlely with confidence 10% of the time.

Is there a difference in terms of the growing patterns of the actual plants themselves?

I've vastly expanded my array of super-hots grown this year but screwed up in one particular area. I thought that my labels were waterproof but regrettably I was mistaken.

I'm either 100% or close to it on just about all strains. The only two which have me clueless are the TSMB and the BS. I have absolutely no idea which is which. I'll keep an eye out for a pod with a tail, thanks for the tip.

This is 100% pure red brainstrain
2012-07-14_21-55-50_709-1.jpg

20130809_170559.jpg
Here's a red brainstrain I got from Judy @ pepperlover

They look nearly identical look at the wrinkles (BRAIN look)

I'll keep this open for a couple more days before I post what it is. 

I think the results are interesting though. As of right now, the Moruga has a slight lead, but of the people that posted comments, there doesn't seem to be a way to definitively identify the strains. Brian's comments were particularly interesting. 

Jeff, I would think brains by look and the fact you said they were said to have come from the source. We know the brainstrain source. The TSMB source is not as easily defined, if you will, but assuming Sarah R in Trinidad.
I do agree that some of the TSMBs i have seen look very similar, if not identical.

I personally think there's a lot of variables that could be involved here. For one that people have different strains of the same pepper and secondly who knows whether or not if the seed had crossed on the way to your hands. That being said what is a picture perfect brainstrain or moruga? Personally i don't know but i believe they are more wrinkled and can grow tails and the moruga is smooth.. Hammerfall posted some pics on fb of his moruga and i think they look on the money. Maybe we can get him to chime in. Here's my brains don't have any of my moruga pics atm..

The six in the middle in a triangle
CAM01093_zpsdc3644f7.jpg

CAM01086_zpsb6cf3d4c.jpg

megahot said:
This is 100% pure red brainstrain
2012-07-14_21-55-50_709-1.jpg

20130809_170559.jpg
Here's a red brainstrain I got from Judy @ pepperlover

They look nearly identical look at the wrinkles (BRAIN look)

Nice, but I think brain strains are called brain strain cuz they look like a brain, hence round and wrinkled.
Jeff H said:
So, who thinks they can tell the difference?

I know what I planted and although I didn't buy the seeds myself, I was told they came directly from the source and I have no real reason to believe they aren't. 

Let's get some votes to see if THPers can tell the difference on sight because I don't think I can. 

20130816_181127.jpg
Look like my brain strains

Okay, enough of this. The answer is that the plant is labeled Moruga Scorpion. I bought two of these plants from a local greenhouse who claimed they got the seeds from the source. No idea what that means, but that is what I was told. Both plants are making identical pods and all pods on hte plant look the same. 

Amazing how two separate varieties can look so stunningly similar. 

Haha that's what happens when everyone and there brother is crossing plants left and right. Soon were not going to have any different types, they are all going to look the same. My Brain Strains, Morugas and Infinities all look the same.

Back