• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Harry's 2013-2014

This season is mostly a continuation of the last season. My attempts to start a few varieties that I haven't grown have been unsuccessful thus far.

To kick things off here's two of my red Rocoto plants side by side:

Rocoto Red plant #1 and #3

I'm working towards figuring out why the plant on the right is a paler green.

From 2010 H2:
  • Capsicum annuum Jamaican Yellow (1 plant)
  • Capsicum chinense Caribbean Red (1 plant)
  • Capsicum chinense Datil (1 plant)
  • Capsicum chinense Seven Not, Orange (1 plant; probably hybrid)
  • Capsicum chinense Trinidad Scorpion
  • Capsicum pubescens NotLocato (2 hybrids; distinct phenotypes)
  • Capsicum pubescens Manzana Yellow (1 purchased; yellowish orange strain)
  • Capsicum pubescens Rocoto, Orange (2 plants; second orange strain)
From 2011 H2:
  • Capsicum annuum Ebony Fire (3 plants)
  • Capsicum annuum Ebony Fire x Capsicum annuum [white flowering unknown] (1 plant)
  • Capsicum annuum NotFluorescent Purple (1 plant)
  • Capsicum annuum Goat's Weed (1 clone)
  • Capsicum baccatum Aji Omnicolor (1 plant)
  • Capsicum chinense Bahamian Goat Pepper
  • Capsicum chinense Beni Highlands (1 plant)
  • Capsicum chinense Biquinho (1 plant)
  • Capsicum chinense Habanero Chocolate (1 plant)
  • Capsicum chinense Limón (1 plant)
  • Capsicum chinense Scotch Bonnet TFM (3 plants + 1 clone)
  • Capsicum chinense Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate (2 plants)
  • Capsicum chinense NotTrinidad Scorpion Chocolate (1 plant)
  • Capsicum chinense Trinidad Seven Pot (1 plant)
  • Capsicum pubescens NotLocato (1 hybrid; fatter phenotype)
  • Capsicum pubescens Manzana Yellow (1 clone)
  • Capsicum pubescens Rocoto, Orange (2 plants; strain 1 - lighter than strain 2)
From 2012 H2:
  • Capsicum annuum Jalapeño
  • Capsicum baccatum Blondie (1 plant)
  • Capsicum baccatum Ina Red Drop (1 plant)
  • Capsicum chinense Biquinho (1 plant)
  • Capsicum chinense Habanero Orange (1 plant)
  • Capsicum chinense Limón (5 plants )
  • Capsicum pubescens Canario (1 plant)
  • Capsicum pubescens Rocoto Aji Largo (1 plant)
  • Capsicum pubescens Rocoto, Red (4 plants)
  • Capsicum pubescens Sukanya (1 plant)
From 2013 H2:
  • Capsicum annuum Ebony Fire hybrid (1 plant)
  • Capsicum annuum Jalapeño
  • Capsicum annuum Ebony Fire (8 sprouts)
  • Capsicum annuum Goat's Weed (multiple starts)
  • Capsicum chinense Bahamian Goat Pepper (3 plants)
  • Capsicum chinense Limón (4 plants)
  • Capsicum pubescens Canario (1 clone)
From 2014 H1:
  • Capsicum baccatum Bishop's Hat (1 sprout)
  • Capsicum chinense Beni Highlands (1 sprout)
  • Capsicum pubescens Not Locato Gen3 (1 sprout)
  • Capsicum pubescens Rocoto Aji Largo (1 sprout)
  • Capsicum pubescens Rocoto, Orange strain 2 (3 sprouts)
  • Capsicum pubescens Sukanya (1 clone)

so what happened with your bahamian goat pepper attempt in 2012/13 Harry, i was trying to follow it through your glog but i got messed up. did they survive to make it into 2014 or do you have to start again. is that in your 2014 grow list? that is one of the few peppers left on my grow list.

like you, i have to grow both goatsweed and caribbean red. for whatever reason, they appear to indestructible plants. cold, hot, it doesn't matter they just keep growing.

oh, and the omni colour what is happening with that this year?

