• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

My bhut is sick and needs help...

My bhut jolokia has been doing great until recently when I noticed a couple of the pods were developing some weird black lines on them. Now I am noticing that the stems on these pods are turning yellow and then the pods fall off of the plant. I really hope it's not some sort of mosaic virus.

Here's a shot of one of the pods that is still on the plant.
bhut%2520007.JPG

Here's one that fell off the plant.
bhut%2520004.JPG

Here's what they look like on the inside. Those black seeds can't be good...
bhut%2520023.JPG

Here's a shot of the plant these pods came from...
bhut%2520006.JPG

It seems that whatever it is, it is spreading. Everyday I notice more pods with the black lines on them and more pods are dropping off of the plant. Has anyone seen anything like this before? I sure could use some help on this one.

D

got the same prob

too much rain/water im riding it out with a few the leaves are dropping of of two plants and im hoping the new growth will be fine

im not sure what else to do except dont overhead water the plant on at the roots

thanks your friend Joe

It appears to have the symptoms of the dreaded Mosaic. Near harvest time the fruits are usually the first to indicate infection. Brown streaks, distorted, and splotches like yours. Spreads and transmits easily via plant-to-plant contact and handling. Sanitize everything in contact, clothes included.
I would confirm the virus before the necessary next step. Painful I know. Hopefully it's not MV, but does appear to be.

Salderas said:
It appears to have the symptoms of the dreaded Mosaic...

I have quarantined the plant after finding all of these pods on the ground this last weekend. It looks like I might have to "put her down". :tear:

IMG_20130826_135046_501.jpg

I sure hope the rest of my pepper plants don't get sick too.

D.

Personally I dont think its TMV, cause the plants leaves dont have the weird spotted signs of TMV and there is no stunted growth,
the plant itself also looks healthy.
Tobacco mosaic damages the leaves, flowers, and fruit and causes stunting of the plant. The virus almost never kills plants but lowers the quality and quantity of the crop, particularly when the plants are infected while young -----> http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/dg1168.html
I think its mold at the rootbase or another problem, if I were u I'd gently pull the plant out of the pot being carefull not to destroy your plant
and have a look whats going on at the rootbase.
I hope that this doesent spread to your other plants...

DevilsEyes said:
...I think its mold at the rootbase or another problem, if I were u I'd gently pull the plant out of the pot being carefull not to destroy your plant
and have a look whats going on at the rootbase.
I hope that this doesent spread to your other plants...

You might be onto something. When I first started having this problem, I noticed the plant was near an errant lawn sprinkler that was giving it some extra water. The sprinkler has since been fixed and the soil dried out. Maybe I should hit it with a drench of hydrogen peroxide?

D.

U could give it a try with the hydrogen peroxide, but be carefull with that not using too much, cause it will kill the plants, see this link

http://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com/gardening-with-hydrogen-peroxide.html

I'd start with actually looking at the rootbase and trying to identify whats going on.
When u see fungus or molding I'd be going for an anti fungucide additive in the water u give them, dunno which kinds they sell in the states.

here is a link to home made stuff against fungi, mildew,.... (when rootbase is affected definateley also use additives when watering and not only do the foliar spray)

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/Organic-Recipes-Homemade_vq204.htm

Greetz,

Oli

Looks more like Pepper Mild Mottle Virus (different than Pepper Mottle Virus). Symptoms appear primarily on the fruit and match roughly what you have shown. The virus can be transmitted by mechanical contact, so be careful when you handle your plants.

Back