• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

What happened to this Tomato plant ?

It get the same treatment as all my other plants and has been wilted like this for 2 days now. Any ideas ?

Attachments

• bad plant.jpg
    bad plant.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 58
root rot?  did the roots get damaged in some other way? knocked over, transplanted etc. 

never actually killed a tom myself, they are pretty damn hardy. must be a disease if it was not physically messed with.

queequeg152 said:
root rot?  did the roots get damaged in some other way? knocked over, transplanted etc. 

never actually killed a tom myself, they are pretty damn hardy. must be a disease if it was not physically messed with.
if it has root rot is it a goner ? also how would I check for that with it in the ground ? 

I planted it 4 weeks ago with all my other tomatoes on this side of my yard. It was about a foot tall when I first planted it.

Wilt diseases are also possible. Last few storms toasted all my tomato plants and they are loaded with the bacteria virus now and were all blown over twice. 

sp33d said:
I would suspect bacterial wilt disease.... Did this happen all of a sudden oor gradually?
it happened 2 days ago and this is my only plant that is wilted like this. I've had a couple pepper plants wilt from heat and then watering them in the evening they come right back to life and perk right up.

I agree with Kent - remove the plant and throw it into a large plastic bag so it won't infect anything this year or next.

SavinaRed said:
if it has root rot is it a goner ? also how would I check for that with it in the ground ? 

I planted it 4 weeks ago with all my other tomatoes on this side of my yard. It was about a foot tall when I first planted it.

pretty much yea.

have you  been getting alot of rain?

root rot, can be any number of things... poor drainage/ too much water encourages growth of fungus etc. poor soil aeration can also cause bacterial problems with that come along with anaerobic soils.  you can even get nematode infestations that will do this.

i suppose if you were curious, pull out the plant, and look at the root system.  i imagine it would be obivious weather or not the roots were rotting, or otherwise damaged.

root knot nematodes will leave little nodules on the roots, so look for that, tho i don't think its common in california?

i dont have alot of experiance with root rot, etc. as i have said, but i would recommend, in the future aerating your soil better, as improved drainage will only help.  probably should let your soil dry out a bit more...but idk what your conditions are tbh.

queequeg152 said:

pretty much yea.

have you  been getting alot of rain?

root rot, can be any number of things... poor drainage/ too much water encourages growth of fungus etc. poor soil aeration can also cause bacterial problems with that come along with anaerobic soils.  you can even get nematode infestations that will do this.

i suppose if you were curious, pull out the plant, and look at the root system.  i imagine it would be obivious weather or not the roots were rotting, or otherwise damaged.

root knot nematodes will leave little nodules on the roots, so look for that, tho i don't think its common in california?

i dont have alot of experiance with root rot, etc. as i have said, but i would recommend, in the future aerating your soil better, as improved drainage will only help.  probably should let your soil dry out a bit more...but idk what your conditions are tbh.
ok thanks for the tips. next season I will work on creating better drainage 

queequeg152 said:

After further investigation and a second tomato plant with the same problem 2 days later I found the culprit. A Damn gopher got them. The war is on now and I'm going to kill that little bastage.

queequeg152 said:
lol did he gnaw the stem or something?
yes but under the soil which fooled me lol. This time I saw his little mound. I just transplanted 4 tomato plants and 1 pepper plant into containers in that area so it wouldn't get them. Now its a man with a mission to exterminate that nasty critter. That little bastage went under the fence from my neighbors house into my little strip along the adjacent fence to wreak havoc on my plants. Its all out war now..........................

root tor manifests itself on branches and not the whole plant at one time...or at least that is what I have experienced....the mechanism for root rot in that it is a bacterial infection is it works on the "circulatory system"....it stops up the arteries and when the arteries get stopped up, they provide no nutrients or water to that branch of the plant...

Yeah that happens to me as well but it's moles instead of gophers.  Some plants I lose and others I pile up a mound of dirt further up the stem and water it in really good hoping some new roots will get started and I have saved a few plants doing that.

Back