• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Coffee Bean seeds germination

Anybody had luck germinating coffee tree seeds?  I hear they take a while and can be difficult. I just ordered a pack of ten and will see what happens. Any tips? Thanks!

Yes, I`ve done it in the past. Not very good germination rates, but I had 3 plants from 12-14 seeds. They struggled up to about 3 feet tall from Feb thru Oct, looked like crap, then died as the temps dropped below 70°. They are too tropical for San Diego, at least in my hands. 

Good to know. I will plant all ten seeds then. I could try it indoors I guess.

Proud Marine Dad said:
Unless you are in Hawaii or South America good luck growing coffee. :lol:
Are you saying I will need to provide a more humid environment for it if Im up north, even when grown indoors?

Mojorizen said:
Good to know. I will plant all ten seeds then. I could try it indoors I guess.

Are you saying I will need to provide a more humid environment for it if Im up north, even when grown indoors?
I'm saying you can't grow coffee in North America as we don't have the high elevation and proper temperatures here to grow it If you are planning on having coffee beans that is.

Proud Marine Dad said:
I'm saying you can't grow coffee in North America as we don't have the high elevation and proper temperatures here to grow it If you are planning on having coffee beans that is.

Don't they grow De-Caf in like Michigan?

texas blues said:

Don't they grow De-Caf in like Michigan?
Decaf is a process bro not a type of bean. ;)
Mojorizen said:
Well doing some reading online confirms your opinion Proud Marine Dad. A hard plant to grow I guess. Well I already ordered seeds, so I will try, but will keep my expectations low. Thanks for the input.
Glad I could help. I work for the largest green coffee storage facility in the U.S. We have over 500,000 bags of coffee in 134-152 lb. burlap bags from all over the world. :)

If coffee were grow-able here in the states people would be doing it big time as coffee is BIG money!
A 12 oz. bag of Peet's Coffee is $10-12 on sale in stores here. They are getting it for maybe $3-4 a pound if not less! :banghead:

Proud Marine Dad said:
Mexico is located in North America and happens to be one of the top ten producers in the world.
I don't care for the stuff myself but have heard Hawaii has some decent stuff for those that like it.

HopsNBarley said:
Mexico is located in North America and happens to be one of the top ten producers in the world.
I don't care for the stuff myself but have heard Hawaii has some decent stuff for those that like it.
Not counting Mexico. :P
Hawaiian Kona is good but the best stuff is from Jamaica mon. ;)

Back