• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spankyscolts 2014 GLOG Season 3

Well folks here we are again at the dawn of another growing season . For me this is a rubber match year of sorts, you see the first year we were wildly successful then after my grow partner passed I was indecisive about growing again but after multiple mind changes I started too late and was a bit too ambitious as a result I had a bad year, it started with an aphid outbreak and ended with many green pods even the ones that did ripen weren't of the quality that I expect so that brings us to this year I have another partner in that he grows half of what we have at his place, we share resources and such but are otherwise seperate. I also decided to limit what I grow instead of trying to grow out 40-50 strains I settled on 12 at first but in this last week added another 10 or so but the key here is smaller. I do this because I enjoy it and I get to make a few bucks and share in THP community.

I'm not great at keeping my GLOG as updated as some but will share as often as I can with the good the bad and the ugly.

Well here's the starting list

1. Jigsaw - 8/0 -seeds saved from my 2013 pods
2. Butch T - 8/0 -seeds from Butch T's pods
3. Carolina Reaper - 6/0 -seeds from Pucker Butt
3x. Carolina Reaper - 2/0 -seeds from a 2013 prized pod
4. Naga Viper - 8/0 - seeds from Gerald Fowler
5. Bubble Gum - 4/0 -seeds from King Dennis via Jerrymart
6. Bubble Gum - 4/0 -seeds from Pex Peppers via Jerrymart
7. Ice Scream - 8/0 -seeds from Butch T via Keith
8. 7 Pot Primo - 8/0 -seeds from Pepper Lovers
9. Yellow Primo - 8/0 -seeds from John Ford
10.Chocolate Moruga - 6/0 - seeds from John Ford
11. Jays Peach Bhut - 6/0 -seeds from B.S. P. H.
12. Brazillian Ghost - 6/0 -seeds from John Ford
13. Kraken Scorpion - 6/0 -seeds from John Ford
14. Yellow Bhut - 6/0 -seeds from B.S.P.H
15. Naga Hybird - 6/0 - seeds from John Ford
16. King Naga - 6/0 - seeds from B.S.P.H.
17. Monster Naga - 6/0 -seeds from B.S.P.H.
18. Black Naga - 6/0 -seeds from B.S.P.H
19. Yellows Devils Tongue -6/0 - seeds from B.S.P.H.
20. Chocolate Devils Tongue - 6/0 - seeds from B.S. P.H.
21. Red Devils Tongue - 6/0 -seeds from B.S.P.H.
22. Red Bhut (Ghost) -4/0 -seeds from Greenearth
23. Chocolate Bhut - 4/0 - seeds saved from my 2013 pods

In all I started 144 plugs most have 2 seeds per hole and began life on a heat mat today set at 83 degrees.

The girls are all sweaty !

Well thanks for stopping by will try and update as often as I can.

Hey Robin!  Good to see you in the glogosphere this season, my friend.
We need to get together and chew the fat one of these days!

Good luck with your 2014 grow, buddy!

Just a quick update it's been 13 days since I started my seeds and I counted 100 of 144 up, I re-seeded some plugs on day 10 but a couple of varieties I really want to do well such as the Naga Viper which I only had enough to do 1 seed per plug are only up at 40% and the remainder don't seem to be doing that well also The Kraken is a little space but still hoping for some sprouts there. I will put up a detailed list soon.

Ok today makes 20 days since we started our seeds so it's time for a proper update, about 10 days in I re-seeded a few plugs, so I still have a few plugs on a heat mat. Yesterday I potted several up into 3.5 inch pots with most of what's remaining going to my partners place. Here's an updated list overall fairly satisfied although there are a few disappointments as well.

