• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds need a picture of a seeding that needs water.

Hey does anyone have a picture of a seedling that needs to be watered so I can get an idea what im looking for? Thanks

dry-land.jpg

young seedlings (0-4 sets  of true leaves) really should never be "stressed" or wilted, they are so susceptible to just drying up and death in a day.

here is a couple that are really weak start flopping over / leaf curl because i didn't water them for a day after the soil dried out
IMG_20140129_113133.jpg

IMG_20140127_132113.jpg

IMG_20140127_132109.jpg

I want to water these cause there weight is telling me there dry but the seedlings aren't showing sings of needing water.
From what I can tell.

This guy true leaves are kinda crinkled.

this one's leaves are a little yellow.
juanitos said:
young seedlings (0-4 sets  of true leaves) really should never be "stressed" or wilted, they are so susceptible to just drying up and death in a day.

here is a couple that are really weak start flopping over / leaf curl because i didn't water them for a day after the soil dried out
IMG_20140129_113133.jpg

IMG_20140127_132113.jpg

IMG_20140127_132109.jpg
Yes thanks that's what I don't want to see thanks. So try to get them watered before you see that is the the key? I have mine in the normal sized solo cups 16 Oz and im watering from the bottom so I add 4 Oz of water to them for a watering. I understand that some will drink more then others so I wait till the cups wiegh less then 200g before I water. That leaves 20g of water weight in the soil because a dry cup of soil weighs 180g. That's my plan anyways.
Nova said:
If you let them get like the ones pictured in the link YOU HAVE WAITED TOO LONG! How many sets of leaves have your plants got?
most all have two and some have four. Thanks for the replies people.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=pic+of+a+wilting+chilli+seedling&biw=1600&bih=760&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=ctIXVJ_CLZCeugS17ILICQ&ved=0CBwQsAQ

yeah you should water before they look like that, i went 2 waterings a week i think, you can pick up the cup like you said and feel the difference, water for the one that goes dry first not wait for all of them to go dry in my opinion (dont want to lose any).

I had a variety that had yellowish leaves look like that, they were fine in the long run.

Hey so I've got my own picture now. My plants where in some serious need of some water. I've really begun to pick up on the cues from my plants and can tell not only bye weight buy also bye there demeanor when they need water. This pic is from two weeks ago when I left for 4 days.

Wilting may not hurt the plants in the long run, but it sure does ruin their day.  You can bet that a dehydrated pepper is not doing much growing. Those poor things ^ will take a day or two to fully recover.

If you can check them three times a day, go ahead and let them go until they start to droop a little.  If not, play it save and water when the cup starts to feel light.

IMO

Rather than weighing them on a scale (too much time, IMO), get used to the weight of the cups/pots. Pick them off the floor/shelf/counter just a tad when the leaves slightly droop, then water them good (soak and let drain thoroughly) then pick them up again. Both times note how light or heavy they feel. Pick them up at least every other day, and water them just before they are as light as they were when the leaves were slightly droopy. Yeah, super-droopy is not particularly good, especially for very young plants. Note also that the leaves will soften a bit before they wilt, so you can also judge by the feel of the leaves.

For sure it takes a little time but I'm really enjoying this growing thing.
I just look at them now and I can see the need if it's there.

Back