• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Hot to Serve a Properly Prepared Jamaican Mushroom...BANG!

This will be much too low brow for the pepper gourmand, or chef.  But, for the average pepperhead who loves beer, and his peppers, fried, look no further.  This has the added benefit of being very fast, and simple to cook.  No photos of the process, because it came together so quickly.  Serving photos, only. 

THE PLAYERS:

5 Jamaican Mushroom peppers, split and de-gutted
Flour seasoned with Lawry's
Buttermilk
salt
oil

Peppers were soaked in buttermilk while oil was heating, and flour was mixed with Lawry's.  Peppers were quickly drained, and dredged through the flour.  Into the oil.  Fry 1-1/12 minutes per side until light golden brown.  Don't heat oil too hot!  Remove to drain, and, sprinkle with salt.

Serve with a side of sour cream, and beer.  You won't regret it.

Man that looks killer! Haven't tried the jamaican mushrooms fried, but my wife does them up great by cutting off the top, taking out the seeds then stuffing with cheese, wrapping in bacon and baking til done. Will definitely have to try them this way though!

Ugh, man, that looks so yummy I've gained weight looking at it.. Resembles fried calamari.

I had my red mushrooms in an omelet, but I can tell this is a better use of them :p

The first thing I thought of was fried clams. The buttermilk really makes the flour stick to the pepper. The coating is light and crispy. Just too damned good.

texas blues said:
But Sven likes ranch.

And Ollie and Lena like queso.

Those crazy Norwegians dontcha' know.

I don't know where you're getting your info from. I just asked Sven. He said he's never heard of ranch, and he likes his fried peppers topped with sardines and washed down with pickled herring brine.

Yeah well Lena serves Ollie up lutefisk and lefse covered in queso dontcha' know.

And by the way...you're talkin' to drunk Sven.

Sober Sven likes ranch.

Back