• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spicegeist 2014 - The Year of the Bhut

This year I'm growing primarily bhut/naga types.

Not much to look at now, but thought I'd kick things off since I'm already starting seeds:

Here's my list:
  1. Red Bhut
  2. Choco Bhut
  3. Yellow Bhut
  4. Peach Bhut
  5. Shabu Jolokia
  6. Naga King
  7. Naga Morich
  8. Naga Suomi
  9. Dorset Naga
  10. Guwahati Bhut
  11. Pale Bhut / Bih Jolokia
  12. Jay's Peach
  13. Fatalii
  14. Lota Bih
  15. C. galapagoense

HillBilly Jeff said:
Great close ups!!!!

Thanks...

stickman said:
Great pics of the red Bhut and the cross next to it... hard to believe you got such nice ones with the camera on a cell phone. That must have taken a bit of trial and error, eh?

Thanks!  I do have to take a couple to get the right shot, but by now I generally know when the conditions are right, otherwise I won't even bother.

Pr0digal_son said:
Have you grown the Caramel Bih? Ridiculous plant! I will try to get you some photos. I know you like uniformity,you will enjoy these.

Same as Bhut Jolokia Caramel? I've some seeds from Jukka waiting to be sowed :)
By his description it should be a very prolific and relatively compact plant.

Cya

Datil

These are from Chris,long slender pods. I'm not sure who his source was. Like you mentioned,compact and prolific like most indian types I have grown. This plant is in a smaller container,I would like to grow it in the ground next season.

Here is a branch of the plant,you can't see how prolific it is in a full photo.
14574717869_62693dcd1c_c.jpg

Datil said:
Same as Bhut Jolokia Caramel? I've some seeds from Jukka waiting to be sowed :)
By his description it should be a very prolific and relatively compact plant.

Cya

Datil

Here is some Naga King pod variation.  Keep in mind I have these in a relatively small pot and they don't get enough sun:
14791887384_645b8b14c2_b.jpg

Here's what that pod in the post above looks like on the inside:
14793865312_f6da8bf284_b.jpg

Very hot, bhut-like, but also distinct from bhuts.  Maybe the best way to describe it is that it is sweeter in aroma and flavor with meatier pods than bhuts.  Of course that pale pre-ripe coloration is a give-away too.

Some of the pods can be quite plump, but this may also be due to an environmental factor:
14791119681_8cba8f3000_b.jpg

Donne Sali x Cumari do Para F2 (yellow version), I had other F2 plants that put out red pods, but I was looking for the yellow pheno:
14608094817_310ce53c1a_b.jpg

It's a productive plant:
14794277922_d434dab78f_b.jpg

Let me know if anyone wants to help me grow this one out.

Liking that cross Charles. I can make a spot for a few next season.
My king nagas are a bit suspect at the moment. Need to look up the source. I know I purchased them last year from a vender.
Those look good and sweeter is good in my book. Sound delicious.

Spicegeist said:
Here is some Naga King pod variation.  Keep in mind I have these in a relatively small pot and they don't get enough sun:
14791887384_645b8b14c2_b.jpg

Here's what that pod in the post above looks like on the inside:
14793865312_f6da8bf284_b.jpg

Very hot, bhut-like, but also distinct from bhuts.  Maybe the best way to describe it is that it is sweeter in aroma and flavor with meatier pods than bhuts.  Of course that pale pre-ripe coloration is a give-away too.

Some of the pods can be quite plump, but this may also be due to an environmental factor:
14791119681_8cba8f3000_b.jpg

Interesting that your Naga King pods look like a "peachy" red when ripe. Mine are from the same source, but there's some cross action going on there...  The pods on one plant look true as far as I know...
SANY0098_zps928fa3bd.jpg

but the other looks like it crossed with a Tabasco. I like Lourens' suggestion of naming it a "Nabasco".
SANY0076_zpsdaeb7bc9.jpg

The plant is huge! I probably cut it back by 40% so it wouldn't crowd out the true Naga King plant next to it, and it still grew back to a yard tall by a yard wide in about 2 weeks.
SANY0108_zpsea88b061.jpg

The BOC looks like the pod shapes haven't stabilized yet, but I hope they taste like Matt said in his review last summer.
SANY0100_zpsbebeeb80.jpg

Everything's looking great Charles! What do you plan on using this year's crop of Bhuts for?

