• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Want a C.chinense with zero heat???

Thanks again to Brian at www.ghostpepperstore.com. 

One of my goals for this year was to find one or more C.chinense varieties with little or no heat, but that retained the flavour of C.chinense. I`ve tried quite a few and a lot fall short in the flavor department, yet others are still pretty bloody hot. Yes, I`m taking about you Trinidad scorpion sweet! 

Well, this is the best one I`ve found so far, the Yellow Aji dulce #2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMMH3P5F39Q&feature=c4-overview&list=UUvpwCBbWBXpc-AzNlkEf8RA

JungleRain said:
there is also Trinidad perfume & Trinidad Seasoning
Thanks a lot for the suggestions, I appreciate them. I`ve had both this year and I think the Aji dulce are better in terms of flavour, but I have not had many of any of them and I`m sure there is a wide range of flavours. 

Another less known variety that you might like is the Vicente's Sweet Habanero.
I've tried some pods grown by a friend the past season.
Sincerely I find the chinense taste extremely weird and not pleasant without the usual heat wave and i prefer sweet annuums but i'm not the biggest chinense fan in general ;)
Nice review btw.

Cya

Datil

Awesome Nigel, I was hoping you would get around to trying these. I can honestly say that this is the most interesting pepper I am growing this year. Every time I eat one, my brain seems to get confused. It like it expects the fire, then proceeds into a error loop when the fire never comes. These also make excellent poppers!

Let me know when you want some, I have plenty of them since I really only sell a few at the farmer's market once in a while. People do love them though, nothing but positive reviews.

The mustard t-scorp I tried from vincent(coheed) had no heat at all sweet like a bell. I asked SilverSurfer about his mustrad t-scorps and he said when he tried them that they also had no heat. Good flavor and they look really cool. 

Nigel I have some sweet venetian hab seeds I will send you. I think they are just what the doctor ordered. 

thegreenman said:
is Tobago Seasoning = Trinidad seasoning?
I don`t think so. My impression is that they are 2 different peppers. I have only had the Trinidad seasoning, not the Tobago. 

I purchased Trinidad seasoning seeds from PepperLover.  There were some crumbs in the bag which I immediately tasted - delicious but definitely hot - I would guess over 100,000SHU.  I could be completely wrong as it wasn't a huge sample but was definitely surprised by the heat. PepperLover has Tobago seasoning listed separately suggesting they a different.

I have 4 seedlings going currently and they are happy vigorous little plants.

Hi Nigel,
It's a real pain trying to find a good seasoning Pepper with the Chinense flavour and little heat. I have been on a bit of a quest for about 5 odd years and man it's hard.
I found with most of them they either had the nice Chinense smell but also had alot of heat(hab level) or they were mild but did not have the Chinense flavour.
It seemed to be like the Chinense flavour was linked to the heat. More heat more flavour!

I did grow quite a few different ones last season but had a bloody rodent take a liking to my Peppers and got there before I could pick any.
Luckily I gave a plant to a friend who grew some awesome tasting low heat seasoning Peppers. Unfortunately he lost the label for them so I do not know which version he grew.
I have some spare seed I can send you if interested. It was the only plant he grew so it was isolated.
Here is a link to a thread I posted http://thehotpepper.com/topic/39768-free-seasoning-pepper-seeds-aussies-only/

Nice review on the Aji Dulce #2, sounds like that is one I need to try. i did grow Aji Dulce Amarillo but never got any fruit from it.
Some I didn't like are Trinidad Perfume(excellent smell, no heat but a bit tasteless), Vicentes Hab(mid heat, Annuum taste), Tobago Seasoning(hot, chinense flavour). Just my 2 cents worth.

Micca

thegreenman said:
is Tobago Seasoning = Trinidad seasoning?
No, the pods even look different, The Tobaggo is more oval and the Trinidad more pointy. I can't recall any of my Tobaggo's ever having any detectable spice <500 shu (mine were advertised this way), but i've heard one or two people mention mild spice.

- Tobaggo Seasoning
- Amazon Chile Roma
- Datil Sweet
- Numex Suave
- Zavory
- Aji Dulce (mentioned earlier)
- Trinidad Perfume: this one tastes quite a bit different than any Chinense i've eaten (sweet, fruity, doesn't taste like a petroleum product).

Thanks Micca.

I suspect you are 100% right about how difficult it is and it would seem likely that the genes for heat and the genes for flavour are linked somewhat. 