Burning Colon said:
so what happened with your bahamian goat pepper attempt in 2012/13 Harry, i was trying to follow it through your glog but i got messed up. did they survive to make it into 2014 or do you have to start again. is that in your 2014 grow list? that is one of the few peppers left on my grow list.

like you, i have to grow both goatsweed and caribbean red. for whatever reason, they appear to indestructible plants. cold, hot, it doesn't matter they just keep growing.

oh, and the omni colour what is happening with that this year?
My original Bahamian Goat Pepper that began as a sprout at the very end of October 2011 is currently flowering. I sowed 4 Bahamian Goat Pepper seeds into pots where I was having no luck with the other seeds in late August. All 4 sprouted but have been stunted by seed raising mix that was not my first choice. I transplanted a couple of the Bahamian Goats about two weeks ago.

My Goat's Weed clone from the second half of 2011 is alive and has an volunteer offspring in its pot that popped up in spring 2012. Both Goat's Weed plants are gearing up to bloom. These plants stood up to extreme heat last season with no need for special care in general.

A Caribbean Red from spring 2010 put on regrowth after I switched to a Manutec Granular Fertiliser. The same fertiliser brought life back to a similarly dormant Scotch Bonnet TFM plant #4.

I have one Aji Omnicolor plant that came up as a volunteer. It's putting on regrowth now after surviving through its second winter.

Good luck with your season! Looks like the rocoto on the right is responding to whatever you are feeding it,I see some darker green in the new growth.

Pr0digal_son said:
Good luck with your season! Looks like the rocoto on the right is responding to whatever you are feeding it,I see some darker green in the new growth.
Thanks, the one on the right though as of earlier today is half crispy after the temperature spiked over 30 °C. I watered it with Iron chelate solution on Sunday.

The rest of the photos I took on Monday follow.

The Sukanya plant on the left below is a good shade of green:

Sukanya (left) and Rocoto Red plant #3

The Blondie plant as of being transplanted a week has been switched over the the granular fertiliser I mentioned above:

Blondie

Rocoto Aji Largo plant with first fruit set - switched over to the granular fertiliser after the tip browning hit:
]
Rocoto Aji Largo

The Canario plant pulled through well and is gearing up to bloom:

Canario

Scotch Bonnet TFM plant #4 is the first of the plants I switched to the granular fertiliser:

Scotch Bonnet TFM (plant #4)

I feed the majority of the plants with using Manutec Tomato Magic fertiliser is what I use to feed the majority of my potted plants.

I decided to document the analysis of the fertiliser here given the manufacturer did not on their web site and I could not find it elsewhere:

Manutec Tomato Magic Analysis
Code:
%W/W
5.50  Nitrogen (N) as Nitrate
6.50  Nitrogen (N) as Urea
12.00 Total Nitrogen (N)
8.00  Total Phosphorus (P) as water soluble
20.00 Total Potassium (K) as water soluble
0.70  Calcium (Ca) as Nitrate
1.30  Calcium (Ca) as Phosphate
2.00  Total Calcium (Ca)
0.70  Magnesium (Mg) as Sulphate
0.40  Sulphur (S) as Sulphate
0.05  Manganese (Mn) as EDTA Chelate
0.10  Iron (Fe) as EDTA Chelate
0.01  Copper (Cu) as EDTA Chelate
0.01  Zinc (Zn) as EDTA Chelate
0.10  Boron (B) as Soluble Boron
0.002 Molybdenum (Mo) as Sodium Molybdate
The percentage of Nitrogen is a bit higher than I prefer. I have had success using it on Rocoto plants. Two of my orange Rocoto plants that have been in the same 15 L pots since 2011 H2 have fruit set.

PepperLover said:
those Yellow ones need some Epsom salt and fish/kelp mix
I have been working towards getting the seedlings to a more healthy shade of green.

Trinidad Scorpion plant had a surprise for me:

Trinidad Scorpion (Ripening Runt)

The dried up petals on the fruit give an idea of scale.

