• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Tomatillos Verde y Morado

I've never grown Tomatillo but I've heard of it. I dont want to sound like an idiot but I've never seen it in the UK. Whats is it used for? Is it like a tomato?

Adam, think "green tomato". Used a lot in Mexican sauces/cooking. Google it, or better yet, go to youtube and search "tomatillo sauce"..."tomatillo salsa".

Adam said:
I've never grown Tomatillo but I've heard of it. I dont want to sound like an idiot but I've never seen it in the UK. Whats is it used for? Is it like a tomato?
Yeah you can use them in making salsa, I have never grown the purple ones before but I have heard they are kind of sweet.

How would one make a chile/salsa verde without tomatillos?

Green and purple . . . very good, and you might want to look into tomatillos de milpa, aka, milpero, too.  Milperos are smaller and possibly tastier than the other varieties; I find the milperos both sweet and tart and very edible raw . . . not too far off, maybe, from a fresh, subtlety flavoured plum.

As much as I like tomatillos, flea beetles like the plants even better.

2rm6pmp.jpg

Fortunately, adult plants seem to be able to endure the abuse.

Be sure to have at least two plants: tomatillos are said to unable to self-pollinate.  (I counted 23 seedlings this evening, so maybe there'll be enough for me and the bugs.)

11bkfbp.jpg

Purple basil, tomatillos de milpa, and Peruvian purple chiles

swellcat said:
How would one make a chile/salsa verde without tomatillos?

Green and purple . . . very good, and you might want to look into tomatillos de milpa, aka, milpero, too.  Milperos are smaller and possibly tastier than the other varieties; I find the milperos both sweet and tart and very edible raw . . . not too far off, maybe, from a fresh, subtlety flavoured plum.

As much as I like tomatillos, flea beetles like the plants even better.

2rm6pmp.jpg

Fortunately, adult plants seem to be able to endure the abuse.

Be sure to have at least two plants: tomatillos are said to unable to self-pollinate.  (I counted 23 seedlings this evening, so maybe there'll be enough for me and the bugs.)

11bkfbp.jpg

Purple basil, tomatillos de milpa, and Peruvian purple chiles

wow thank you for suggestion, I need to buy some  tomatillos de milpa to try now, I have never even heard of them! how exciting. they look very pretty also.

Back