• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

stitched up some fabric pots

Finally knocked out 3 pots today and realized I didn't have enough soil to fill them all.  I think I might go ahead and replace the 15 gallon nursery pots that I'm using instead of making more 25s.  I've got exactly $25 and about an hours worth of time on the sewing machine into 1x20 gallon and 2x25 gallon pots.  I actually bought enough felt and thread for 8x25 gallon pots just because it was the end of the roll.  Joanns 40% off coupons worked out well.

I also managed to make a few quarts of hot sauce using 3 Bhut Jolokia and 1 of the Jays red ghost scorpion that dont look like Jays red ghost scorpion :)  The wife kept telling me not to put them all in and I did anyhow, now to let it cool and give it a final run through the processor tomorrow.

20140723_1846491_zpsc0c8ac4a.jpg

20140723_1223321_zps4af9ea24.jpg

20140723_1851591_zpsd762986c.jpg

KevinH said:
That's what I'll use all my scrap cordura on.
That would probably be a better option than the material I used.  I first thought about doubling the fabric over and decided to give a single layer a try.  You can move these around, actually stitched in a single nylon "drag" handle on the backside.  I went ahead and doubled the fabric under the strap to reinforce it.  I dont know how much moving pots like these will handle, assuming people like geopot use a different type of "eco felt" than what Joanns sells.

Now to get my hot sauce out, hope it picked up some heat.  It was hot last night, the kind that just keeps burning while you eat it vs. oh crap that was hot I dont want anymore.  I did pull the seeds to use for next year so that didn't help the heat factor much.

sp33d said:
Dude,I love those fabric pots.....
Thanks, I'm far from being versed on sewing.  My grandparents raised me and my grandmother always said, every man should know how to sew a little.  So anyone with a machine can obviously do this.

When I made the first 25 my intent was to make a 20.  I checked the measurements and thought, its only another inch on the on the diameter, I was already making them 18 inches tall.  So I cut my fabric 68 inches to allow for an inch lap on the seem and put me at 66 inches, good ole circle math.  After I finished it my first thought was, damn that's a big pot so I made the next one an inch smaller.  After looking at that one the third went back to 25 gallons :) 

I actually pulled one of my Bhuts that was already in a 15 and moved it up and I'm considering doing the same to one of my bigger reapers.   Any concerns with potting them up this late in the season?

I agree with your grandparents... as far as potting up I will let a pro answer that cause I'm not positive on the answer, I personally wouldn't pot up if it's not needed, but on the other hand if the plant is becoming root bound he no matter what time of season it is it needs to be potted up...

I also wondering with the blazing heat in Texas how you keep those black pots cool? I have the same type of general black pots and I noticed with direct sun the damn thing literally got to hot to touch so I wrapped them all with white shelf liner , no heat issues at all anymore...check my glog if you are interested in what I mean...

Edit. Here is an old photo so you don't have to search for my glog since it gets buried in all the posts ..

Fortunately with the location the pots are in I dont really get sun that shines on the sides of the pots.  I do have some reflectix radiant barrier that I want try on the pots yet along with some shade cloth that I need to put above them.  I've been monitoring temps using a compost thermometer and also checking the outside temps of my pots with my laser thermometer.

last pics.  I went ahead and double stitched the bottom and side seems and stitched in some bias tape/piping on the top to add a lip.  You can obviously see that my lines aren't professional seamstress quality but it works.

20140724_0934271_zps071f0b40.jpg
20140724_0933481_zps0210f916.jpg
20140724_0933341_zps8761db56.jpg

Back