• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pepperlover's Sus Biberi - Very Hot Turkish Hot Pepper

Anybody else try or have more info on these? I received some fresh peppers and think they're pretty good (and hot) - probably north of cayenne or thai. All I could find was "Sus Biberi" translates to "Ornamental Pepper" and seems to apply to a variety peppers. I believe it's an annuum. Judy may weigh in but I wanted to ask the forum as well. Get them if you have the chance!

HPIM5872.jpg

It is one of the many Annums grown as sus/ornamental in Turkey. 
The name Sus pepper stands for any kind of chile that grows upwards and hot/very hot. 
even though it is named as ornamental, it is not the reason behind planting or using. In fact, many of the Sus peppers are used as extra hot pickles in Turkey.
Also, there is another famous Turkish pepper called, Rosemary pepper= Biberiye Biber. Both Rormeny pepper and Sus are considered ornamental, yet edible and widely used in Turkish cuisine. Any pepper that is planted for pickling called Turşuluk Biber. Therfore, the All Rosemary pepper= Biberiye Biber are sus biber and Turşuluk Biber. But not all sus Biber are Turşuluk.
Here, we have different concept of ornamental pepper as being c.annum, colorful, nasty tasting, and just for the looks. In Turkey, ornamental pepper/Sue is any pepper that is short upwards and may be C.annum or Frutescens. 

I hope this helps 

So if I bought some of these, dried them, powdered them and used the powder to make my "cayenne" hot oil, it be a killer oil? Guess on the Scovilles?

Back