• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Essegi 2014: 1st grow! Winter is coming.

Ok, today i decided to plant seeds.
First of all i want to thank who helped me in a thread and Sarge in particular that helped me to decide what to do! :D And Lonewolf from pepperfriends forum that has helped me a lot!

My list, all from Semillas, begin of september 2013:

ir2YmjGmgP7ma.jpg

• Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Red
  • HP22B
  • Trinidad Douglah
  • Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
  • Fatalii
  • Fatalii White
  • Ferenc Tender
I've planted all but Ferenc Tender seeds, i'll plant them next month or in beginning of March. If i'll plant them.
11 per type.
I've treated seeds for 15 mins in a 3% bleach solution then i washed them very well in water before planting.
During that process i lost 1 seed of Trinidad Douglah and 3 of Chocoloate Bhut Jolokia (i suppose 2 of that lost seeds were too tiny anyway).

I've used plastic glasses with an hole:
ikbKlTjRsglnO.jpg

The soil, specific for seeds (here before planting):
iPgVihUluA5J0.jpg

• PH 6-7
  • C/N 25
  • 0,6 dS/m
  • organic ferthilizer
  • neutral peat 65% volume
  • organic carbon on dry content 35%
  • organic nitrogen on dry content 11%
  • fulvic and humc carbon on dry content 11%
hope the last 4 are translated accurately...

izNE2bzF7uUIp.jpg

So 62 plants in total. In a 60*100 cm table
  • I plan to grow them all by myself until i have to change the vase.
  • Then i keep 2 per type (12 in total) of them in a 2,4 L vase each (top external diameter 18 cm). It's ok for my table. The rest goes to friends and relatives.
  • Then 1 per type in a 15-20 L vase each and 1 per type in ground. Or all in vases, but probably half on ground. Of course the last vases will go outside, i have a nice spot of 15 m lenght along my house walls that is without wind and quite hot.
Room, that is heating room:
iba6wA08eSrdAi.jpg

That round thing in the left is warm... I've turned on radiator on right.

Here measured temps in center table:

iMr6TuzQdT2ux.jpg

Considering some parallax error is 27°C or little more (hoping that thing is accurate) which is 81°F
In the night will be lower but i think still above 20°C (68°F)
There's some natural light, hope that helps.
I have to do some funny things for the light, unfortunately at home have prohibited to use drying racks that would have been perfect.

I've a 60*3 watts LED light, nearly 10K lumens. I've found a good price and more than half was a birthday present from friends...

iuV6XP6OHYLEV.jpg

It's the round thing.
Well, no cats or dog allowed in growing room! Hope all goes well..

rory said:
You had me at cheese with local black truffle!!! Drooling......
Yesterday I bought Tom with black truffle but I havent tried it yet, and I also have salami with black truffle waiting to be enjoyed!!!

Your bruschetta looks delicious!!
Nice, i tasted once some salami with truffle and it's good indeed! Btw the best use of trufflle i've seen until now is on potato gnocchi!

lucilanga said:
Hey Essegi,
how's life @ 7Mb/s ?
Is is stable enough?

Your early picked reaper pod look very similar with my reapers.
I had no tail all season long :(
That's the closest I could get to a tail:

reap.jpg

Very nice taste though, heat wise perhaps closer to a brainstrain.
Will you save a couple of seed from those two true pods for me ?
I've had probably just a couple of tails and shape is varying a lot, so it's pretty unstable.
I can save all seeds from that pod (the other good i had is now well gone) if you want, just it's an hybrid because i've not isolated stuff in middle of other peppers by any means so i have no idea of what will come from that and i'm not sure it will be useful. If you want them anyway i've no problem to send them to you. ;) Also next time i'll go where plants are i'll check if there are others nice shaped.
I suppose normal deseeding is good and keep them in a clean surface in the house, i just don't know how many days are required to dry them well.

Pretty stable btw!
106672644.png

I'm already saving in invectives!

Devv said:
I haven't seen one of those rulers in 40+ years, my Dad had one when I was a kid. I'll bet it's a collectors item to someone ;)

Glad you're getting your 7mb, woot! I pay for 2mb over wireless, it's the fastest thing out here in the sticks. I tested today and got 1.96mb on a pull. This guy who owns the wireless company used to have his dialup hardware in the rack next to mine at the colo noc. I bailed from the business and he continued, and now is doing really well! Funny I'm HIS customer now..LOL

Glad to see you're still pulling! How much time left in your season?

Scott, but I bet you $20.00 that your Dad's and my Grandpa's didn't have all those funny 25.4 marks every inch. They only were in 1/16ths. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

7Mbps is very respectable but we could never survive here on that, much less Scott's 2. We (as a family of 4) do way to much streaming for anything less than 20. I just tested it since Scott brought it up. 22.6 down, 2.3 up. At 15, we were having trouble watching a movie on Amazon while the kids were on Youtube. We pay for it though.