I ended up with a powdered form of Manutec Trace Elements with the following details:
Code:
%W/W   Analysis
6.29   Sulphur (S) as Sulphates
10.00  Calcium (Ca) as Carbonate
3.62   Magnesium (Mg) as Sulphate
2.88   Manganese (Mn) as Sulphate
2.73   Iron (Fe) as Chelate
1.25   Copper (Cu) as Sulphate
1.00   Zinc (Zn) as Sulphate
0.09   Boron (B) as Borate
0.0038 Molybdenum (Mo) as Molybdate
I applied it in solution to some of the more stunted plants in pots this past week. I will look back at the results from the application to the yellow 7 in a week from yesterday.

Today I noticed the consequence of what is a higher than preferred Sulphate content when the mixture of it and rain water turned from a suspension of creamy white colour to a yellow.

I decided to experiment with feeding my SB TFM plant #4, my yellow 7 plant and a Carmine plant #1 using Manutec Orchid Bloom Booster that I found handy. NPK 15.8:6.7:25.3. Full analysis as follows:
Code:
%W/W   ANALYSIS
5.8    Nitrogen (N) as Nitrate
10.0   Nitrogen (N) as Urea
15.8   TOTAL NITROGEN (N)
6.7    TOTAL PHOSPHORUS (P)
17.0   Potassium (K) as Nitrate
8.3    Potassium (K) as Phosphate
25.3   TOTAL POTASSIUM
2.80   Sulphur (S) as Sulphates
0.06   Magnesium (Mg) as Sulphate
0.24   Manganese (Mn) as Sulphate
0.03   Zinc (Zn) as Sulphate
0.02   Copper (Cu) as Sulphate
0.02   Boron (B) as Sodium Borate
0.0014 Molybdenum (Mo) as Molybdate
0.4%   Maximum Biuret
I will be keeping an eye out on how much precipitate gathers in the pot plant saucers. The three plants chosen have failed to set fruit thus far.

Rocoto Aji Largo sole fruit close up that I took earlier:

Rocoto Aji Largo

Looking god down there, bro!  Awesome group of multi-year plants!

Awesome pod, Harry - I guess that would be
around 2 1/2 inches in our parlance.  Pretty nice!

PaulG said:
Awesome pod, Harry - I guess that would be
around 2 1/2 inches in our parlance.  Pretty nice!
The fruit on it past the second one have been smaller wit the one featured in the centre being about 4.5 cm long:

Rocoto Aji Largo

The Rocoto Aji Largo plant is performing better of late than the other red strain.

Canario clone has two unripe fruits:

Canario

The first unripe Canario fruit has an elongated shape:

Canario (First Fruit)

The fruit on this one would be the darker of the orange strains here if not for the impact of heat and sunlight:

Rocoto, Orange (plant #2)

The lonely two ripe fruit on this particular Bahamian Goat Pepper plant are an illustration of the state of C.chinense plants:

Bahamian Goat Pepper

The C.pubescens plants out performed the C.chinense plants. After a down pour I threw out two ice cream containers full of fruit from the large plant pictured in this post.

Interesting that the pubescens have outperformed the chinenses.  
Have you had a cooler than usual season, Harry?  

There may only be two pods on the B Goat, but they are winners!

PaulG said:
Interesting that the pubescens have outperformed the chinenses.  
Have you had a cooler than usual season, Harry?  

There may only be two pods on the B Goat, but they are winners!
This season has been one of the hottest on record (12 days above 40 °C). There were periods in the season where the C.pubescens plants set fruit when the majority of the C.chinense plants were just dropping flowers.

The young C.chinense Limón plants have a low yield too. This is a strain that did well in the past two seasons when the conditions were also very hot.

The Blondie, a C.baccatum, even had trouble in the harsh conditions. Now that the weather has cooled down it's beginning to set fruit more extensively. The yield on another C.baccatum, Aji Cristal, is very low too.

My original Bahamian Goat Pepper that's in its third season has fared better than the younger plants.

The C.pubescens plants for the most part seem to do more with less.

How much grow season do you have left, Harry?  
You've had quite a time of it weather-wise.

PaulG said:
How much grow season do you have left, Harry?  
You've had quite a time of it weather-wise.
If the trend for warmer temperatures is much like that of last year then my season will extend into the first month of winter (June).

Back