• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Disease ID Help

Need help ID'ing this one.

I've confirmed it spreads by contact. Spots on leaves. Not 'nute related as it hit plants in completely different soil mixes.

BzBXC5jh.jpg

Stem shown (after pruning, noticed dark spots on the stems)

q9X3L3Zh.jpg

Don't know if it's relevant, but it started indoors on one Naga Morich plant during overwintering. It spread to a carolina reaper before the end of the indoor period.

Since they started growing up outdoors, it's hit 3 other overwinters that were in close proximity to each other outdoors. ALSO hit one of my dirt plants next to the pots (that's 6 total), but I ripped it out of the garden, potted it, and isolated it.

(Sure as hell didn't want this getting a foothold in my garden, where I have 90 plants all canopied together...)

One of the 5 overwinters that got it *only* got it on leaves where it was in direct contact with another infected plant's leaves, which is why I know it spreads by contact.

The dirt plant that got it was about 2' away from one of the potted plants that had it, no direct contact. So it spreads in proximity, too. (Carried by bees? Ants? Dunno)

All 6 are isolated from the rest of the plants right now.

cruzzfish said:
BLS I think. Use Copper and Mancozeb to fix it. And keep the plants dry.

Keeping plants dry has been VERY problematic this year. We've had more rain than sun. :(

... my garden, where I have 90 plants all canopied together...

In some areas there's no sure way to predict that you're in for a lot of rain but spacing the plants out more helps reduce soil surface moisture and bacterial growth, and as you noted, disease spreading from one plant to another.

It does look like you have late blight with the disease infecting both leaves and stem.  Cruzzfish has the correct treatment -" Copper and Mancozeb" to help curb the spread of the disease. 

I'd either cover the plant/isolate it/remove it.  The disease spreads by water and wind so work quickly.

Because of our continual rains in July, I've had to remove 2 tomato plants and 1 pepper so far.  Frustrating, I know.

catherinew said:
It does look like you have late blight with the disease infecting both leaves and stem.  Cruzzfish has the correct treatment -" Copper and Mancozeb" to help curb the spread of the disease. 

I'd either cover the plant/isolate it/remove it.  The disease spreads by water and wind so work quickly.

Because of our continual rains in July, I've had to remove 2 tomato plants and 1 pepper so far.  Frustrating, I know.
Just got back from there, freaking monsoons all week!

catherinew said:

I dunno about late blight. 

Two of these plants have had it now for > 7 months, and they're slightly stunted but still alive, putting on new growth, and producing OK. Just the leaves have those marks. It's systemic on those two - about 50% of the new growth gets the spots.

It is hard to tell in the photo but the colorization of the spots has a dark brown/ purplish hue to it. They do NOT turn necrotic (e.g. holes don't form in the leaves) - but the veins collapse where the dark is, and eventually the leaves fall off. Then more grow.. with spots... get to a certain size, and shed.. in a cycle.

Edit to add: regardless, if it's bacterial the treatment is the same. So it doesn't really matter. :)

Back