Wow, cool.  F1 crosses tend to be very vigorous.  Probably pointless though to name it until it's stabilized, if you grow F2 out, you'll see a lot of variation.

Looking back at Lourens' 2013 glog, I'm satisfied that what I have has grow true.

Well, besides seed, I'll mostly just dehydrate and make powder.  Although I am tempted to buy a crock pot and do a ferment... we'll see...

I have a question (statement is just wow on this amazing grow [and of course Jason will "make a space" for it! :party: ]); but what are you top five fav bhuts for taste? And Charles, you meant one of those 55 gal drum "crock pots?" ;)

annie57 said:
I have a question (statement is just wow on this amazing grow [and of course Jason will "make a space" for it! :party: ]); but what are you top five fav bhuts for taste? And Charles, you meant one of those 55 gal drum "crock pots?" ;)

Ha, probably not 55 gallons, I wouldn't be able to use that much ferment.

Top bhuts... hmm, well some of them taste very similar, but my top so far are the guwahati bhut and a naga morich I'm growing.  I have a few that are still growing.  I really want to get a true large bhut, I think I have one, but it had a setback, so I'm still waiting to see how it does.  A yellow bhut is nice, if you get a good pheno, saving seed won't always help, as I think they're unstable, and growing conditions will impact them a lot (pot size and sunlight).  I'll have a better idea at the end of the season.
jedisushi06 said:
Those Shabu pods look right.

Here are two pods on the other plant:
14814426973_3c86f51eca_b.jpg

A lot of the pods on this plant are larger, but not very long:
14792227814_bf5746207b_b.jpg

They taste like bhuts and have pretty decent heat.

Nice pod shots Charles!!

It's very interesting to see how different growing conditions affect the outcome or a certain variety like shape, heat, productivity and what not. To me it would be nice to learn what the optimum conditions are to be able to get the best out of whatever. In your case the bhuts.

I really haven't had a bhut I didn't like. The first bhut I had was a chocolate one and still wasn't fresh but the aroma and flavor really caught me and so then I tried them fresh and I was blown away. Bhuts may be old school but to me they're still one of the best tasting supers.

That cumari do Para cross is a real winner, they're pretty hot and having a yellow at F2 is cool.

-Walt

Vegas_Chili said:
Nice pod shots Charles!!

It's very interesting to see how different growing conditions affect the outcome or a certain variety like shape, heat, productivity and what not. To me it would be nice to learn what the optimum conditions are to be able to get the best out of whatever. In your case the bhuts.

I really haven't had a bhut I didn't like. The first bhut I had was a chocolate one and still wasn't fresh but the aroma and flavor really caught me and so then I tried them fresh and I was blown away. Bhuts may be old school but to me they're still one of the best tasting supers.

That cumari do Para cross is a real winner, they're pretty hot and having a yellow at F2 is cool.

-Walt

The bhuts just need more sun than I have here on my patio.  If they can be productive here, they'll probably be productive anywhere... it's a good testing ground for me to narrow down my list.

The bhuts just need more sun than I have here on my patio.  If they can be productive here, they'll probably be productive anywhere... it's a good testing ground for me to narrow down my list.

I agree, but they do like to go wide. That's a big downside for me, well at least for now. This was my peach bhut before I gave it away to a good friend. It's given lots of pods and it's loading up right now. My friend is very happy with the plant and I hope to do more bhuts when I move to a house.

A friend sent me seeds for a bhut x Donne sali... I might have to get a couple of those going too. I like the idea of a bhut being crossed with a sali. What I have is seeds for F2. Would be interesting to see what comes up.

Very loaded with flowers. No pods really set. I was growing it in Deep Water Culture and notice the dark green leaves. I was told by a hydroponics expert that I had too much nitrogen in my feed water.

-Walt

Back