• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Anyone grow Onza Amarillo before?

Well I think I finally Identified this pepper I have been growing for two years now.
Its wispy and weak and barely yields, but I just love their heat and flavor. It looks like a 3ft stick with about ten upright 1.5"-2" orange very thin walled pods. Almost no branches and sparce leaves, with a very small delicate root structure.

Anyone have any experience with it?

and I know, I know. sorry no pics

hogleg said:
Well I think I finally Identified this pepper I have been growing for two years now.
Its wispy and weak and barely yields, but I just love their heat and flavor. It looks like a 3ft stick with about ten upright 1.5"-2" orange very thin walled pods. Almost no branches and sparce leaves, with a very small delicate root structure.

Anyone have any experience with it?

and I know, I know. sorry no pics
not with the yellow,however i do with the brown one and it was quite possably the worst tasting pepper i have ever eaten, i hope yours is better though and that is granted its related to the red and the brown Chile De Onzo

thanks your friend joe

It sure looks related to the red one, but that gnarly brown thing that you say taste terrible doesn't look like it has much in common with the red and amarillo one. Yet I believe your right, they are all related. I like its flavor, and its sharp dry heat similar to Goatsweed. To me its SHU seems higher than the info I've read. I would rate it pretty close to Goatsweed hot.

THX for your input Joe. Its nice we can always count on you, to have some advice with the uncommon stuff.

hogleg said:
It sure looks related to the red one, but that gnarly brown thing that you say taste terrible doesn't look like it has much in common with the red and amarillo one. Yet I believe your right, they are all related. I like its flavor, and its sharp dry heat similar to Goatsweed. To me its SHU seems higher than the info I've read. I would rate it pretty close to Goatsweed hot.

THX for your input Joe. Its nice we can always count on you, to have some advice with the uncommon stuff.
your welcome

Back