• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Going to use grow bags this season

I've been interested in those as well PMD.  I'll follow this thread to see how they work for you.  Good luck!

Grow bags are great .. my small plants are in one gallon root pouches and doing very well.. you will not be disappointed.

I'm looking at trying these too. I'm currently growing in coco and have issues with the plants getting root bound in less than a month. These are supposed to help prune your roots as they grow. I think the idea is basically that the roots grow through the fabric and stop shortly after they reach the light and air outside of the fabric. I don't know how true it is, it's just what I've heard.

Neil

I said I bought the 10 gallon size if you had read my post. ;)
Yes it is the same company AM Leonard. I have been receiving their catalogs for years.

i'm going to use the Viagrow 5 gal

inspiration from this guy's pic
9621414_orig.jpg

Has anyone ever tried making their own growbags using burlap?... Ive been thinking for a few years about doing just that.

Blister said:
I'm looking at trying these too. I'm currently growing in coco and have issues with the plants getting root bound in less than a month. These are supposed to help prune your roots as they grow. I think the idea is basically that the roots grow through the fabric and stop shortly after they reach the light and air outside of the fabric. I don't know how true it is, it's just what I've heard.

Neil

Yeah these have gotten popular at my work in the last two years. We mostly sell the brand called Geo Pots and i will post a link with lots of info about growing in fabric pots in general. They are hard to clean and even more so if you have a few 100 of them i know one guy who bought a used cement mixer he throws in a few 100 geo pots with some rocks and bleach and lets it run for a few hours. Other people if you only own a few dozen gets a baby pool and a broom stick lol most people i talk to don't wanna use the washing machine.

If you are gonna buy a few different sizes and transplant them make sure you get the velcro seem or its gonna be a pain to get them out.

http://www.geopot.com/pages/advantages

Proud Marine Dad said:
It might double wrapped but for the price of the ones I just purchased it's not worth the work involved to make them.
yeah you are probably right... unless I could get hold of some burlap for next to nothing it wouldnt be worth it.

punchy said:

Those were actually the ones I was looking at too. 
Why? They are nothing but plastic bags. You could use nursery pots and achieve the same results. A fabric bag is much better as it air prunes the roots so that the plant does not become root bound as it can in other materials like smooth plastic.

Why? They are nothing but plastic bags. You could use nursery pots and achieve the same results. A fabric bag is much better as it air prunes the roots so that the plant does not become root bound as it can in other materials like smooth plastic.
Unless I'm mistaken it's a woven fabric made of polypropylene fiber. So, like burlap, just less susceptible to the elements. But I could be wrong?

--edit-- nevermind, I didn't follow the link. I was looking at these: Viagrow Breathable Fabric Pot

My mistake.

Back