• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Ritchie Blackmore is an idiot

One reason I can't stand Ritchie Blackmore. What a moron! This is part of his interview by Guitar World:

GW: What did you think of Stevie Ray Vaughan?

BLACKMORE: I knew that question was coming. His death was very tragic, but I'm surprised that everybody thinks he was such a brilliant player when there are people like Buddy Guy, Albert Collins, Peter Green and Mick Taylor; Johnny Winter, who is one of the best blues players in the world, is also very underrated. His vibrato is incredible.Stevie Ray Vaughan was very intense. Maybe that's what caught everybody's attention. As a player, he didn't do anything amazing

Proud Marine Dad said:
One reason I can't stand Ritchie Blackmore. What a moron! This is part of his interview by Guitar World:

GW: What did you think of Stevie Ray Vaughan?

BLACKMORE: I knew that question was coming. His death was very tragic, but I'm surprised that everybody thinks he was such a brilliant player when there are people like Buddy Guy, Albert Collins, Peter Green and Mick Taylor; Johnny Winter, who is one of the best blues players in the world, is also very underrated. His vibrato is incredible.Stevie Ray Vaughan was very intense. Maybe that's what caught everybody's attention. As a player, he didn't do anything amazing

I don't have a problem with any 'thang that Ritchie said until the last line.

What SRV DID DO was revitalize blues and blues/rock when it was relatively unpopular with the masses. 

Buddy Guy, PG, AC, and even Johnny were still pretty much unknown except for the die hard blues afficianado and were it not for SRV it is questionable as to whether or not they would have the recognition for their accomplishments and talents today.

At that time, many folks had forgotten how incredible Jimi Hendrix was as well and SRV and his cover versions of Voodoo Chile and Little Wing brought back attention to Jimi and not only his musical genius but also how Stevie held Jimi in such high regard and that was Stevie's tip of the hat to arguably the best guitar player that ever lived.

Today blues cats, rockers, country listeners, metal shredders, even hip hop dudes and grandma's, all know who Stevie Ray Vaughn is and was. 

And they may also have heard "Smoke on the Water" but nobody these days knows who the fuck Ritchie Blackmore is.

As a player myself for more years than I care to admit, Ritchie to me had a fizzy thin crap tone and Deep Purple, Rainbow, and the succeeding Rainbow incarnations, did nothing for me. That music for the most part was typical boring A&R rock.

Well said my friend. As Nigel said Blackmore is overrated big time. Even the phenominal Eric Clapton said that Stevie gave him chills when he played and when he was around him he knew he was in the presence of greatness. Clapton has class, Blackmore has none! I guarantee you that when Blackmore dies BB King, Buddy Guy, Dr. John, Clapton and Robert Cray won't be playing a tribute concert for him !

Blackmore being Blackmore...Musically, I didn't think he was near as good as Paice, Lord or Glover but that's just my opinion. Smoke on the Water was the weakest song off of "Machine Head", again my opinion....

Since we're dropping names... What, no mention of Roy Rogers (no, I don't mean the cowboy actor) or Derek Trucks?

Richie Blackmore...isn't that the dude that plays the mandolin and hurdy gurdy in that crappy Renaissance/Medieval band Blackmore's Night...? :violin:

meinchoh said:
Smoke on the Water was the weakest song off of "Machine Head", again my opinion....

I agree, that song was a filler...catchy/memorable riff you bet, and sadly most people ONLY know that DP song...

meinchoh said:
Thanks for sharing, PMD...Just clicked on Bonamassa doing, "Lazy", my favorite DP tune and that was a treat!

Joe is the sheeit. 

Watching the London Shows on Palladia now.

He's got an anytime invitation to come on in my kitchen for supper.

I never understood Blackmore. Sure he was at the forefront of an era, but I found his playing sloppy and unimaginative. Today I can't even listen to Smoke or Highway Star. I was happy when he left Deep Purple and Steve Morse joined.

Nothing someone says matters any longer when he wears a Hobbit dunce cap for photo shoots.

BN3.jpg

Never was a Blackmore fan, either. SRV on the other hand, I love his work. To be fair, SRV may not have been the most amazing guitarist to have ever lived and his style was generally very basic pentatonic blues, but he made some great tunes and he had a LOT of feeling and he could make those bends sound a mile thick.

Back