• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

heat Newbie question about heat

I just started making my own hot sauces about a month ago and after 4 different attemps I have finally created a sauce that is both flavorful and hot using my own trial and error recipe.

I am currently using Habanero and Bhut Jolokia and I've noticed that neither give an initial heat or at least I have been unable to make them do it.

What are some methods that can give my sauce instant heat gratification along with the extended heat that I seem to get from the Bhut?

yeah different peppers all have different heat, that slow burn back of the throat, vs quick mouth burn etc

you can watch lots of nigels videos research what peppers fit best.
if there is a listing(table) of peppers by heat category / burn type i'm unaware of it..

i'm sure someone will chime in here soon

OKGrowin said:
yeah different peppers all have different heat, that slow burn back of the throat, vs quick mouth burn etc

you can watch lots of nigels videos research what peppers fit best.
if there is a listing(table) of peppers by heat category / burn type i'm unaware of it..

i'm sure someone will chime in here soon

Thank you for posting the link. That's going in my favorites!

I made a sauce last year with the remainder of my cayennes which didnt ripen (green) and a handful of jalapenos.  I didnt have a lot, and had even less after putting it through the food mill.  So I took all the pulp and seeds out of the mill, threw it in a pot with a half bottle of white wine and boiled at a simmer.  Alcohol is one of the things that capsaicins are soluble in, so it helped draw more out of the pulp and seeds.  The alcohol then evaporates off.  Again through the mill, and I then had a good amount more fluid for my sauce.  Cayennes and jalapenos arent hot to begin with, but the method should apply to any pepper.

And as a side note, the reduced white wine added in helped give it a nice flavor.

I made a great sauce last year. It was pretty simple - onions, peppers, vinegar, turmeric, white wine. I used jalapinos, cherry hots scotch bonnets and habaneros. The peppers themselves are not that hot but as Heisenberg suggested, the wine did make a difference (I had tried without the wine once before). Also I used quite a bit of Canadian garlic. A good garlic is very important I find. The crap you buy at Walmart has no burn. The heat was a nice upfront sting that faded fast. I would call it a garlic habanero sauce.

Are you looking to make a sauce to put on sandwiches and stuff or a sauce to use in cooking?

I find that making sauce with the super hots gives a great, building and lingering heat but it is difficult to control the flavor. Often it's just hot!

Back