• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite Least favorite varieties

We know what eveyone likes but what peppers do you not like.

I'm probably alone on this one but I don't like orange habs or at least most orange hab varieties.
I also don't like cayennes much at all.
One of the most dissapointing varieties for me was the PC-1 or Naga Jolokia which is low on heat and flavor.

The sweet ones are great, the veggie ones are great... so probably some of the Frutescens without any flavor at all. they're still awesome... goes well with ice cream. :P

I haven't eaten enough varieties to know my least favorite yet Potawie...this will be the first year for more than about 10 kinds of peppers...I like the orange habs and cayennes as mixture makers....

everyone has me "scared" of the PC1's...I have 4 seedlings that I don't know whether to transplant or not...

I'm in the same boat as AJ. The local super markets here don't carry anything hotter than jap and their never ripe. I might be able to answer in 90 days, but hopefully not :)

Im not impressed with my "Broome Chilli" also gave away all my Naga Jolokia plants.

Im looking for great tasting pods! at any heat level. :onfire:

Cayennes are my least favorite Potowie. I have replaced the generic "crushed red" that my wife requires for pizza and pasta with dried serranos and habs.

The orange hab I grew last year had a wonderfully smoky flavor, but it was the first hab I had grown.

I like most all peppers, the ones I can do without are the redundant ones. Guajillos, paprikas, thin bells, etc. all have about the same flavor and little or no heat, so I need only one of that type pod.

Paprika is another one of those strange terms. Its interesting to research what peppers are traditionally used in different regions for their sweet and hot "paprikas" and even smokey ones.

Last year I grew a Cubanelle chili that did nothing for me. I didn't like color, flavor, or the thin walls on that chili. I really dont like ancho/pablano chili for the taste when ripe, although chili rellano in a great mexican restuarant is on of my favorite dishes.

I guess cayennes are so commonly used because they just produce like crazy. A little like jalapenos, although I love jalapenos! They sprout at the drop of a hat and produce well.

AlabamaJack said:
I haven't eaten enough varieties to know my least favorite yet Potawie...this will be the first year for more than about 10 kinds of peppers...I like the orange habs and cayennes as mixture makers....

everyone has me "scared" of the PC1's...I have 4 seedlings that I don't know whether to transplant or not...

AJ - I grew PC-1 Last year, 'cause it was one of the hottest pepper at one time. They produced very well, and they made great powder. I grind them up with seeds. THis year I am growing Naga Jalokia, I did not know they are also known as PC1...dang I got taken. Well, atleast I have few extra plants to share it with relatives.

Sanj said:
AJ - I grew PC-1 Last year, 'cause it was one of the hottest pepper at one time. They produced very well, and they made great powder. I grind them up with seeds. THis year I am growing Naga Jalokia, I did not know they are also known as PC1...dang I got taken. Well, atleast I have few extra plants to share it with relatives.
They were never hot. I mean NEVER.

NEVER never hot I expected that when I got home... my precious Naga jolokia .. eating it carefully expecting a burn then another bite another bite and another bite and dumped the lot of them in garbage... stupid pepper. Really wasnt much flavor to them even after getting thru the seeds.

I havent really met one that I disliked but that one.

Back