• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

HP22BH's GLOG 2013/14

This is the 1st wave of my 2014 grow. (maybe half) It consists of my super hots, wilds? long season chilis and some interesting throw ins. I will update with suppliment list when available. Initial planting will begin sometime 12-25-13.

Aji limon
Aji crystal
Rocoto yellow
Brazilian starfish
Apache
Red savina
Hot lemondrop
Pequin
Nippontaka
Birgits lacoto
Dorset naga
Scotch bonnet choc
Manzano red
Rocoto red
Manzano orange
Devil tongue choc
Kori sitakame
Limon
Naga bon
Pequin Chiapas
Bakers lantern F1
Aribbi x aji
Thai birdeye
Hot Portugal
Tobago scotch bonnet
7 pot barrackapoire
Fatali white
Cgn 21500
Tiger teeth
7 pot yellow
Chenzo
Hp22b F1
Hp22b From Ed
Mirasol guajillo
Clavo
Paquillo
Zimbabwe bird pepper
Naga morich
Patenero
Devils tongue x agi gusanto
7 pot brain strain red
c.anuum glabriusculum
tiger bomb
co 1225
cgn 22184
7 pot white
Zavory
Pimiento du neyde
Naga viper
Fatali yellow
Scotch bonnet red
Cheiro roxa
7 pot jonah
Aji pineapple
Antillies fire
Devils tongue yellow
Moruga red
Bulgarian carrot
7 pot white x fatali white
Bakers lantern F2
7 pot orange
Devils tongue white
Cumari du para
Naga x cumari
Aji cito
Yellow orange bird pepper
Aji limo
Amazon
Cobra
Monster naga
Tco 7246
Co 4392
Douglah
Moruga yellow
Fatali x sevina red
7 pot red
Moruga brown
Datil
Bishops crown
Trinidad scorpion red
Pimienta du neyde x naga suomi F1
Butch T scorpion
bhut jolokia
Mutt

In most cases, 1.  I will bag flowers to secure seed stock for next season on the plants that I have limited seed now. Also, I have never tasted many of these chili's so this is also a grow for experience of the bite.
And then there is the sharing of the bounty that I like almost as much as the personal take.

Other plants will be more heavily grown. I now have a self inflicted addiction to brown moruga powder. I have also been told how great the baccatums are, so I may grow a few of each of those.And then there is the everyday run of the mill Jalapenos, Serranos and Habs for jams,sauces and sandwiches and most everyone likes those.

Yeah, one heck of a grow list!

unless I missed one or two, this is the second half of the grow.
I may add as interesting seeds become available.
I will probably plant these on Saturday

Tabasco
purple cayenne
serrano
orange hab
jalapeno
thai hot
techanatsume
super chile
white hab
chocolate hab
mustard hab
kung pao
tazmanian hab
pumpkin hab
golden hab
jamaican hab
Fogoso habanero
Ancient Sweet
Chocolate Sweet
Corno di Torro
Fish Pepper
Hungarian Black
Jalapeno, Purple
Jalapeno, Red
Jalapeno, White
Japones
Pero Orange Sweet
Pero Red Sweet
Pero Yellow Sweet
Peter Pepper
Purple Flash
Purple UFO
Red Hot Chili
Serrano, Purple
Serrano, Red
Tasmanian Red #1
Thai Red
Mix, Aji
Amazon Orange
Aribibi Gusano Red
Aribibi Gusano Yellow
Red Biquinho Iracema
Caribbean Red Habanero
Congo Red
Congo Trinidad
Habanero Long Chocolate
Habanero Long Orange
Habanero Jumbo Peach
Habanero Long Peach
Habanero Red Heart
Habanero Red Jumbo
Habanero Red Long
Hurrican
Jamaican Hot Chocolate
Jamaican Hot Chocolate Strain #4
Yellow Bullet Habanero
Peruvian Purple
Unknown #1 Green
Unknown #2 Orange
Unknown #3 Red
Unknown #4 Yellow
Anaheim
Banana, Hot
Banana, Sweet Red
Bell, California Wonder
Bell, Chocolate Mini Cherry
Bell, Lilac
Bell, Unknown
Carmen Sweet
Cayenne, Golden
Cayenne, Purple
Cayenne, Ring Of Fire
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Hot Bell
Cheyenne, Orange
Giant Marconi
Italian Frying
Unknown Orange Carrot
Unknown Red Chile
7-Pot Red x ???
Bhut Jolokia Peach
Bhut Jolokia Red
Habanero Orange
Habanero Long Peach
Unknown #3 (Baker's #1)
Unknown #6 Fatali-like
Unknown #8 Li'l Red Bullets
Unknown #9 Long Bumpy Red
Unknown #10 Red Tongue
Unknown #16 Red Long "White Bhut"
Unknown #2 (ZanderSpice)
Mustard Habanero
Black Congo
White Peruvian Habanero
Aji Amarillo
Aji Amarillo # 2
Chocolate Habanero

Love the list.  First time seeing Tazmainian and pumpkin hab.  If I grow something out that you want to try, I wouldn't mind doing a pod swap.  I really like my habs and like trying new ones when I can.

Impressive list for sure.

Good luck on you grow this season.

HBJ

Geez, Jeff!  I thought your list was awesome before!

