• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The disease archive

Hello fellow chiliheads, during my search for what was wrong with my plants, I found great difficulty with diagnosing it based on descriptions. As such, I decided to create this thread as a list of all overwaterings, underwaterings, nutrient deficiencies, overdoses, sunburn, cold damage, heat damage, and pepper pests/diseases, images of the different variants of how they might appear, and how to treat them. I'm going to need your help getting images to use, so send me a PM with them and I'll add them and their treatment, if it's known, to the OP. If the boss could pin this thread, that would be quite helpful. 
And without further ado:
8690259666_eaa0f69547_c.jpg

Sunburn on a scotch bonnet seedling, caused by going from a dark place to a light one too quickly. The plant will be fine, just place it in a slightly darker location as an intermediate step.

9735682551_b50cb8ff34_z.jpg

Bacterial Leaf spot, early stage, use copper and mancozeb sprays at the same time, and ISOLATE THE SICK ONE BEFORE IT SPREADS.
9735681955_1588c59d13_z.jpg

Bacterial spotting, late stage. same as above, lucky if it survives at this point. Particular barrackpore survived for another 2 months, then rapidly lost color and died. Would consider this stage better to give up on it.
Tobacco_Mosaic_Virus_of_Tomato158.jpg

Tobacco mosiac virus, image courtesy of Wikipedia-Has no cure, isolate sick plant and change the soil of the other ones if they haven't gotten sick yet.

Great idea, give it time and people will help you populate.

Perhaps just have them post their information/photos here and you can edit your original post.

Yeah, I've been editing it now that I learned how to post pics directly from flickr. 

I'm gonna put the mottled virus cure as  :flamethrower:

Tobacco mosaic virus doesn't have a cure. If you get it best thing to do is burn all infected plants and pots need to be trashed or at least sterilized a few times with bleach.

I heard that a teaspoon of baking soda mixed in a quart of water sprayed on the plants, underside of leaves, tops, stems and moisting the top of the soil, but not to penetrate the soil every once in a while helps prevent/ cure the early stages of bacteria leaf spotting, has anyone else heard of this. was told that all it is doing is preventing the bacteria from growing by changing their growing environment, and picking off all the damaged leaves too

rebelgrower3 said:
Tobacco mosaic virus doesn't have a cure. If you get it best thing to do is burn all infected plants and pots need to be trashed or at least sterilized a few times with bleach.
that's what I said. Get it the hell outta there. I'm working on treatments for it, but haven't got anywhere yet. I'd still change the soil of the rest of them in case the virus is there but not in the plant yet.

Back