• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Chachie09's Indoor

Hey all, so i figured id start a GLOG to track the impending grow.  For now ill post up the details, with pics to follow in the next few days during the build of the cabinet.

Space:
2' x 2.5' x 5'
2 140mm fans exhausting
1 6x16 passive intake w/ soffit cover
24x30 wire rack 8" off deck w/ 24x30 drain pan on top

Lighting:
100W of LED
340W of 6500K CFL
84W of 2700K CFL
Lighting ran @ 16/8

The grow:
starting with 3 pepper plants in 2 gal pots, 1 goat horn, 1 5 color pepper, and 1 Trini Scorpion
I will also be adding different herbs as i go, depending on space

So there you have it, feel free to ask ?'s.  Pics will be uploaded in the next few days here.

Just collected some pollen from the Thai Dragon. Going to try a cross of Thai Dragon (M) and the Goat Horn (F) and visa versa. If it produces, I think it'll be called Dragon's Horn.

Everyone is getting so big!! Installed a 6" fan this weekend to help air flow and help with pollination as well.
Goat Horn
Shes still trucking right along. Ive noticed that the second node out from the first fork has twice the buds (literally 2 at each split), and the next has three. I have attempted a cross on this one, Thai dragon male to Hungarian Goat Horn female. Shes getting real thick!

• Canopy 
    xwMcsVX.jpg

• Manifold (mini bic for scale) 
    dF4kh9R.jpg

• Cross Flower 
    1FXZNCN.jpg

Thai Dragon
Dont think ive ever had a plant this bushy. She filled in extremely well, and is already producing pods! So apparently im doing something right. Also did a cross on this one, HGH male to TD male.

• Canopy 
    oSufFRF.jpg

• LST/Undergrowth 
    2xoBVsm.jpg

• First/biggest pod! 
    t0cZ5tH.jpg

Scorpion
Shes doing much better after a few weeks of pampering. Filling in very well after being LST'd. My timing on her transplant was much better than the others. She has not flowered yet and is sill pushing out new leaves.
  • Canopy 
    FjKSpi8.jpg

Good morning, and happy new year all!

Everything seems to be moving along well, both the Thai Dragon and the Hungarian Goat Horn are pushing out pods.  Been having a couple watering issues with the addition of the fan.  The humidity doesnt get above 40%ish, so things dry out very quickly.  I went from watering every three days to every other day.  But other than that, i need to introduce some flowering nutes, ive been feeding veg nutes still at 3/4 strength.  The lettuce got the axe and the catnip got cut waaaaaaay back to make room, and unfortunately, my boy's bean project may be next to go as the pepperoncini will need to move to a bigger home soon.  My Scorpion is still not 100% there.  Shes still producing very yellow new growth that then fades to dark green as it grows.  Also have some spotting on some of the leaves that has me puzzled (pics below).  On to the good stuff!!

One big happy family!

HYhYG19.jpg

My boy's bean project (Purple Pole Beans, my little guy wanted to be part of dad's garden :), so i got him set up with some pole beans as his first plant.)

NoNm2Aj.jpg

Scorpion

fcZcook.jpg

Mysterious spots.  Nute burn?

Z08M6fV.jpg

Scorpion manifold

Ha6DN10.jpg

Hungarian Goat Horn

R5G151g.jpg

My (hopefully) cross-pollinated pod!

JBm7Qbb.jpg

Dat Manifold....(reminds me of some old twisted tree)

Kt6Qiq7.jpg

Thai Dragon

LEacOnX.jpg

My baby pepperoncini

Ufo7Asf.jpg

And now....For my theory/plan for this summer's outdoor.  I am going to build on the grow style i have going here.  I am noticing a trend with the plants which is that the lower the branch is on the manifold, the better it produces.  Im thinking it has to do with what number in line the branch is coming up from the roots.  My thought is to do what i did here, but instead of branching out all tops, to cut down to two lateral branches, and then top those as well.  The theory here being that everything from the root system is split evenly, producing a completely symmetrical plant.  This is still probably a couple months in the making, but the pepperoncini will be the test plant.

Quick update, everybody is chugging right along.  Pepperoncini got repotted up to a 2 gal and a heavy watering with some big bloom.  Question, everybody is switching to flowering nutes the next time around here, will it hurt the pepperoncini to just giver her bloom nutes instead of veg?  Scorpion has her first flowers, shes turning into a beast of a plant.

Hungarian Goat Horn

xCxzhi5.jpg

cW8jTCs.jpg

MMIqqaI.jpg

Thai Dragon

WuDaJ6D.jpg

ZoILqJI.jpg

eO1Gz8f.jpg

Scorpion

BrCVFfP.jpg

TTTu6ob.jpg

cMSECtL.jpg

Pepperoncini

cHSnH0z.jpg

That thai dragon is an absolutely gorgeous plant! I'm glad to see that your scorpion is starting to look a little better. I wish I knew what those spots were. The only thing I can think of is that maybe since it was growing slower to start, it couldn't all the nutes you were giving it and ended up getting burned. I dunno though.

chachie09 said:
 Question, everybody is switching to flowering nutes the next time around here, will it hurt the pepperoncini to just giver her bloom nutes instead of veg? 

Pepper plants don't have discrete vegetation and flowering growth cycles like some other plants. Since they put on leaf and fruit growth simultaneously, it's best to just maintain balanced nutrition consistently. 

Looking good!

Impressive technique with the topping and training of the shoots. I'll definately experiment a bit with this myself! I think it appears to have some definite advantages to do that!