1. Jigsaw - 8/7 -seeds saved from my 2013 pods
2. Butch T - 8/4 -seeds from Butch T's pods
3. Carolina Reaper - 6/6 -seeds from Pucker Butt
3x. Carolina Reaper - 2/2 -seeds from a 2013 prized pod
4. Naga Viper - 8/5 -seeds from Gerald Fowler
5. Bubble Gum - 4/4 -seeds from King Dennis via Jerrymart
5a. Bubble Gum - 4/3 -seeds from Pex Peppers via Jerrymart
6. Ice Scream - 8/8 -seeds from Butch T via Keith
7. 7 Pot Primo - 8/8 -seeds from Pepper Lovers
8. Yellow Primo - 8/8 -seeds from John Ford
9. Chocolate Moruga - 6/6 - seeds from John Ford
10. Jays Peach Bhut - 6/6 -seeds from B.S. P. H. (2 just popped today)
11. Brazillian Ghost - 6/6 -seeds from John Ford
12. Somehow in my planning I skipped the number 12, and had the Kraken as # 12 & # 13 oops
13. Kraken Scorpion - 6/5 -seeds from John Ford
14. Yellow Bhut - 6/6 -seeds from B.S.P.H
15. Naga Hybird - 6/5 - seeds from John Ford
16. King Naga - 6/6 -seeds from B.S.P.H.
17. Monster Naga - 6/6 -seeds from B.S.P.H.
18. Black Naga - 6/6 -seeds from B.S.P.H
19. Yellows Devils Tongue -6/6 -seeds from B.S.P.H.
20. Chocolate Devils Tongue - 6/6 -seeds from B.S. P.H.
21. Red Devils Tongue - 6/5 -seeds from B.S.P.H.
22. Red Bhut (Ghost) -4/4 -seeds from Greenearth
23. Chocolate Bhut - 4/1 -seeds saved from my 2013 pods ( these were my own seeds taken from pods that ripened off the plant and they have not produced well at all, these plugs were re-seeded and the only one to pop has just a nub of green on the end and doesn't seem to be growing not sure what to make of it? So in all we have 129 out of 144 up. I also may of mixed up some of the Primos but there's no way to know til they grow.

Yesterday I potted up the following into 3.5 pots with a 50% Ocean Forrest and 50% Happy Frog amended with oyster shell meal for calcium and approximately 10% course perlite

1. Jigsaw -4
2. Butch T -3
3. Reaper -4
4. Vipers -4
5. Bubblegum -4
6. Ice Scream -4
7. Primo -4
8. Yellow Primo -4
9. Chocolate Moruga -4
10. Jays Peach Bhut -3
11. Brazillian Bhut -3
12. Each strain is numbered I have no 12 this year somehow I left it out?
13. Kraken Scorpion -3
14. Yellow Bhut -3
15. Naga Hybird -3
16. King Naga -3
17. Monster Naga -3
18. Black Naga -3
19. Yellow Devils Tongue -3
20. Chocolate Devils Tongue -3
21. Red Devils Tongue -3
22. Red Bhut -2
23. Chocolate Bhut -0 (Still hoping to get at least one of these)

Here are some pics first the pot-ups

Here's the plugs going to my partners the 4 closest to the end just popped today.

And finally my little set up with pot-ups and plugs on top and the remaining plugs on heat mats below

Well that's the update, Im still holding out hope for a Chocolate Bhut but will keep you all posted. Thanks agsin for checking in ?

Okay time for a quick update, most of my plants are starting to look nice many had started showing the puckered wrinkled look common when they're hungry for calcium so I watered in some CalMag and it seems to have quieted the natives. Man they are needing to be transplanted again but Im not ready lol . Rather than typing out a long update Id rather just do it with pics so here's some fresh snapped pics for your enjoyment

Heres a tray loving the light

Some rootage

More happy plants

A top view of a Jigsaw grown from my own seeds

You can see some light puckering on these

Here's another pic not sure you can see it clearly but notice the Naga Vipers in the middle they're smaller than the rest .. They always seem to grow slower than the other strains, this has been true every year Ive grown them

Well there you have it another update in the books, I was turned on to some King and Monster Naga seeds and they are outgrowing the rest by a surprising amount they are quiet tall already the pic above of roots is one of them. Anyone have experience with these strains ?

Nice setup of strains man, things are looking good. How're you liking the rapid rooters? I started cloning with them but quickly progressed to dirt :D Getting better results so far, but I never did try seeds. Much helmet head?

miguelovic said:
Nice setup of strains man, things are looking good. How're you liking the rapid rooters? I started cloning with them but quickly progressed to dirt :D Getting better results so far, but I never did try seeds. Much helmet head?
Thanks! Oh I love the rooters, won't use anything else, There is some helmet head but I always plant 2 seeds per puck and the odds are good that one will pop without its cap. It really isn't that many but because they are in rooters they are easy to handle and Ive gotten good with fingernail clippers ;-) I also think but can't prove that soaking the seeds helps......

It is common in other plants I grow and I have carried the habit over, if you are refering to a presoak? or general higher moisture? Maybe I'll whip some out, still have half a bag here somewhere.

You can pop a corner off and fill the hole in, I've done it to keep stems snug, but I know I've seen it used to pull helmets. Although pepper seeds seem to have more difficulty shedding them, atleast the ones I've gotten above ground so far :)

Back