• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Lime Juice

I love to use lime juice in my sauces. I do have the problem that it tends to make my sauces bitter if time passes. Does anyone have this same problem and how do you solve it? If I have it right it is because the juice oxidizes. Correct me if Im wrong. Thanks!!

andres said:
I love to use lime juice in my sauces. I do have the problem that it tends to make my sauces bitter if time passes. Does anyone have this same problem and how do you solve it? If I have it right it is because the juice oxidizes. Correct me if Im wrong. Thanks!!

I couldn't tell ya because nothing lasts that long around me.

I only use fresh lime juice. I do use a lot. Specially for a citrus fatali garlic sauce I made, but the lime tends to turn a bit sour over the days. I usually offset this by adding sugar, but I want a sour sauce for this. It goes great with the fatali flavor and gives it a non vinegar edge.

What's happening is your sauce is marinating in its own juices. You threw me when you said bitter, what you really mean is too sour. The sauce you are tasting a few days later is your product, don't go by the taste of the freshly made sauce. In other words, use less, wait a couple days, and taste. You'll find the right amount. For sauce to consume immediately use your original recipe.

Lime does have a certain bitterness to it. not extremely, but enough to put me off. fresh limes, store-bought lime juice and everything else are the same.

I have a hotsauce in mind that I wanted to make when I get enough peppers and one of the indgredients is Lime. I'm glad I read this thread. I'll taste a little fresh, then several days later taste more to see how it needs to be adjusted.

Omri said:
Lime does have a certain bitterness to it. not extremely, but enough to put me off. fresh limes, store-bought lime juice and everything else are the same.

I don't agree with the fresh, store-bought lime juice being the same Omri....there is definitely a difference in taste...the fresh squeezed makes great lime ade and is wonderful to make fresh margaritas with...JMO

I dislike the store bought lime juice....can't describe what I taste other than to say it is "flat"...

AlabamaJack said:
I don't agree with the fresh, store-bought lime juice being the same Omri....there is definitely a difference in taste...the fresh squeezed makes great lime ade and is wonderful to make fresh margaritas with...JMO

I dislike the store bought lime juice....can't describe what I taste other than to say it is "flat"...
I'm sorry, apparently I wasn't clear.
What I meant to say is how all kinds are slightly bitter, even if not exactly the same. the store bought can sometimes be a bit nasty, but I generally don't like limes.

understand now Omri...thats cool...I used to not like limes too...maybe it was the somewhat bitter taste...but now I love them and use them a lot in cooking and mixing drinks...they are especially tasty in bloody marys and margaritas...

I love lime juice... I use tons of it and all of my sauces have some in it. The lime itself shouldn't be bitter (I guess that's subjective, though), but the oil on the skin of the fruit tends to be. It is hard to get the juice out without some of the oil getting in. If you leave fresh lime juice sit for a couple of days it will oxidize and grow a bit bitter. It also depends on what type of lime you use (persian, key lime, king lime, etc)

Back