• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Rocoto leaves turn down

Hi,

All the pubescent plants I put outside exhibit this problem. The leaves are curled down and really close to the "body" of the plant, like it's trying to take as little a space as possible.

I will post a picture tomorrow when there will be more light. Imagine a plant with droopy leaves from underwatering, but even more (leaves not pointing down, but rather slightly in)... and they are hard, not soft like droopy leaves. 

I think it maybe from the wind? The plant trying to take up less surface for the wind to blow it? Or from the light (too much light - although it isn't sunburnt at all). I don't think it's over watering or a nutrient burn/def, as the plants look healthy otherwise.

I have several other pepper plants out in the same conditions that look normal/healthy. Only (all) the pubescens act like that.

Maybe someone with more experience in growing this variety can help me out?

Thanks!

edit: Before getting the plants out, I had them all under a 250W HPS. If I remember corectly, sometimes, at the end of the light cycle, some plants looked close to what I am describing above, but they all recovered by next morning.

I you did not properly harden them off they will be very unhappy kinda like what you described .  :rolleyes: You may want to ease them into their new environment.

i have to agree with romy. i have a few years experiance with pubes of the manzano variety. mine are coming
out from under a 400mh at about 12" tall and are taking over 10 days to harden off currently. and when they are not
happy from to much direct sun they do the same as what you describe.

thanks okg i needed that, i laughed so hard i got misty.

Reactions: ebh
hogleg said:
i have to agree with romy. i have a few years experiance with pubes of the manzano variety. mine are coming
out from under a 400mh at about 12" tall and are taking over 10 days to harden off currently. and when they are not
happy from to much direct sun they do the same as what you describe.

thanks okg i needed that, i laughed so hard i got misty.

Thanks for the answer. The weather is pretty cold and rainy at the moment, so no way of direct sun light, but for the last few days they got some sun now and then (the weather wasn't very friendly since they were out).

I'm growing 7 Pubescens plants this season.  I have them placed strategically to get either only morning sun or some afternoon sun.  Even so, they "turn down" as you describe.  However, as soon as the sun moves and the plants go to indirect sun, they rebound fairly quickly.

It was kind of painful to watch at first but they seem to do well.

It makes me think that they live under the canopies of larger trees in their natural environment.

Bob_B said:

It makes me think that they live under the canopies of larger trees in their natural environment.

That is certainly what I have read about them. I have a nice spot for 6 of mine that will get afternoon filtered shade from a tree. They should be happy there.

Jamison said:
To me it seems as if they just grow like that.
+1

The all grow differently. Some have more hair,different shaped leaves,lanky growth,etc.

The leaves on some have an almost plastic texture,like a fake plant. My canario plants are stacking up like a chinense and similar leaf shape,intermediate pubescence.

Back