Jeff H said:

Scott, but I bet you $20.00 that your Dad's and my Grandpa's didn't have all those funny 25.4 marks every inch. They only were in 1/16ths. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

7Mbps is very respectable but we could never survive here on that, much less Scott's 2. We (as a family of 4) do way to much streaming for anything less than 20. I just tested it since Scott brought it up. 22.6 down, 2.3 up. At 15, we were having trouble watching a movie on Amazon while the kids were on Youtube. We pay for it though.

Well it's me and the wife here nowadays, and for $106 every 90 days it does just fine. We can stream Netflix, and youtube NP. In the mornings 2 of us are on, and it's just browsing the news sites while drinking coffee. I can go much higher, but the need isn't there so far. Although at work we have 100mb, and can pull 4.7 gigs in 6-8 minutes...now that's cool!

Well, 2Mb isn't bad if it works as intended. :D Mine was extremely cheap (9€ per months and was Mb symmetrical though activation was nearly at thief level, at least i can remove gears from myself and i've just done it, tomorrow i send the contract cancelation) but not very stable... I didn't asked for more speed cause i bet basic problems would have been the same but with higher price. For example when i had that week capped at 640Kb i was slower than before, but i noticed a far better quality... I'd be happy with just more than 4Mb/s, i think i'b be happy for my 7 for long time now. :D

Also next year maybe we still use my aunt place, but only for peppers... That year we've grown here some pumpkins and green beans, but made nothing for the weather... My aunt has grown really lots of stuff. :D
I can have a row of 1*18m dedicated to peppers. It's good because that place is only distant 2km to my home but has more sun. So i could plant 15-20 pants, not bad. I can plant and grow around 60 seeds with my "not lightbox", so till 10 qualities and i know who to give other seeds (buying from Semillas i heve 10-11 seeds per type)... I must think also how much place will take first repotting... That year i used some 2,5l vases that was even too big, i musst use something smaller or i can't grow more than 10 plants... For sure i could add bhut peach, jay's red and maybe red/yellow brainstrain (basic choiches are caramel/brown/yellow moruga, jay's peach and 7pod bbg). Must think about that. :D

Definitely go for yellow, you cannot go wrong with yellow.
yellow brainstain, yellow moruga you get the idea.

On drying your seeds, just put them in a small electronics components drawer, put them on the top of your cupboard and forget about them for a week or two, it will get them dried enough... just make sure you do not put them in the kitchen if you do a lot of cooking.

On another happy note, semillas novelties just hit the english pages too, including my arch-nemesis the hp22... Go Peter!

lucilanga said:
Definitely go for yellow, you cannot go wrong with yellow.
yellow brainstain, yellow moruga you get the idea.

On drying your seeds, just put them in a small electronics components drawer, put them on the top of your cupboard and forget about them for a week or two, it will get them dried enough... just make sure you do not put them in the kitchen if you do a lot of cooking.

On another happy note, semillas novelties just hit the english pages too, including my arch-nemesis the hp22... Go Peter!
Yeah, it's what i've heard too. Orange hab and fatalii are among the best tasting i've ever had.
now Peter should just put Bwown Moruga and Jay's Peach and i'll order.
Let me know if you still want the seeds, at the moment i preserve them so no need to hurry.

Nearly a decent harvest:
iSAnK3neLkc6a.jpg

With that i should be ok with my last 2 giveaways.
On bottom right reapers... No so ripe but i decided to pick them up also in that state since some have fallen by themselves.
The one of my previous harvest is the best shape wise of all. Yesteday i opened not that reaper but another older, it has very few seeds and don't look so good at all.
Tomorrow probably i'm opening the good reaper, we'll see.

I'm a bit worried since i have no date for when they'll plow... I hope at least 3 weeks... They'll warn me before however..

A stolen shot:
ibqYStWqYzrJ5b.jpg

Someone is making stuffed bell peppers with minced meat and mortadella! :D

PIC 1 said:
That is a decent harvest and the idea of stuffed peppers is a great one !
Thanks! I remember my grandma covering meatballs with mortadella then stuffing peppers and that worked.

Btw today i had another kind of harvest (not really mine, i just helped a bit some relatives and my dad in the afternoon):
ibn1Bgq0OtbHoK.jpg

Today's harvest should have been around 800 Kg.
That's red tocai, wine is excellent and grape itself is maybe the best tasting i've ever had (not one of that year).
The nice stuff is also that my uncle (once pizza maker, now my cousin) had a spare container and the cover for pizza dough and gifted it to me (60*40*11 cm, perfect size! Can contain 15 balls of 300g dough. That's nice since i was going to buy one exactly as that).

