• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Pickled Jalapeño ring recipes

Hey everyone I usually make a grip of salsa every year to sale but this year Im just not into the work required so I decided to take a year off. But because of this I have a ton of Jalapeños that I need to pickle. I love Jalapeño rings as I put them on everything, but the only pickle recipes I have include oregano and I learned last year I don't like with pickled jalapeños as I threw a bunch out! I have a crisp and regular recipe. I looking for a proven perhaps simple recipe from someone who has experience pickling jalapeños year after year.
I have both regular and Billy Biker Jalapeños. Thanks !!

I pickled some red chilis, banana peppers, and habaneros this year..... I find the best way to go is to fill your jar with pepper rings, add 1 tbsp of salt, 1 tsp of sugar, and fill with white vinegar. Don't even cook them. The crispness of the pepper will stay intact and have a really good pickled flavor. However, I find that the vinegar sucks the heat out of the pepper. I was able to eat my pickled habs today like they were candy.... very little heat. They've been sitting for about two weeks.

HERE!
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09314.html

updated link-

It's an excellent recipe.  I've used it with great results.  Substitute whatever chiles or other veggies for those in the recipe, just try to keep the total weight about the same.

If you want shelf stable, you will need to hot water bath which will take a little of the crunch away.  if you have room in the refer, do some cold packed. 

Make the brine and let it cool.
Stuff the jars
cover with brine
seal, refer, and let sit fro 2 weeks for the vinegar to penetrate into the flesh of the veggies. 

Pickling in straight up vinegar, no water, sounds crazy Phil!

The Hot Pepper said:

Pickling in straight up vinegar, no water, sounds crazy Phil!

But tastes delicious! I've done it with 50/50 water vinegar mix before, and I've always found something lacking..... We usually pickle eggs 5 dozen at a time to share at work.... The 50/50-60/40 mix works well for those. But for peppers, I'm finding that straight vinegar, salt, and sugar are awesome. Consider big name hot sauces.... ingredients peppers, vinegar, salt. Basically just pickled pepper puree
Or maybe I'm just one of those weirdos that likes the strong pickle taste...

AND AND AND..... you can take the spiced vinegar and spritz your food with it..... Hot pepper vinegar!

Phil said:
I pickled some red chilis, banana peppers, and habaneros this year..... I find the best way to go is to fill your jar with pepper rings, add 1 tbsp of salt, 1 tsp of sugar, and fill with white vinegar. Don't even cook them. The crispness of the pepper will stay intact and have a really good pickled flavor. However, I find that the vinegar sucks the heat out of the pepper. I was able to eat my pickled habs today like they were candy.... very little heat. They've been sitting for about two weeks.
No heat ? That won't work ? I buy jalapeño rings from the store and they have heat so there has to be a way to preserve the heat.
salsalady said:
HERE!
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09314.html

It's an excellent recipe.  I've used it with great results.  Substitute whatever chiles or other veggies for those in the recipe, just try to keep the total weight about the same.

If you want shelf stable, you will need to hot water bath which will take a little of the crunch away.  if you have room in the refer, do some cold packed. 

Make the brine and let it cool.
Stuff the jars
cover with brine
seal, refer, and let sit fro 2 weeks for the vinegar to penetrate into the flesh of the veggies. 
Thanks !!!

Maybe it's because I have a bunch of onions and garlic in the jar with them...... I haven't tried it with straight hot peppers yet

Back