Should be an intense grow over yonder!  Have fun
keeping all those straight!

Amazing list, where in Illinois are you? It's nice to know others are struggling to grow in this climate.
Jerry

1st weeks pic, 140+ in the dirt and more on the way. hopefully they will arrive today.
I was going to plant only super hots and slow growing/fruiting varieties but, by planting everything now, I have a 2- 3 month buffer to evaluate germination and growth rates of the muddbloods and such.

2013 2014 grow 1st week.jpg

HP22BH said:
1st weeks pic, 140+ in the dirt and more on the way. hopefully they will arrive today.
I was going to plant only super hots and slow growing/fruiting varieties but, by planting everything now, I have a 2- 3 month buffer to evaluate germination and growth rates of the muddbloods and such.

attachicon.gif
2013 2014 grow 1st week.jpg

You're gonna have a pepper jungle.

maximumcapsicum said:

You're gonna have a pepper jungle.
No doubt, my first glog for my first winter start.
Still waiting on the mantids to hatch to X the aphid situation. The biggest disappointment so far is not being able to find any good growing media around here this time of year. Forced to use miracle grow and perlite. I am contemplating a system for bottom watering without having to double the use of Dixie cups. Will keep posted how that works.

The "pepper jungle" has begun!
I have 16 seedling popping up with more, I am sure, to pop in short order. What a way to start the new year.

HP22BH said:
No doubt, my first glog for my first winter start.
Still waiting on the mantids to hatch to X the aphid situation. The biggest disappointment so far is not being able to find any good growing media around here this time of year. Forced to use miracle grow and perlite. I am contemplating a system for bottom watering without having to double the use of Dixie cups. Will keep posted how that works.

That is incredible. Where do you get the mantis eggs? Is it hard? Have you done this before?

I was thinking about flooding the garden with lady bugs before taking in my OW's next year.

maximumcapsicum said:

That is incredible. Where do you get the mantis eggs? Is it hard? Have you done this before?

I was thinking about flooding the garden with lady bugs before taking in my OW's next year.
1.They are available online.2. pretty much attach them somewhere that they can hatch and descend from their thread while they dry.3. No, first time. I have a nephew that is and entomologist and he sent me links to places he recommended.

Yeah, I would recommend that before bringing in plants. Had I only known I would have been more prepared.
I would have liked to have gone the ladybug route but, many references on here said they would just go dormant. Plus many LB suppliers will only ship next/2nd day air. $100.00 for lady bugs?? :rofl: NOT!

So far all seems to be going well. considering I am not really doing anything special. no seed heating mats, no special growing media(that is unless you consider miracle grow seed starting mix) special. I was running lights 12/12 @ 600-750w. changed to 16/8 @1000w during the weekend when I an home and @750w during the workweek. I have found the at high output the fan/light combination tends to dry out the cells rather quickly and I don't need dry pods before their time.(Literally before their time). The buggers have found the germination trays so now I have to keep a close watch for outbreak.

Just under 50% of my planted seed variety has germinated since 12/25/13 including my second yellow rocoto a c.eximium 1225 and C. Species TC07246 (still looking for more info on this one) and the yellow orange bird pepper.

The time has come to start moving the more mature sprouts to the 18oz Dixie cups.
As I had mentioned earlier, I have an idea that I wanted to try to conserve cup usage by half and still promote bottom watering. Generally, when using plastic drink cups for intermediate grow out, the use of 2 cups are required. the actual growing vessel which has holes punched into the bottom of it and the second cup in which water is applied to provide water to the bottom of the cup with holes present. I am going to introduce an inverted flexible drinking straw into the single cup prior to filling with growing media. Watering will be preformed using a 60cc syringe injected into the top of the straw and thereby eliminating the retention cup and still providing water to the bottom of the growing vessel.

Aphids are still an issue as the mantis oothe never hatched. This caused a significant waste of time. If weather breaks soon, I have a friend in Indiana who has ladybugs wintering in a huge leaf pile in his yard. As a matter of fact, the area he is in has ladybugs in epidemic proportions during the summer. He has a few, almost always present in the house all winter long.

Road Trip!!

I have been transplanting the peppers from the sprouting trays to 18 oz solo cups as they mature enough to do so. The aphids situation has put enormous stress on the seedlings thus far. As noted in my other topic (Aphid solution) I have finally found a product that seems to kill the vermin rather than just giving them a bath. Between the aphids and getting used to growing under a decent light it has been an ongoing struggle to get the young plants to take off and look like healthy young pepper plants. I think once the stresses induced by the aphids have been removed I will be able to better figure out just the ideal light settings and height the plants are looking for. Right now I have backed off the 12/12 cycle @ 600watts, my lowest setting. I had used a mixture of MG and perlite in my 1st re pots. My second set of re pots from the growing trays went into a mixture of equal parts MG and coco peat and 1/2 part perlite. I like this second mixtures consistency and if nothing in this ratio or mixture is modified, I will be using the same when moving to 1 gal pots or bags. I have been waiting patiently for the second planting of the chiero roxa and the pimenta de neydes to pop as well as a few of the CO and CGN varieties. I have also started some seeds using the 3oz solo cup vs the seed starting trays as I think these may become more versatile for many reasons.

Still no manzanos. gonna keep tiring as one of these will probably remain indoors on a permanent basis.

Back