Trinidad seasoning are reasonably hot, so it looks like Tobago seasoning are too. I was very hopeful about the Trinidad Scorpion Sweet, but they are around good solid Habanero-hot. Very sweet and the taste great, but too hot for most. I agree about Trinidad perfume, but I have a bunch of plants and they are about as good as I`ve found so far. Now I have these Aji dulce #2 to grow.

I`d love some seeds and it is very generous of you to offer. I`ll PM you about it. The Aji dulce seeds I have are OP, so I`m not sure whether they would grow true. I`ll ask Brian about whether he has some isolated seeds to sell me and I`ll let you know.

Nigel said:
Thanks Micca.

I suspect you are 100% right about how difficult it is and it would seem likely that the genes for heat and the genes for flavour are linked somewhat. 

Trinidad seasoning are reasonably hot, so it looks like Tobago seasoning are too. I was very hopeful about the Trinidad Scorpion Sweet, but they are around good solid Habanero-hot. Very sweet and the taste great, but too hot for most. I agree about Trinidad perfume, but I have a bunch of plants and they are about as good as I`ve found so far. Now I have these Aji dulce #2 to grow.

I`d love some seeds and it is very generous of you to offer. I`ll PM you about it. The Aji dulce seeds I have are OP, so I`m not sure whether they would grow true. I`ll ask Brian about whether he has some isolated seeds to sell me and I`ll let you know.
I've grown out Tobaggo Seasoning 3 years, two different seed sources. No spice with mine.

This thread is the first i've heard anyone mentioning it being anything more than mildly spicy.

Just a friendly heads up.

Edit:: one of my Tobaggo seed sources, he is also one of the few decent seed vendors on Ebay: http://www.thechilliman.biz/Chinense%20Species.htm

Nice to hear that someone has grown a mild Tobago Seasoning. It is hard finding good seed sources that grow true too.
Having a look at mine and going by what has been said maybe mine is Trinidad seasoning but was sent as a Tobago.
Here is a piccie-
213nlo2.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't mark down the source. I have some more from different sources and will give them a go. Also like I said it is hard trying to find a true variety and is only my 2 cents worth.
the Chilliman is fantastic and have got a heap from him over the years.

would love to grow the aji dulce #2 if you get hold of any Nigel.

Micca

Nigel said:
I don`t think so. My impression is that they are 2 different peppers. I have only had the Trinidad seasoning, not the Tobago. 
If you havent tried Tobago Seasoning, I have a big Crop coming in and I'll send you some for review Pm me your addy. 

Micca302 said:
Nice to hear that someone has grown a mild Tobago Seasoning. It is hard finding good seed sources that grow true too.
Having a look at mine and going by what has been said maybe mine is Trinidad seasoning but was sent as a Tobago.
Here is a piccie-
213nlo2.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't mark down the source. I have some more from different sources and will give them a go. Also like I said it is hard trying to find a true variety and is only my 2 cents worth.
the Chilliman is fantastic and have got a heap from him over the years.

would love to grow the aji dulce #2 if you get hold of any Nigel.

Micca
My Tobago Seasoning has no heat. (pepperlover)

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1365]

Anyone want to trade seeds, Tobago( from me) for Trinidad or some other seasoning? (besides T. Perfume, as I already have some).

I've found that several Chinense have heat ONLY in the seeds/Placentas.
IF you clean them out the flesh is a lot of times almost heatless and sweeter.
Chinense taste but little to 0 heat.

There are several Tobago and Trinidad Seasoning Peppers out there.
I found it depends on the specific plant you have seeds from.

There are several Aji Dulce types from Cuba that are sweet IF you de seed/clean them out before tasting them.
I guess it depends if you want to eat a pod off the plant or clean it first.
It's been a while since I grew Rocotillo but it seems it wasn't very hot if you cleaned it first.

Several Baccatums are similar.
Some Bishops cap types are pretty heat less once cleaned.
I found out a few years ago when making poppers out of a bishops cap/crown or whatever from pods I pulled everything out of first.
I don't remember which specific one,it just looked like a bishops cap or similar and was a Baccatumm.

Same with a couple Chinense varieties.
It's been too long,I don't remember what specific varieties.
I do know 1 was from Cuba-an AJI Dulce of some sort...

Howdy Smokemaster,

A very good point there.
I found the Seasoning Pepper that my friend grew to be very similar, it had more heat around the placenta.
It has just been hard getting the Chinense taste I was looking for in the flesh without getting too much heat.
Most of the milder ones seemed to loose the Chinense taste in the flesh.
I make powder out of alot of my peppers and deseed them all as I don't like the seeds in there. Brings down the heat and brings out the flavour.

Great looking plant there Greenman, I will have to have a look and see where my other Tobago seeds are from.

Micca

Back