• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

A Learning Curve - Physics' 2014 Glog

So, gardening has become a new obssession of mine.  Wife and I did our first last year which consisted of Tomatos, Cucumbers, Green Beans, Squach, and Peppers.  I started researching about gardenting (mostly youtube) and stumbled across videos of chili heads testing these rare varieties of peppers.  I already liked a bit of spice in my food and had made some hot sauces of sorts, so this year I wanted to try some of these "rare" varieties.  So here I am starting my garden for 2014 and am adding a large variety of peppers to my grow. 

My last garden mostly consisted of getting plants from lowes and transferring them into some garden beds that I had made.  This year I'm getting an early start and starting from seed.  I'm quite new to gardening and I figure the best way to get critisism about my process is to start a Glog and let everyone watch & comment on what I'm doing. 

I'll start with the new garden beds that I made.

12821225485_946c10a062_z.jpg

The large one is going to be peppers only.  It's 10' x 5' and I plan to plant 15 plants in it.  The soil that I've loaded into it might not be optimal, but it worked really well last year.  My parents have a horse farm, and I loaded up a bunch of decomposed manuer and dumped it in.  The manuer is a combination of shavings, horse poop/pee, and straw.  I'm not sure the advantages/disadvantages of using this as the base of my soil, so If anyone has advice, I'm all ears.  I will sprinkle a few bags of garden soil on top too, and have entertained the idea of mixing in sand.  I also didn't use any fertilizers last year, and plan to change that.  I'm pretty sure this "soil" is pretty dense in some types of nutrients, so not sure what would best compliment it.

P.S.  I'm really digging this website by the way.  Seems like a good site and I'm looking forward to being a part of this community.

I would add a few bales of peat moss to that and some garden soil and wood chips. other than looks like you're off to a good start and also nice looking beds

even tho it's in a raised bed, i'd still add some perlite to it...  since it already has fertilizers in it, ala horse poop, id prolly not add too much more, maybe.

If you are familiar with square foot gardening give it a peek. Technically in at true 10' x 5' you could get 50 plants. :) 

This was a 4' x 4' with 16 plants.

857363_650836691616727_1714401338_o.jpg

Welcome and great start, best of luck.

I was born where you live, Riverside hospital. ;)

JoynersHotPeppers said:
If you are familiar with square foot gardening give it a peek. Technically in at true 10' x 5' you could get 50 plants. :)

Yeah, I experimented with that last year, but soon leaned I like things spaced out and more easily accesible.

queequeg152 said:
good job with that bed, it looks excellent.

are you a tradesman or w/e?

Not a tradesman by profession, but recently have been experimenting with building things myself.  Pretty happy with how these beds turned out.  Can sit on them and reach in easily instead of being on hands and knees.

i asked because, for an 'amateur' ( by that i mean non carpenter etc.) , they look fantastic, much better than anything i could pull off.

is this pressure treated? or does that not jive with plants? tbh i had not considered the effects of pressure treated wood on plants till now.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
What is your layout for 15 plants in the 10' x 5'?

Planning to do 3 rows of 5.  I'll throw up my list of plants here soon.

queequeg152 said:
i asked because, for an 'amateur' ( by that i mean non carpenter etc.) , they look fantastic, much better than anything i could pull off.

is this pressure treated? or does that not jive with plants? tbh i had not considered the effects of pressure treated wood on plants till now.

It is pressure treated.  From what I've read, it's not harmful to the plants.  The bed design is really a lot simpler than it looks.  I could give you some instruction how to build one if you wanted.

Physics202 said:
It is pressure treated.  From what I've read, it's not harmful to the plants.  The bed design is really a lot simpler than it looks.  I could give you some instruction how to build one if you wanted.

I think several of us would like those instructions.  I agree with jojo, some perlite would probably go well in there.  Check out PepperGuru if you haven't already, he has some mixes that he plays around with and posts the recipes to.  He has amazing results with peppers.

yea, while i dont have the room for a raised bed, id love to take a peek at what you did here... did you take any pics prior to filling them up?

queequeg152 said:
yea, while i dont have the room for a raised bed, id love to take a peek at what you did here... did you take any pics prior to filling them up?

Here's one other picture I took before it was filled
13060707153_b5d5135d08.jpg

chsy83 said:

I think several of us would like those instructions.  I agree with jojo, some perlite would probably go well in there.  Check out PepperGuru if you haven't already, he has some mixes that he plays around with and posts the recipes to.  He has amazing results with peppers.