That's a bad year for grape, i've seen a row of white pinot like that:
ibeZ9f6spo8UGS.jpg

Also a phone pic i found, that's a nice shaped Cayenna from a friend of mine:
ibzulQHaxhlGzy.jpg

Lol! :D

So i analyzed that reaper:
iK5SdQ9Ksm1k7.jpg

i5HTH3QPVEgRP.jpg

Whoa... I have no idea what's that black stuff on left and i didn't noticed it. I removed it now.
Maybe not the or/st, but for sure oil and placenta are there.

iAAmAW5nFiAoY.jpg

Luckily seeds have decent shape. 9 in total.

ibgPIqCPAlxDES.jpg

Now i preserve them here. Glass and kitchen paper.

I was a bit tired to see some pods fall by themselves, others a bit rot and i want to push unripe ones since i've counted time and some plants are still loaded. It must be said that many pods detached too easily. So i have my first haul over the pound:

iblAQYU6F6NmGh.jpg

Clockwise form 11 o'clock: fatalii white, choco bhut, red moruga, carolina reaper, wrong pods, douglah, fatalii.
Maybe i've confused some small wrong pods, small morugas and carolina reaper... Not a big issue, things in doubt will go to the mix.
Also sometimes choco bhuts are really similar to douglahs so some confusion also here (but probably i'm mixing them together).

Here some detail:
imHXZw5kZDorT.jpg

I'll make some sauce with too unripe ones, the others will dry.
Oh, and also some fake chili con carne with beans for piadine at lunch!

Another 350g today, still harvested green to prevent them falling by themselves:
ib03G51AUS9ucg.jpg

Also i deseeded all pods from my last crop, i think i've spent 1 hour and half. Also that time i wore gloves. :D
Here all my pods drying until now, except eaten ecc of course:
ibgrNz35RCwoim.jpg

On plants i have still many morugas, choco bhuts, wrong pods, some douglahs and reapers, few fatalis.

RoninCat said:
Thanks! Loving your avatar! :D

cypresshill1973 said:
Great!!! how much variety!!

How many varieties have planted this year?
Thanks CH! :D Really, i've not that much variety compared to other growing.

In last pic there's from left to right:  Moruga, Fatlii white, Chco Bhut, Choco Bhut, Moruga, Douglah, Fatalli, some unknown superhots and 7pods and reapers, Douglah.

Also another crop on some leftover grapes:
im05RohqQJ1Ei.jpg

I took advantage of more unripe pods. A friend of mine has asked me a too hot sauce because there's a friend of him (that i know too, he's his master of medieval quarterstaff fightning... Cool stuff.) that seems very resilient to heat and wants to kill his arrogance in that. :D Since they are medieval fighting guys they like strong stuff! :D Sooner or later i want to join...
Btw i remember that a combo of blended peppers and cut peppers broke the arrogance of a guy that could stand an extract sauce... So i made that:

iHgoVJh4WHqxq.jpg

100g between choco bhuts, morugas, wrong pods (that are superhots), reapers, 1 douglah, 1 fatalii white... And some piri piri.

Pan fried 1 red onion of tropea, cooked with the strongest vinegar i have, some lemon juice, added 4 cloves off garlic, a Turkish blend of 4 type of peppers and paprika, carnation cloves, cumin, salt, cilantro seeds, nutmeg.
Then added the pods cut in half and other vinegar, blended all, cooked more, added chopped pods, cooked a bit more. Then in the cans i topped with evo.

ihiPWR4KcdP1a.jpg

ib2Cu9flLaIlPA.jpg

iba8VNfiMg96Ln.jpg

ibbi8GKPffoQYW.jpg

iheGOc6BaOt9v.jpg

That should have a bit more of 50% in superhot weight, excluding vinegar. Hope it will be hot enough.

RoninCat said:
and i'm loving yours! Angel Eyes is one of my favourite actors! :)

^_^
Thanks! I really like in particular his role in for a dollar more:
Awesome! :D

Devv said:
Very nice Essegi!

Glad to see the nice pulls, and the hot sauce looks hot!

So did you taste that Reaper?
Thans Devv! Still nope, Reapers are drying. I remember when i tasted it before i appreciated the lacking of bitter, or at least to me seemed less bitter than other supers while being even hotter and quite stingy. Not sure i liked the taste better than Moruga or Scorpion, but i'm really bad at feeling tastes. :(

cypresshill1973 said:

That if it will be really hot, even for the more harsh. 

That which is eating mashed? spread on bread?

Thanks CH! I keep one jar, probably that week i'll spread everything with that! :D For sure on bread is good, i've found that also those strong sauces are good on pasta, the bitter go away with that.
For the other guy... I've recommended my friend to offer no more than a teaspoon (and not a tablespoon as he would have done for sure) as first taste if they're making challenge. I wouldn't eat even that alone.

Back