• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Naga viper??

This is growing on my naga viper plant.  

naga%20pod.jpg

WOO Hoo, you got a peppers growing! if you bought a naga viper then that is a naga viper pod. but in all reality if you are asking for people to identify this pod, its not going to happen, post another picture once the pod is full grown and ripened to full color even maybe a little inside the pod pic too. but till you have a ripe pods really no way to tell what ya actually have growing here.

interesting,

I am growing all my superhots from purchased seed. I have butch t's  that are showing a similar pod.

when planting, I never had more than 1 pac of seeds open or on the table at any time and I took xtra precautions to eliminate any posibility of mis labeling the growing vessels.

butch%20t.jpg

and then, I have butch t's looking like this.

butch%20t%203.jpg

although nothing is impossible, thats not possible.     I know its a contradiction but thats how sure I am about any mix up on my part.

that aside, anyway of Identifing at this early stage just what they really are.

the seeds were ordered from Pepper joes and are the top 5 hottest in the world, so that will tell you they are either hp22b, naga viper, Butch T, morouga scorpion and bhut jolokia. I only got 1 morouga to germinate and its in a 3 gal container right now. obvious diference from anything else I have.

Well... while the picture of the alleged viper could be a viper... I would not say the same of the alleged Butch T... that does not look at all like a Butch T.  Maybe you got a cross.

Noah Yates said:
Very interesting... defintely a cross or unique pheno!!!
I have ghost peppers also that look like Large Habaneros.
Actually, I have a rather disappointing grow of peppers that dont resemble what they should, it's is not what I spent 5 months trying to grow. The resulting peppers may in the end be as you stated "interesting" that remains to be seen.

the ghost pod I was refering to. 
I have searched google and found these pod resemble in no way their respective namesakes, and I have found variations that indicate otherwise. I am at a loss. what should I look for in the distinctive tastes for a naga viper and a B T scorpion??
ghostnot.jpg

Go check out vender vault, and you will get an idea why your pods didn't grow true.  Not trying to start a Joe-Bashing, but there has been a lot of pissed off customers because of variety variations.  I don't have any room to complain because he sent me seeds for free, but they didn't grow true. 

On the Naga Viper part, it is extremely difficult to accurately point out a NV....it is not now, and has never been, stabilized, and because of that there are dozens of pod shapes out there.  I have seen elongated tailed pods, spear-shaped pods, and blocky pods, all carrying the NV name.  It is pretty much a craps shoot.  I think a better way to tell would be off taste, as it has a floral/naga taste to it.  But even then you are still guessing. The downside of dealing in hybrids.

Sorry about not getting what you paid for, and it definitely sucks that in this hobby you have to wait for months before even knowing. 

Yeah... I have all sorts of varieties that turned out to be something other than advertised.  However, I ordered from multiple sources... so it seems to me its not so much that the vendors mislabeled/mixed up the seeds as much as its probably due to the "open-air' pollination methods most of them use.  So that pretty much everything is just a wild cross where the seeds you get probably come from a pod of the "cultivar" you want, but the pollen that contributed half of its geneitc material in the production of the seeds comes from any other plant they have growing.  Interestingly, this season it is mostly my nagas that are not growing true... I have a black naga that produces red pods, a naga morrich that produces absolutely gigantic yellow pods, and a king naga that produces medium-sized, box-shaped yellow pods.  Additionally, my three 7 pot primo plants all produce different color, size, and shaped pods none of which actually look like classic primos.  My morugas dont quite look like anyone elses... although they do look awesome.  I will say this... I ordered my seed stock from three sources: PepperJoe, Refining Fire, and Jungle Rain... and out of those three Jungle Rain is the only one whose seeds all grew true.  I would still recommend all three vendors.  Each of them have varieties that the others dont.... and, for the most part, their seeds do grow true.

Just my .02, but if you are a vendor and your business is to sell seeds you should be isolating. I very rarely buy from anyone who doesn't isolate. Now trading and sharing is a different story, but if I am purchasing something, it should be true. There are plenty of vendors that isolate, and I just stick with those. It's irresponsible to sell non isolated seed.

OK, thanks for that input. it places a whole new outlook on what may have happened and how to avoid it in the future. so for the record, who does grow true isolated seed stock?

I know this is a bit late by several months, but if you buy seeds try Judy at Pepperlovers. com also there are others that I'm sure you would be far happier with and you will get what you want.

Back