To Build, I used 4 x 4's, 5/4 x 6's (Deck Lumber), and some old 2 x 6's (these could be replaced by more 4x4s)
For this bed, I layed out 3 of the 5/4 x 6's and measured them (approx 18inches), and cut 2 4x4 sections to match.  I then screwed the 3 boards into the 4x4, where each 4x4 was at the edge of the 5/4 x 6's.  I basically did this 4 times and that created the bed walling.  Here's a link to a picture where someone else did the same thing.
http://img4.sunset.com/i/2006/03/raised-bed-main-x.jpg?500:500

I then added some reinforcement to the walls using the 2 x 6's.  I just cut them in lengths that matched the 4 x 4's and screwed them into the inner sides of the walls.  You can somewhat see them in the picture I posted above.

Now the bed is built and nice and steardy.  To add the top "sitting" section, you take another 5/4 x 6, and cut a 45 degree angle into the corner of each side.  I used a carpenters square to make my 45 degree line, and a circular saw to make my cuts, although you can also use a jigsaw or just hack away with a hand saw.  With the 45 degree cuts made, you just place them on top and screw them down.  The side reinforcements you added earlier, also add strength to support body weight when sitting on the ledge.  I also stained the outside to make it more visually appealing, although it's not very dark.

I see a lot of people post food to thier Glogs, so I'm joining on that badwagon too.  This is something you call a fattie in the world of BBQ.

Start out with a bacon weave
13060395755_2c68db3fbb.jpg

Then take a tube of breakfast sausage and flatten it out
13060710754_bc2ae33c0b.jpg

Add any ingredients you like.  In this one there's mozorella, jalapenos, and black olives
13060707904_897ac96fcf.jpg

Roll it up and dose it with your favorite dry rub or pepper powder.
13060510163_937e4ab457.jpg

Wrap the bacon weave around it
13060507653_1f9ba05344.jpg

Fire up the smoker with your favorite wood.  Today I used pecan and white oak.
13060699474_855590d5dd.jpg

And smoke it for about 2 hours at 250ish.  No need to worry about overcooking it too as there's plenty of fat to keep this thing moist.
13060369995_d5862bbb68.jpg

One thing I do not recommend is putting this over direct heat without anything to catch the drippings, else fire will ensue quite quick... Also, use wax paper to lay out your bacon and sausage, and use to paper to roll it,  don't try to roll it by hand.

13062248315_869e9bf8ff.jpg
13062366903_bb275495ce.jpg

Question.  I have some of my first seeds sprouting.  I transfered them from peat moss plug to a solo cup with some potting mix and have them under some T5 lights.  It is also super nice outside, 70's and not a cloud in the sky.  Is the natural sunlight more beneficial to them than the T5 light?

imo let them establish... get them going with a few sets of laves, then do what ever you want.

there is no one way to do things, you are going to find this out as you get more comfortable growing.  personally i cant be bothered moving them in then outside then inside then outside... ill just keep them under lights if theres any cold coming within like... 72 hours or so. otherwise yea ill leave them outside. 

Sunlight is much more intense than the florescent bulbs. If the plants aren't used to it, you will burn their leaves leaving them in the sun too long. You have to introduce them gradually to it over a couple/few weeks.

Here's what I have seeded up

Prik chi faa
Savannah 7 pot
Fatalii
Pasilla Bajio
Scotch Bonnet
Choc Hab
Spicy Mustard Hab
White Hab
Cayenne
Fresno Jalapeno
Aconcagua
Tabasco
Golden Marconi  (Sweet)
Chinese Giant  (Sweet)
Jalora (Jalapeno Hybrid)
Bhut Jalokia
Carolina Reaper
Biker Billy Jalapeno
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion
Ivory Bell (Sweet)
Choc Fatalii
Bananna
Pimenta de Nyde X Bhut
Choc Bell (Sweet)

It's been 11 days so far, and I have 7 sprouts.  I planted 3 seeds of each, but only have room for 15, maybe 18 plants, so some will be given away.  First one to pop up was Jay's Peach, also have white hab, jalora, bannana, and biker billy sprouts.
13093073564_af97d7c6f2.jpg
13092810755_af97981bc5.jpg

Looking great man!

In regards to the soil, how long has the manure decomposed? Got to make sure it isn't hot. Also, I'd consider adding some pine bark to the mix... Provides great drainage and may soften the fertilizer density a little. Perlite has a similar effect.

BBQ log looks decadent. I can feel my arteries clogging!

Happy growin!

Back