• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trent's 2014 Grow Log - COLD COLD COLD

Figure I'll keep track 2014 on here. At least then all my data will be in one place instead of scattered around on slips of paper.

First; PSA.

I'll *never* use the Jiffy starting pods / soil again.

I lost 95% of the plants in these two trays:

bNZv4wLh.jpg

The roots wouldn't form. They couldn't get any nutrients out of the soil, whatsoever, and tried to suck what they could from the layers of paper. 

Burpee trays with compressed peat were planted 3 weeks later and within 3 weeks were quadruple in size.

Finished transplanting all sprouts on Saturday (4-5-2014).

HZ99VoLh.jpg

xStYBqlh.jpg

I might lose a couple transplants but here's the current count (all in 3" paper cups)

7 pod Barrackpore - qty 6
7 pod Brain Strain, Yellow - qty 5 
7 pod Brain Strain, Red - qty 11
7 pod Chaguanas - qty 7
7-pod Jonah - qty 4
7-pod Long - qty 11
7-pod Original Red - qty 7
7-pod Primo - Qty 3

Bhut Jolokia (brown) - Qty 2
Bhut Jolokia (indian carbon) - qty 6
Bhut Jolokia (red) - qty 9
Bhut Jolokia (yellow) - qty 7
Bhut Jolokia (white) - qty 6

Brown Moruga - qty 6

Carolina reaper - qty 23

Cayenne (Sweet) - qty 3
Cayenne (large) - qty 6
Chili de Abrol - qty 10

True Cumari - qty 1

Datil - qty 3

Dedo De Moca - qty 3

Dorset Naga - qty 3

Fatali, Yellow - qty 4

Giant mexican Rocoto - qty 4

Goats weed - qty 3

Habanero (big sun) - qty 8
Habanero (chocolate) - all died / no sprouts
Habanero (orange) - qty 4

Jalapeno (black) - qty 8 
Jalapeno (early) - qty 14
Jalapeno (giant) - qty 15

Mako Akokosrade - qty 3

Naga Morich (orig) - qty 6
Naga Morich (monster naga) - qty 3
Naga morich (bombay morich) - qty 6

Pimenta de Neyde - qty 3

Tobago (seasoning) - all died

Tobago Scotch Bonnet (red) - qty 3
Tobago Scotch Bonnet (yellow) - qty 5

Trinidad Scorpion (butch T) - qty 8
Trinidad Scorpion (Cardi) - qty 4
Trinidad scorpion (douglah) - qty 3
Trinidad scorpion Moruga - qty 7
Trinidad scorpion (orig) - qty 3
Trinidad scorpion (PI 281317) - qty 3
Trinidad Scorpion (smooth) - qty 1
Trinidad Scorpion (yellow) - qty 4

PI 281429 - qty 1

surviving overwinters in large pots:

7-Pod (orig) - qty 1
Bhut Jolokia (red) - qty 2
Bhut Jolokia (giant) - qty 1
Yellow Bhut jolokia - qty 2
Carolina Reaper - qty 4
Cayenne - qty 1
habanero (golden) - qty 3
habanero (tazmanian) - qty 3
Naga morich - qty 1
naga Viper - qty 2
Trinidad Scorpion - qty 1
Butch-T Trinidad - qty 2
Trinidad scorpion moruga - qty 3
Yatsufusa - qty 1
Scotch Bonnet (red) - qty 1 (sole 2012 survivor)

Total 3" pot transplants: 264
Total overwinters surviving: 28

Jeff H said:

I just wanted to let you know that your weather finally made it to Ohio last night. Thanks for that. :D

My wife who wasn't paying any attention to the forecast looks out the window last night and sees the trees getting pummeled by the wind as the front approached. She looked at me bewildered: " are we supposed to get some rain?" I replied: "no dear, the severe thunderstorm warning and the tornado watch were just issued for no good reason."

LOL! 

MAN it is chilly today. I went outside to talk on the phone for a bit, in shorts and a T-Shirt, and started shivering.

My pepper plants look droopy today.

HillBilly Jeff said:
I went outside at work and thought for sure it would start snowing.  This is late October weather.

Yes, it is. I had to come back in and put on a jacket, it was so cold. Grabbed a cup of coffee midway through the pick tonight. Picked from 4:30 through full dark. Only got halfway done. Huge haul this time.

Devv said:
I hope the weather is nice to all of you!

No, it sucks. I'm getting leaf and pod drop. Most of the pods I pulled tonight when I was out picking came off WAY too damn easy.

On the flip side those pods are HOT.

I just ate one of my "not 7-pod barrackpore" and my god, that was quite possibly the hottest thing I'd ever put in my mouth. It's on the scale of brain strain, reaper, moruga scorpion. It was grown from a 7-pot barrackpore seed from Judy but this one plant, it put out funky brain-strain looking pods.

Anyway it was like swallowing straight pepper spray. Bitter, brutally hot, that sort of hot that is beyond tolerable. I spit the pod out after chewing for about 10 seconds but the damage was done.

I'm suffering right now.

