• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Gas Exchange under Different Light Conditions

I thought I would share this study from the Journal of Agricultural Science which looked into the effect of light intensity on gas exchange, chlorophyll production, and fruit yield of a particular capsicum chinense cultivar.  

Abstract:

Plants in the tropics are exposed to high radiation and consequently high temperature and evaporative demands 
throughout the year. Under these conditions, physiological processes and final yield may negatively affect crops. 
Responses of C. chinense to different light conditions were evaluated in open-field conditions. Two experiments 
were performed: In the first trial, C. chinense plants were grown under Passiflora edulis shade and under full 
sunlight. In the second, three light conditions (60 %, 40% and full sunlight) were assayed employing synthetic 
meshes. Microclimate measurements and gas exchange characteristics were evaluated. Partial shade resulted in 
lower VPD. Shade plants exhibited lower mean daily and total CO2 assimilation rates compared to full sunlight 
plants. Partial shade induced lower stomatal aperture, regulated by light intensity; while the influence of VPD on 
stomata closure was less pronounced. The acclimation of sweet pepper to shade conditions was evident by lower 
chlorophyll Chl a/b concentrations.

Here's a link to the PDF
http://www.ccsenet.org/journal/index.php/jas/article/download/8226/8520

This topic is of particular interest to me as a high altitude (5,200  ft / 1600m), and thus high light intensity, gardener.   I'm currently trying to choose a location for my greenhouse, and I have two options:  On the south side of my (rather small) yard, there is direct, unfiltered sunlight for about 10 hours per day in the summer.   On the north side, light is filtered through tree branches for an additional 2 hours in the morning, and 2 hours in the evening.   I'm also considering the idea of trellising beans or cucumbers on the south side of the greenhouse in order to create non-homogeneous shading.  Since I'm unable and unwilling to analyze my plants to the extent that Mr. Jaimez did in this study, I wondered if the THP community had any suggestions from their experience growing in full sun vs. partial shade.   Btw, all of my peppers are chinenses, and I live in northern Colorado.

-Smallzi

Back