Thanks all! One thing about this kind of training, ive noticed that i am watering much more often.  Im guessing that it is because an open space is kept between the plant and soil level allowing for more airflow over the soil.  Other than that, im loving it, we'll see how i do maintaining 24 plants like this in this years upcoming outdoor garden.  Going to be a handful! 

Those stem thickness is like hubba hubba man! What the hell you doing to them babies. :P Your'e plants are looking some kind of righteous brother!

Are you concerned about crown rot with the stems being in contact with the soil?

I've been paying pretty close attention and keeping space around the stems. Even if that means creating a small trench on the top soil. However, that's the benefit of keeping things trimmed and clean to allow airflow across the top of the soil.

Twas time to chop the pepperoncini!

Before:
Alh9PUB.jpg

After:

jEgePxm.jpg

This was the night before we left for vaca for 3 days.  Came back to 4 new 1/2" sprouts coming out of the main stem.  

Quick question, what would be the best way to harden all these off before putting them outside in a month and a half or so?

Updates!!! Solved my heat issues, and what do you know, they've taken off again!  Temps got up to 105 some nights, so my HGH and Scorpion started to drop flowers, the HGH dropped every single flower except the two pods that were set already.  Scorpion has absolutely taken off, Setting flowers like crazy!  Thai dragon pods are starting to turn red.  Found the first weeeee little red pod last night and tried it.....gotta say, it was quite a bit hotter than i expected.  But, very nice flavor, slightly fruity with that chinesey chemically finish.  Overall very happy with the results.  Pepperoncini has been topped and cut down to two branches, hasn't shown one sign of stress.  Next step is to let those grow for a week or so, and then top them, Resulting in 4 main branches all stemming equally from one stump.  Anywho, on to the pics!!

Hungarian Goat Horn

BCYjWfC.jpg

DAXqmEn.jpg

LAIOTgT.jpg

Thai Dragon

XwwjVMF.jpg

WCHRDmg.jpg

LDuRd1p.jpg

Scorpion

HvUEfse.jpg

Qgjl9oo.jpg

OPlpCHs.jpg

Well, my pepperoncini made my decision for me last night, i ordered 2 300W LED's this morning.  I was shifting things around in the garden, watering, pruning, you know, doing that gardening thing.  I got the wonderful idea to move the little pepperoncini more under the led, as she has generally only had the light of 1 85W CFL.  In under 30 min, she was wilted and flat on the soil  :tear:.  This was a VERY clear indicator of the strength of LED vs CFL.  I Will be saving quite a bit of money monthly as i am currently running about 525W, 420W of which is CFL, and i will only be running about 340W of LED.  However, this should still be plenty of light for my 5 sqft space.

Wow, those 10-week old plants are just awesome!  
The pruning and training is making some bushy monsters!  
Will be cool to see how your outdoor grow turns out.

Updates updates updates!  As you can see above, LED's are here.  Plants are loving it, including the pepperoncini, which i had worried about since the last LED incident.  Decided to trim up the scorpion a bit to see if i could boost her flower production, meanwhile, im boosting the pepperoncini with nitrogen to try to keep her from keeping her flowers and just grow. So far im still having to pick them off.  Hungarian Goat Horn is producing craaaaazy flowers, and they have all opened up at once with the switch to LED.  Pulled my first mini harvest from the Thai, as well as harvested the seeds from the cross pod, all of which look very healthy.

In other news, I am in the marked for a 2x4 grow tent.  Gonna do it big!

Hungarian Goat Horn

Canopy
1ImUUAc.jpg

Flowers

DejM6JE.jpg

Stems

rjzBudM.jpg

Scorpion

Canopy

geDA09R.jpg

Before trim

wduXFwk.jpg

After trim

9Wj4F9u.jpg

Pepperoncini

Canopy

fH1Xjui.jpg

Stem

Ab22u9T.jpg

Group shot

QKFxrHM.jpg

Dual LED mount

JYDBKXf.jpg

Everyone loves the LED!  Decided tis tim to let the pepperoncini flower, she got her first shot of flowering ferts today.  All others are quickly flowering and podding up!

Cabinet

xOrRju2.jpg

HGH

8646l3j.jpg

x5JoaoA.jpg

Thai Dragon

WeoWrIF.jpg

npaS7db.jpg

Scorpion

aN6eLuQ.jpg

QPObjjN.jpg

Pepperoncini

kSKf77v.jpg

sHduXIU.jpg

Thanks man!  Yeah as soon as the outdoor season starts, im thinking that these will all go into 15GAL pots and see what kind of beasts i can end up with. And then my REAL indoor starts.  Going to be starting a PDN, Bhut, and Cali Wonder bell, along with romaine lettuce, garlic, and a couple other greens.  I will be upgrading to a 4'x2' tent in a couple months here.

chachie09 said:
Well, my pepperoncini made my decision for me last night, i ordered 2 300W LED's this morning.  I was shifting things around in the garden, watering, pruning, you know, doing that gardening thing.  I got the wonderful idea to move the little pepperoncini more under the led, as she has generally only had the light of 1 85W CFL.  In under 30 min, she was wilted and flat on the soil  :tear:.  This was a VERY clear indicator of the strength of LED vs CFL.  I Will be saving quite a bit of money monthly as i am currently running about 525W, 420W of which is CFL, and i will only be running about 340W of LED.  However, this should still be plenty of light for my 5 sqft space.
Maybe you can answer a question for me.  If I run a 400watt HPS that covers a 4x4 space, how many watts of LED would I need to cover the same space?  If the question doesn't make sense, it's because I don't really understand LED lighting.  I'd like to run another 4x4 set-up, but I don't really want to run another 400watt HPS.  Would LED be cheaper on energy?  Thanks.  Great glog.

Back