• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

1st Attempt at Mustard

Ventured into mustard making over the last couple of days.  Found and modified a recipe from the internet for a tequila/lime/chipotle/habanero mustard.  I used a combination of red habaneros/nagas/scorpions, chocolate habaneros, and cappuccino scotch bonnets and various smoked powders that I had in stock.  Loving this and see this getting used on some grilled brats at the next Illini tailgate.  I yielded (8) 1/2 pint jars.  Not ridiculously hot but definitely a nice kick!  Thanks for looking.

P1040363.JPG

P1040366.JPG

TJP

You're probably seeing the mustard seeds, looks like whole grain mixed with a smooth mustard.

You're probably seeing the mustard seeds, looks like whole grain mixed with a smooth mustard.

I was hoping these white grains are garlic :(
That would been great

PepperLover said:
I was hoping these white grains are garlic :(
That would been great
They are mustard seeds.
BrooklynXpat said:
Looks nice and chunky, care to share the recipe?
Here you go:

Somewhat modified a recipe that I came across on the internet:

18 Total Red Habanero/Naga/Scorpions (combination of the 3)
6 Total Chocolate Habaneros/Cappuccino Bonnets (combination)
Just over 2 cups of tequila
2 1/4 cups mustard seeds
a few squirts of yellow mustard.
3 cups cider vinegar
1 1/2 cup yellow mustard powder
3/4 cup agave nectar
9 TBSP lime juice
3 TSP Kevin's Biker Chipotle (2012)
2 TSP Terry's Smoked Red/Yellow Blend (2012)
1 TSP Terry's Smoked Chocolate Bhut Jolokia Powder (2012)
3/4 TSP salt.

Processed the reds in food processor, added to tequila and boiled for a couple of minutes.  Added mustard seeds and soaked over night.  Added rest of ingredients next day and processed in food processor.  Brought to boil and simmered until I got the consistency that I wanted (maybe 30 minutes).  Ladled mixture into sterilized jars.  Processed in boiling water bath for 15 minutes.  (8) 1/2 pint jars.   It's actually not too hot and is something that a lot of non-chile heads may enjoy.

Back