• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Give me your best hot sauce recipe!!!

I made my first hot sauce the other day and I thought it was great. It was basically a basic chipotle/vinegar sauce with a few other ingredients. Not bad, but.... I want everyone's recipe when they make their own! I know I can search and find them buy why not just ask a bunch of chiliheads what they like best?! I have only been to wal mart to search for peppers and stuff and their stuff/selection stinks. But we have much better places here for stuff I just haven't bothered. I don't care what kind, habanero, chipotle, cayenne,whatever...i'll try them all!!

You may be thinking why not just use the stuff on my shelves...but some might understand what it is like to make your own, plus fresh is very good! I am not trying to steal the secret recipes though of those of you that produce hot sauces :) You can PM them to me or just post them for others to see
So bring it on!

Picante

Well, seriously, if you want a good recipe, do what we all did, experiment until you come up with something awesome. There are plenty of recipes and formulas on the net to get started, just view over a bunch of them, and take out the parts of each which peak your interest, throw on your lab coat, and head to the kitchen. Sometimes finding the answer yourself is much more fulfilling, knowing you alone created something you think others will enjoy as much as you. It took me years of tweaking to come up with the stuff I make...Believe me, the first few years I came out with some stuff that dung beetles would run away from, but I stuck with it, and perfected it. Give it a whirl...If you need pointers along the way, there are plenty of people on this forum who would be more than willing to answer specific questions. Good luck.

Here's one I use all the time, since you used chipotles.
Smoke/roast jalapenos and/or serranos till "roasty" (slightly blackened) and soft. I use mesquite, but use whatever you like. Puree chiles 3 to 1 with fresh garlic. Add enough vinegar (5%) to make it like a thin catsup and a little salt and cumin. If you want it to keep longer check ph, add vinegar as needed for that and boil it before jarring it up. I usually just keep it in the fridge, it doesn't last long. brookthecook

6 roasted habanero or fatilla peppers (reserve seeds and liquid inside peppers from roasting)
1/2 medium onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 Tbsp lime juice
1 Tbsp honey
1/3 cup rum or tequila
2 Tbsp linseed, sesame, or avocado oil
1 Tbsp white or brown sugar

Sautee drained peppers, onion, sugar, and carrot in oil until onion is translucent.

Combine all ingredients (including pepper liquid and seeds) in a food processor and blend until smooth. Do not overblend or incorporate a lot of air. Pour into a saucepan and bring to a slow boil and simmer for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool. Add a little rum, lime juice, or tequila and blend until desired consistency is reached.

I'm not allowed to make hot sauce, it's a breach of my contract. ;)

For my easy-peezy homemade salsa recipe:

I use fresh tomatoes in season, chopped canned tomatoes, drained, in the winter.

Since it's winter, here's what I made the other day.

1 large tin of chopped tomatoes, drained (I used a bottle of tomatoes we'd picked up in the Bahamas -- good luck getting those)
Juice of 1 Persian lime
2 oz 100% blue agave tequila (I used Viuda de Romero)
4 cloves garlic minced
1 medium sized onion, chopped
1 tbsp Peppermaster Seafood Rub
2 fresh goat peppers, (any habanero will substitute quite well) minced
4 jalapenos (none fresh, I used pickled)
dash of Dave's Habanero to taste -- I used about a teaspoon.

Mix gently, leave rest in the fridge until ready to serve. Then serve with tortilla chips -- Fresh homemade are best, but I used Tostito brand.

I made this the day before our dinner party and it was exceptional. The peppers and th

T

Back