• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Starting a Garden

I realize I'm getting started on this late and the growing season isn't really that long around SD, but... I'm doing it! I finally own my own place and have a yard that I can use to create a garden! I picked out a spot next to my shed (shed is West of garden).

This year, I'm going to grow:
(nobody cares) Carrots, Watermelon, Striped Roman Tomatoes, Ananas Noire Tomatoes
(THP cares) Scorpions (Butch T.), Yellow Fatalii, Choc. Hab.

Ek8ytsF.jpg

I'm just getting started. The green paint is the outline. You can already see the grass starting to kick the bucket. Once the grass is dead (2wk), I'll flip the sod over, break it up, add a lot of poopy dirt, and lastly, start planting!

I'm, of course, going to keep updates. Wish me luck! I need it considering how late I'm starting.

There's nothing like the feeling of turning a useless patch of lawn into the beautiful slice of heaven that is a garden! Good luck!

Ha! ( I don't believe in luck. ) Persistent work, however, will pay off! If you have seeds, I'd recommend you start germinating them now - before the garden is ready. If you're starting from plants, though, you will be that much better off. I live in N.E. Ohio, and it's definitely got a short growing season, though some production will occur with most chile plants. I grow mine in pots in order to extend the ripening time by bringing them indoors.

Best wishes with your grow!

Congrats on owning your own place! Sounds like a nice grow. Agree with Punchy on the melons too. Those things can get crazy. Best of luck for the season!

Back