Some dirt crop pics while I was "under the canopy" tonight

4wxXZxkh.jpg

cIfNb7jh.jpg

No fancy setup this time, was too damn cold, and sore, to mess with it. Just pods in bags. Bleh.

6ZVtXx0h.jpg

From one plant... a gallon of 7-pod longs.

c44mhUUh.jpg

From two plants, a gallon of 7-pod Chaguanas.

ru9XsOoh.jpg

Both of those are MONSTER producers.

How much powder will 2 gallons of frozen cayenne make once dehydrated?

About 3/4 of a pint.

pc6DbiYh.jpg

Reloading; 5 trays of 7-pots (2 gallons) and one tray of misc cayenne.

tGfOJcXh.jpg

Packed it tight, going to take a few days to dry...

f2WrHtqh.jpg

Good luck tonight Trent,get thru it and things may stabilize for a little while.I picked and plan on spraying in the early hours.Best growing season in years,I hate seeing all the pods that still need to ripen.

kgetpeppers said:
Least humidity is down for drying haha

YES!!! FINALLY!

It took 4 days on 110F to dry those damn cayenne out!

At that rate I'd still be drying what I have picked by NEXT harvest! :)

I don't like running it any hotter because it hurts the flavor.

randyp said:
      Good luck tonight Trent,get thru it and things may stabilize for a little while.I picked and plan on spraying in the early hours.Best growing season in years,I hate seeing all the pods that still need to ripen.

Yeah I've already got some pods on the ground from last night's cold.

Leaves seem to be hanging on pretty good though. 

I was GOING to go pick more pods today but if I so much as *brush* against a leaf, it falls off!

VERY fragile plants right now!

So ... I'll wait until it warms back up again before wading through them. :)

Got plenty picked last night, more than enough to keep me busy tonight anyway.

Pod review.

"Not Orange Habanero"

These must have been an accidental cross - seeds from Judy; one of only 2 seeds from 200+ plants that didn't grow true to form. (REALLY good seed supplier.. damn)

This pod is hab shaped, but DARK brown and has a "trinidad-scorpion-esque" thick tail.

ZBs6B5wh.jpg

Cutting it open reveals a very dark through-and-through colorization, a monster placenta, very dense, thick walls, and POOLS of oil.

The fragrance resembles a trinidad scorpion but it's not "quite right" for that.. it has a very unique, "off-trinidad scorpion" odor."

bbUdjaCh.jpg

Sample size:

gE0RFDah.jpg

First impression was "WOW That is really sweet tasting."

Citrus tasting, like a really good habanero. But there's also a tint of something more sinister, more pepper-spray happening. 

No heat right away.  I chewed for 15 seconds and spit it out (empty stomach right now...NOT going there...)

30 seconds later, OMFG OMFG OMFG THAT HURTS OW OW OW OW OW.

Heat was intense on the tip and sides of tongue, roof of mouth, back of throat. 

It's up there with a Doughlah, and really makes me think "this is what crossing a Douglah and a Habanero must be like..."

REALLY good pod. I'm definitely going to try to grow another generation of this!!!!!!

ETA: I can't FATHOM how hot that placenta is but I'm not going there on an empty stomach.

The entire plant hasn't grown true; it's consistently putting out those pods.

Better yet - it's in a 5 gal cloth pot so overwintering and getting isolated pods should be easy-peasey. :)

It has "NOT habanero" leaves on it too. Monster big shade leaves. It's a really warped looking plant. :)

If anyone recognizes this let me know, so I can rule out a seed of a "known variety" getting knocked in to the Orange Habanero packet....

pheno examples;

ZBs6B5wh.jpg

pod internals;

bbUdjaCh.jpg

If it's a novel species, I'm definitely growing it out a few more generations!!!!

Regardless of the weather, it sure seems like you're in pod overflow mode.

Just tons of pods and powder there!

A sprinkler setup tonight will keep those gals alive, even if it freezes, just leave it on until the ice melts, if that happens.

I would guess those are choc scorp crosses,but that;'s just a guess ;)

Oh yeah I'm swamped with pods, Devv. And my list of people to send free stuff to is running out.. deep freeze is packed.. in a few weeks I"m going to be in real trouble with where to PUT all of them.

It shouldn't hit freezing tonight; Low of 41 is projected.

That means I can expect some leaf and pod drop, but the plants SHOULD live. 

If anyone wants some pods... lemme know... lol.

Trent,

I gave my overflow to a restaurant, like 10 or 15 gallons. He made some killer HOT salsa which I got 3 quarts of, and a few free lunches, beer included. I also shared with our custodial crew. Got to hear some funny stories about the ones who ate the supers. "Her face turned beet red" LOL

Thanks for the pod offers, but I'm loaded ;)

Nice chocolate pod there Trent. Must be the year of the chocolates. My naga morich from Judy and your hab. Judy must have chocolate in her veins this year. Mine is a great pepper and yours sounds like it is too.

Judy says it sounds like I got a Black Trinidad Congo. 

So no new mutant strain for me. :)

Damn things are tasty though, I think I'll put them on my list for next year's grow.

Back